Saturday 2 April 2016

B

Again
An obvious one
But B is for Bulimia
As I wrote yesterday 
Over time 
My ED turned from anorexia in to bulimia
I guess I just got the point where I was so hungry 
That I went on an almighty binge 
As I got older 
The harder I found it to resist food 
In my younger days
I could go for days without eating so much as a morsel of food 
But my body just won't let me do that any more 
Up until very recently
My bingeing and purging was out of control
At my worst 
I was purging up to 20 times a day
Every day was the same back then
I would wake up
Walk the dogs 
Go to the supermarket 
Buy or steal binge food
Go home 
And spend the day going round in circles from the kitchen to the living room to the bathroom
I had a path worn 
It's the closest thing to hell that I've ever experienced 
Bulimia doesn't get as much attention as anorexia 
People with anorexia are treated with pity 
Where as people with bulimia are thought of as out of control and disgusting 
Both are deadly illnesses 
But bulimia just doesn't get the same attention
Like all EDs
Bulimia thrives on secrets and lies 
Often the sufferer manages to maintain a healthy body weight
So no one would ever know unless you told them 
For me 
I lose weight when I purge 
So it was often quite plain to see that I am struggling 
Even as recently as Christmas I was really struggling 
But have managed to get somewhat back on track in the last month
It's not easy 
I battle every day with my ED
Some days I win 
Some days I lose 
But most days are good days 
And every day that I manage to get through relatively sane is a success 
I write my log in the hope that I can help others and myself fight the war against these illnesses 
For me 
Writing and horse riding have helped fill a hole that my ED left
My life improves even despite of myself and my self destructive ways
I am hopeful for the future 
I have a feeling that something wonderful is going to happen...

13 comments:

  1. I started binge eating 5 years back due to stress and low self-esteem. I wanted to feel the numbness instead of facing my problems through stuffing myself every time until I could feel my stomach was going to burst any moment. This went on over the yeara and I put on a lot of weight, until my colleague commented that I looked like a pregnant woman. That comment stuck with me, making me commence a binge-and-starve cycle. I understand how you feel about the bingeing and inability to control yourself. Also, I'm glad to have come across your blog and learning about your journey to overcome your life obstacles. Keep writing and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to read that you have been struggling so much
      But I do feel hopeful when I read your comment
      I hope you feel positive for the future
      We can make huge strides
      One baby step at a time x

      Delete
  2. This is really powerful stuff! I hope you continue to fight this and have more good days than bad
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right that bulimia doesn't get the same attention as anorexia. It's not glamorous and I think because of that, many sufferers hide away. There is hope in your story...even on the bad days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anorexia is not really glamorous...

      Delete
  4. B is for burden ,that is what i choose to carry around everyday rather than get better, and that is the sad truth x jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're hopeful. That's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't elliptical man lovely wish i was married to him!!

      Delete
    2. He is anonymous
      EM you are a breath of fresh air!! X

      Delete
  6. In my travels through ED's nothing has been as shameful as the bulimia. The binging and then the purging, double whammy. Plus the stealing, both food and money to buy food. But we are stronger than that, we can work us out of that hole, I have to believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree CP
    And I also agree that we ca get out of it
    We just have to x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely relate to the pain and suffering you have described in this post as I have also suffered from the same heartbreaking disease. Bingeing and purging is something that can really sneak up on you and start so small but grow into a huge problem. The fact that you are writing about your struggle is great because it means that others will be able to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x