Monday 16 November 2015

Thinking it over

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my last post
I realise that it's not easy to tell someone when you think they might be going down a wrong path
Even as I wrote that post
I think I knew deep down that what I was doing was counter intuitive 
I was fighting against what my body wanted 
And needed to do
And I am now rethinking the whole weight loss thing 
As of this morning 
I've lost nine pounds
And my navy trousers most definitely fit
I have no need to continue on this path
Because I don't know if I'll be able to put the brakes on
I can't know when the ED takes over
As someone wrote yesterday
The line between losing a few pounds and the ED is a very fine one
In fact it's almost invisible 
I'm barely a year in to my recovery 
My body is finding its natural set point 
I think it's a good idea to lay off the junk food like I have though 
And concentrate on nourishing and feeding my body properly 
I swear 
I had been eating a lot of junk food 
Practically surviving on it 
And I know that's not good 
Again 
It's like it's all or nothing 
All the food 
Or none of the food 
Black or white 

Actually 
I don't think I've ever successfully dieted in my whole life
As in lose a sensible amount of weight while still feeding my body 
Fasts never worked for me either
I've always lost the most weight while bingeing and purging 
I suppose the body gets so dehydrated 
That the weight drops quickly
But even in the 11 days that I was trying to lose weight 
I think a lot of it is also dehydration
I haven't been purging much 
But admittedly
I haven't been feeding my body very well
Also
I had become more and more obsessed with the scale
Weighing myself a ridiculous amount of times a day 
And my mood and self esteem bouncing up and down along with the weight

Even at my lowest weight
I still allowed myself chocolate
Albeit I ate nothing else 
But I love my savoury and sweet treats 
I mean what is life without a little treat now and again?
I am a firm believer in everything in moderation
Including moderation
Whether I can put that in to practise is another matter 
I try 
I do
But again
My whole body and mind is programmed for all or nothing 
It doesn't seem to understand anything else 
They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit
Or is it 28?
I'm Not quite sure 
But I know I can get my eating good if I just put in a little effort 
Heck I've given up heroin and cigarettes 
Why is food so damn tricky?
It's like my last nemesis 
It's just so hard because I can cut heroin, alcohol and smokes out of my life 
But with food 
You can't do that 
Well you can 
But that would completely defeat the purpose 
Yes 
It's tricky to find a happy medium
Especially for people with EDs and addiction issues

Another thing is the numbers
I know I can get totally obsessed seeing the numbers go down
It's like a power trip 
That false feeling that you are in control
But of course you are in fact spinning wildly out of control

Someone mentioned yesterday 
About allowing my body to be the size it wants to be 
This is another interesting point
Before my ED
I was always around 54kg
But since my ED developed 
My weight has fluctuated a lot
I never seem to stay the same weight for long
Because of all the bingeing and purging 
I've been trying to stay in around a size 8 - 10
But maybe my body needs to be bigger for a while
I'm sure my metabolism is shot at this point 
And my body is compensating 
Because it's not always sure when it's being fed again
Or if I will let my body keep the food

Now my challenge is to get back to some sort of normality
Over the last week or so
I've become used to being hungry 
And almost even enjoying it
All of a sudden 
It becomes difficult to eat
And I don't doubt that it will be now

I will take it easy 
Rule no 1 is to stop weighing 
And to eat three meal and snacks
But still allow myself a treat when the fancy takes me
I guess I  am a work in progress
As I wrote yesterday
Recovery is not a straight road
God knows I make mistakes on a daily basis 
But I do try to learn from them
And not repeat them
That is the trick I think 

Yesterday's comments 
Reminded me why I write this blog
You beautiful and smart ladies have me done sterling advice 
And thdt is exactly why I wrote they post yesterday 
As I know you will tell me what I need to hear
Rather than what I want to hear
I thank you from the bottom of my heart
For reading 
For being there
For being honest with me
Even when it's difficult and awkward 
I appreciate it more than you will ever know 

Also
I lost a follower today
Is that because I disappointed you?




