Tuesday 17 November 2015

Trying to bounce back

Ok
So I am struggling to snap out of diet mode
In just that short space of time
I got used to not eating junk food
And not eating after my evening meal
Then of course standing on the scale every morning is addictive
Especially when the numbers are going down
You see the thing is 
My eating has been disordered for as long as I can remember 
I know a bit about nutrition
But I think I really need to educate myself about healthy eating
Because I eat what I want 
When I want 
There is no rhyme nor reason to the way I eat 
I graze instead of eating fixed meals 
Although I do have a dinner every evening
But that doesn't always stay down 
So yes
I have a lot of work to do 
Because some where over the last couple of weeks 
I have slipped in to ED mode
Without even realising it
Dare I say it 
I am enjoying the feeling of being empty 
The dizziness when I stand up
The way my clothes feel looser
The false feeling of being in control
All this is making it difficult to get back on track

I am not underweight at all
But as I always say 
EDs have little to do with weight
You could be bang on a healthy weight
But be tortured inside your head
You may not be over weight or under weight
But still be caught in the midst of mental illness 
For me 
It's about my state of mind 
And my behaviours
And I know how quickly small issues can snowball in to a full blown relapse 

They say a relapse happens long before you pick up the drink or drug
Or your ED behaviours 
For me 
It started a few weeks ago
When I weighed myself for the first time in a long time 
And then the infamous navy jeans 
I really don't want to go back to being underweight and ill
I really don't 
But once your on the run away train that is an ED 
It becomes really hard to get off

The thing is 
I may have another relapse in me
But I don't know if I have another recovery in me
The energy it takes to pull myself out of the gutter is something that I don't know if I have any more 
But I should be able to do this 
Stop myself falling down the rabbit hole
I've caught this early 
And I think I can at least hold ground for the moment 

Following on from your comments
And something that Eve wrote
I am seriously considering finding someone to help me with my diet and exercise 
Or failing that
Really researching and educating myself about maintaining a healthy body and mind 
Again
I don't want to be underweight 
But I do want to feel comfortable in my own skin
My BMI now is 21
And I think that is in or around what I have always been when healthy 
I have put my body through a lot over the years 
Really used and abused it
I want to try and be a lot kinder to it
More gentle 
Because God knows for years I put it through hell 
Starving it 
Bingeing and purging up to 20 times a day
Injecting drugs in to it
And generally treating it like a dust bin

At the moment 
I am having a battle in my head
Over what to eat
When to eat 
How much to it 
It's absolute torture
I'm going around and around in my head
Fighting with myself 
Then feeling guilty when I do it
This is all very ED I know
It's scary how quickly it can take up residence again in our lives
Before you know it 
You are knee deep in behaviours
Something that I am really missing is Mary 
She was always so helpful and practical
And just talking it over with someone really helps 
I guess I could call her 
Even just for a quick phone chat
I also have my friend from treatment who I can speak to
And will hopefully see her in the next week
She is always great to talk to too
As she is fighting the same battle that I am

So 
I guess I just keep on keeping on
Keep writing 
Keep talking 
Keep eating 
Keep remembering how far I've come
And that I don't want to go back to that vain existence 
Keep trying to live my life the best way I can 
Keep being accountable 
Honest 
About my struggles
As well as my triumphs 
Keep connecting with others in the same position as me 
Keep my supports
My family 
Who are my biggest cheer leaders
My friends 
I don't have many 
But the ones I do have are precious 
My dogs 
Who continue to be the light of my life 
I'm not giving up
I'm not backing down 
Anorexia and bulimia 
I hope you are ready for war
Because I'm not backing down without a fight 
Bring it on bitch....

12 comments:

  1. Fight like hell, girl. Rawr! :) You DO have another recovery in you....but you also have the strength to fight back a relapse before it gets worse. Maybe take a hammer to your scale? I need to do that. My scale will almost always set me back a few steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Will SW
      I've been fighting my whole life to stay well
      So I hope I can do this
      And yes
      The scale will be my undoing
      Really need to stop weighing
      But also can't help myself
      You know? X

      Delete
    2. Yup. I totally know. You smash my scale and I'll smash yours? :)

      Delete
  2. A suggestion? I don't trust BMI's, and personally I think those numbers can be just as damaging as the numbers on the scale. According to whatever calculations BMI's are based on, I am only 2 decimal points away from being overweight. Now I know I am not skinny, but I certainly do not think I am that close to "overweight." So f**k the BMI.

    Seeing someone about nutrition, or even just researching it is a good idea. Anorexia loves compulsive organization--trick that part of your brain into being healthy by giving in to the OCD. Make lists of healthy foods you'd like to try, lists of recipes, lists of good carbs and carbs to avoid, etc. That always helps me. I love cooking, and honestly, recovery from anorexia has turned me into a master chef.

    Except eggs. I cannot cook eggs to save my life.

    Take the scale outside and burn it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know I think you make a frat point Mich
      I know thdt according to the BMI that some athletes are considered obese
      And again
      It's the numbers that get me and suck me in

      Yes, I think I will research about nutrition and exercise
      As I feel a bit lost where food is concerned
      I mean
      I know what is good and bad for me
      But I want to know what will keep me healthy
      Sustain energy
      And I also want it to be really tasty too
      As I love my food
      I'm sure there is a way I can eat well
      Still enjoy my treats
      And maintain a healthy weight
      So I will get on to that ASAP

      And yes
      I need to break ties with my scale
      Again
      Damn you scale
      You will be my undoing.... X

      Delete
    2. Frat point?
      That should be great point
      Silly me typing faster than my brain can process
      And silly autocorrect too x

      Delete
  3. Love and strength to you,
    and peace.
    So glad that you are catching it and working against it!
    The more practice one has at working against relapse, the more natural it is to do so.
    I believe you can do it, and I hope for that peace and trust for you too. Love, x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS some people find it helps to tell themselves "I made a slip in my recovery" rather than "I relapsed", or something more like that. So as not to end up convincing themselves they can't fight it. Because you can. You can always fight it, and you can always win too. (How many things in life is that true of? But it is true of this :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this
      I think you are right
      The word relapse has so many connotations
      It's a scary word
      A slip sounds easier to bounce back from
      And yes
      As ever
      I will fight until the bitter end x

      Delete
  5. I have thought about that Shelby
    I think it's a good idea
    If I could find the right person who would be sensitive to my body issues

    I mean
    At the moment
    I am eAting like a child
    The foods I choose
    And the way I eat them

    Thanks for the suggestion x

    ReplyDelete
  6. sensing just a bit of a theme here, Rubly…

    1ce Before your scales bit the dust [thnkg it read 'lo' rather than gv kgs/stns/lbs-?] cos the battery was kaput.
    @ THAT time you were debating whether to cease weighing or continue on [although deep dn, you alrdy knew-?? ; )]
    Now it comes up AGAIN…

    You're so clever, you alrdy kno what's best, what even FEELS right, yet here is Divine intervention 1ce more giving you a nudge-!!

    Please PAY HEED to it

    {Remember you felt so liberated whilst on that non-weighing streak. [You should look over those posts: They're actually quite the gd read-!!! *hint,hint*]}

    Also, loving you & Wills' plot-!!!

    1ce ye've done the deed, PLEASE don't re (Re-!) replace it!! let it be the end of Its line!!!

    " 'Rip,' scales-!!" *yourmassesrejoicing*

    <3 + ((Huggles)), Jils

    →'Bring it on'…← >: [)
    Indeed:
    'Beast-mode Rubly,' 'tis a Fiersly Beauteous thg-!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x