Saturday 2 April 2016

C is for Cravings

Cravings are something that I deal with on a daily basis
Being a former drug addict
A former alcoholic
A former smoker
And a former anorectic 
Cravings are part and parcel of my life
They can hit you when you least expect it
And I can be triggered by almost anything 
Tinfoil 
Spoons 
Certain smells 
7up
I could go on and on
The first major thing I gave up was heroin
That was no mean feat
And to this day 
Is the most difficult thing I've given up
And overcome 
But even now 
After being away from the drug for quite a while
I still get cravings 
I can't watch anything about drugs in films or on tv
Can't listen to certain music
And just being in Dublin is one massive trigger
I also don't go back to the town I grew up in
As it too is a trigger in itself
A craving is a funny thing
Whether it's a craving for heroin
Or vodka 
Or a smoke 
Or a craving to lose weight
They all start off the same way
With a longing to escape
And I am someone who loves to escape
I get bored easily
And if I'm not doing something that captures my attention
Like dancing or my dogs or horse riding 
I find that my mind wanders
The devil makes work for idle hands and all that

They say that a relapse happens long before you pick up the drug
It happens when you begin to let things slip and slide
When you stop going to meetings
When you start isolating 
When you start making excuses 
Good recoveries are made on good foundations 
If you don't have a good foundation 
Your recovery will inevitably crumble and fall
But how ever your good and solid your recovery 
You will encounter cravings 
It's nigh on impossible to avoid them
They can hit you like a smack in the face  
You might be thinking about something completely innocent 
And before you know 
You are reminiscing about the good ol' days 
And wondering how soon you can get to your nearest connection
The trick about cravings 
Is to catch them before you do anything stupid 
As soon as you are aware of it
To do something about it 
So you don't run away with it in your mind
There are many things you can do before a craving turns in to a slip 
Talk to someone 
Get to a meeting 
Ring a friend/member/sponsor 
Think about what will happen if you do use 
It is possible to stop yourself 

I am off cigarettes about 20 months 
However 
I still get horrendous cravings for a smoke 
I know now that they only last minutes 
Sometimes just seconds 
And I know if I just hold on 
It too will pass 

Are any of you doing the A-Z challenge?

11 comments:

  1. what's this A to Z challenge that you and Mich are doing?? i never got the prospect of it.

    i do have to say though.

    i think that you have the ability to somehow squash those cravings. i think you don't ever get rid of the cravings to escape, to do something more, to have something to make you smile. but you do replace them with something that won't end up hurting you, whatever that may be. i think that's the key anyway. i think we humans would always want something more.

    i crave good health. i know that's a little weird.

    a few years ago, if you told me i looked healthy, i'd take it as an insult but honestly, a few days ago, someone told me that i look like i'm the smaller side but i'm healthy and i was buzzing for days. it's funny how that works.

    keep on working on your recovery. there is a light at the end xxx

    i do know that you can do this. no craving, no matter what it is, can bypass your mind if you don't let it.

    keeping my fingers crossed, Ruby xxx




    i love you.



    this was messily and hectically written so i hope i didn't say anything that might offend you!





    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's s challenge to blog every day
      Starting with the letter A
      And working your way through the alphabet
      I'm not sure what happens when we get to Z
      But I guess I'll find out!

      That's exactly it Sam
      Finding ways and means to deal with life in a positive and healthy way
      Sam you could never offend me
      You are too lovely
      And too kind
      I can't imagine you would ever offend anyone

      I love you too dear friend x

      Delete
  2. While a saw a ted talk on how to break a bad habit, thought about my smoking and about you.

    watch it sometime when you can - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moW9jvvMr4

    - with too much love
    PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have truly climbed a mountain of life. Congratulations on your successes, I know your life is better.

    I have not had other addictions but I am a former smoker. I quit January of 1999. I was able to resist during the tough part by remembering I no longer had that nasty cough. Now I rarely think about it. I know why former smokers hate smoking. I reached a point where I really hated the habit.

    Visiting from A to Z. Nice Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome!

      Yes
      I am so glad to be an ex smoker
      To be honest
      For me it was a financial thing
      But now over a year later
      I can see there are so many more benefits.

      Thanks for stopping by
      Going to check your blog out now x

      Delete
  4. Ruby! I too can identify with the terrible cravings that come from being an ex smoker, an exercise addict and an Anorexic trying to LIVE again. They hit you like a train and it's just SO HARD to find something to fill that enormous void that opens up before you.
    I'm even fighting the urge to go running up a hill as I type. I'm so driven that it hurts.

    Sending you so much love and admiration. You really are such a strong person. I pray life gets better and better as you continue along the path you're on.

    firefly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Firefly
      And good to hear from you

      I know
      It's s struggle
      But we will get there
      I hope you are able to do something nice for yourself
      Instead of running up that hill

      Take care friend x

      Delete
  5. You've echoed a lot of the things I've learned the last few months. Cravings can be rough to manage and come at us out of the blue, but you're right...we can stop it from turning into a slip. Your story and your strength is inspiring.

    I'm doing the A-Z too! I've had a lot of fun randomly reading other bloggers A-Z posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay it's fun isn't it?
      Although I did it wrong and did C yesterday instead of today
      No matter though
      I can get back on track

      Going to check your blog out now x

      Delete
  6. Hi, I am a USA citizen, am here to testify how i got my Ex back with the help of this God-sent called Dr Unity for the great things he has done in my life.. First of all i want to thank mareen for the post she made on how Dr Unity helped her in bringing back her lover. At first when i saw the posting i was so happy and in the other hand so scared,That this might not be real, Then i decided to give it a try in which i contacted Dr Unity and told him how my lover left me for another lady for the past 3years and i have been lonely and depressed without him,So i asked him if he has helped anyone called mareen and he said yes, that was the lady he helped in bringing back her lover. I said good and i told him that if he can help me in bringing back my own lover,He laughed and said once i have contacted him that my problem will be solved.He said that my lover will be back to me within 48hours, Truly when the 48hours was completed i got a text from someone saying am sorry, then i decided to call the number i saw it was my lover Steve voice.i was so happy he was begging me and crying on phone, That he is ready to do anything that will make me happy in life,So i told him to come over which he did,As he was coming he came with a brand new Car as gift. i am so happy today with the help of Dr Unity. He has proven to me that he is not going to leave me for another lady again and stay with me forever, Am so happy today and am also thanking mareen for posting this early.Dr Unity you are truly a man of your word. He can also any kind of sickness and he can solve any kind of problems in this world. Friends i believe Dr Unity is a man to trust and believe on. You don't need to cry anymore Dr Unity has been sent to clean our tears you can contact him on his Email:( Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or cell phone +2348072370762).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x