12 comments:

  1. oh no just lost my comment, just tried say that recovery is probably more a zig zag than a straight line, that i don't know cos I'm nowhere near there and i think you doing so good.. sorry much better first time around,,bit tiredy! thanks for your tx today.. lots love jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo
      It's true
      It's not a straight run
      And I've never been one to take the easy way
      That's just the way I am
      You will get there Jo
      I know you will x

      Delete
  2. This is why you're my recovery hero! There is no setback you let get you down for long. You recognize when you've derailed, and make a plan to get yourself back on track. Keep up the amazing work, Ruby. As always, you are an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw
      This is so lovely to read
      Although I don't know if I am an inspiration
      But it's so kind of you to say
      You are awesome! X

      Delete
  3. I sure do relate to that black and white style of thinking. All food or no food...it's tough to find a middle.

    You, my dear....have provided a little inspiration for me today, as I'm struggling a little. I love that you are sharing your experience here and I hope it continues to be a good support and a good outlet for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACCI ERASED ORIG!! this 1's a poor relation :(


    just checkin' in…

    Rubly, you ARE an inspiration;
    If you sense smthg is amiss, you unfailingly 'redirect;'
    [hehe, just hd a vision in my head of the GPS saying, "re-calculating"--but OC that's the wr UK accent-!] ; )

    You always follow courageously your true North, no matter what the situ; 'indomitable' I think is the word

    0ur youth pastor preached this wknd & spoke about bktracking to the source of the problem, then tkg a different route; how timely, you've actually Done it.

    Continue on; it appears you are feeling better--I'm so GLAD-!

    <3 & Huggles; Jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jils
      I am doing my best to get back on track
      With the help of you wonderful ladies
      I am blessed to have you all x

      Delete
  5. You know, I'm really blessed in that a trainer back home took me under his wing during my early recovery and showed me how it's supposed to be. He said you know, everyone thinks a 6 pack comes with dieting but to get abs you have to eat a lot more of the good stuff. To look like those fit people that everyone posts photos of you have to eat a lot. He showed me about macros, about lifting, about the scale not mattering and what actually matters is the pinch test. (where they use that pinch thing to check your body fat and do some math.) if you want the good stuff you can eat a lot more and the calories, fat, carbs, and protein ratios are different than say a candy bar. You can eat a lot more baked chicken and veggies than you can getting fast food and I think that helped me a lot because I could actually eat and it wasn't scary because calories were low and all the good stuff was high, like protein. I still struggle in times of stress as I've told you and cutting is a huge trigger for me. Cutting is when you go lower carbs to cut fat so a day for me looks like three whole eggs and three egg whites with 1/4 cup oatmeal. Meal 2 is a can of tuna with 1/4 cup nuts. Meal 3 is 4 ounces of chicken and 4 ounces of sweet potato. Meal 4 is a protein shake post work out. Meal 5 is a tilapia breast, half cup of steamed white rice and a cup or 2 of veggies. It gets hard because sometimes I'm hungry. That sounds like a lot of food but when you line it up its not but it's still 1400 calories plus working out. The food is amazing for you and it's clean. I crave bad things sometimes still but there's a goal in mind and there has to be a respect for your body to be like, hey, this is going to help me cut fat but I'm still feeding myself to maintain muscle definition. That was me going off on my fitness rabbit trail but I've found there are ways to control portion and calories but still in a positive manner that benefits and doesn't hinder me. I've been so hesitant to go on a cut because of my ED and my propensity to take it overboard but I think once you hit recovery for real you see that that lifestyle is not desirable and you give yourself liberties and enjoyments that you never would have in that ed mindset. Most people don't eat healthy healthy and most people don't track macros but it can give insight into what your body needs to be where you feel comfortable. If you're feeling fat, take a walk. Take a jog. Dance. Be active and look into creating a lifestyle, not a diet, that nourishes you mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this EVe
      You make so much sense
      I would love to be more educated about food and exercise
      You sound like you are in a really good place
      And that is so inspiring!
      I am going to look in to finding out more about this
      Knowledge is power
      And I really want to stay healthy

      Love to you x

      Delete
  6. best comment possible!

    love <3 (to Shelby and Ruby)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just hit the nail on the head Shelby
    So so true
    And exactly what I needed to hear x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x