Monday 16 May 2016

Monday

Apologies for the post free weekend 
The weather here has been glorious 
So I've spent most of it outside
Away from phones and TVs and computers 
As you may know 
Here in Ireland 
We pretty much get pants weather 
As in much rain
Much wind
And an awful lot of cold
But about once a year 
Just to tease us 
Mother Nature gives a little taste of what it's like to live in a sunny climate 
So for the last week
Our weather beaten country has been bathed in sunlight 
And boy do we appreciate the good weather when we get it 
I spent Saturday out in the garden 
In shorts and a vest 
I fell asleep in the sun a couple of times 
And by evening I looked like I was wearing red socks 
And a red t-shirt I was so burned
My skin felt hot and tight 
But it was my own fault 
I didn't wear sun cream
And I stayed out way too long 
It was hard to sleep that night 
As any pressure on my skin was agony 
I woke up the next morning 
Hoping it had begun to turn brown 
But it was still angry and red

Sunday morning 
And I had a horse riding lesson booked 
In the place where I fell off the horse three weeks ago 
I can't lie 
Having no been away for so long 
I was nervous to go back 
I thought about cancelling 
But I wanted to go back 
I didn't want my fear to get the better of me
So I headed out for my 10am lesson
I wore my new boots 
And really felt the part 
I arrived to see that Susan the instructor had a different horse for me 
A beautiful chestnut coloured one called Princess 
Susan said she thought Princess was suited better to me 
As I am 'a tiny little thing'
Princess was also older and slower 
And is what they call a 'confidence giver'
Age was definitely smaller than Sonny 
And more biddable 
I told Susan I was nervous 
So she talked me through everything 
And let me walk around the arena for a while 
Just to get my beatings 
Straight away 
I felt much better on Princess
More comfortable 
More in control 
On Sonny I felt like I couldn't control him 
As we walked around 
Susan constantly spoke to me 
To try and relieve my tension and anxiety 
I decided to tell Susan a bit about myself 
So she knows where I am coming from 
I explained that my previous horse riding was more horse therapy than lessons 
I also told her that I Am recovering from an eating disorder 
And horse therapy is part of my treatment 
Susan immediately apologised for calling me a tiny little thing 
But thdt didn't bother me at all 
I know she didn't mean any thing by Other than making an observation
I felt comfortable enough with Susan to tell her this 
As I just wanted her to know why I am horse riding 
And how my life has been effected 
Including my self esteem and confidence 
Susan was lovely 
And it felt good to be honest with her 
I really have no problem telling people about my past 
I don't feel ashamed 
I don't feel embarrassed 
It's my life 
My story 
At least it was my story 
Now I am writing a new chapter 
Where I throw myself in to life 
Where I live my life 
The way I want to 
Where I work 
I study 
I swim 
I dance 
I ride horses
I laugh 
I love 
Where I don't live a life dictated by drugs or food 

Soon I was trotting on Princess 
And it felt good 
All the while 
Susan was correcting me 
And giving my instructions 
It felt amazing on Princess 
So light I felt like I was floating 
So fluid and streamlined 
I asked Susan if we would try cantering today 
She left it up to me 
I really wanted to try 
As I love to canter 
And I wanted to face my fear
Susan gave me a bit of notice 
Then gave me the sign
As she told Princess to canter 
I held the safety strap
And sat in as much as I could 
I felt Princess speed up 
And I anchored myself in the stirrups 
With my heels down as much as I could 
As we went in to the canter 
I felt comfortable and in control 
It felt amazing 
The speed 
And the power of the horse is exhilarating 
It felt so good to face my fear 
After cantering a few times
I felt so much more relaxed 
Susan said I looked like a different person
Much happier 
And less worried 
I was just glad to have stayed on the horse!
The half hour was over so quickly 
And to cool down 
Susan brought me outside for a wAlk up the lane 
The cool breeze was welcome 
And we chatted some more 
Myself and Susan clicked really well
And I can genuinely see us being friends 
All too soon 
The lesson was over 
We brought Princess back to her stall 
And went around to the office 
I paid and thanked Susan 
And headed for home 
I always feel so good after a lesson
It's a natural high
A real adrenaline rush 
I feel so grateful to have found something that I love to do 
And get so much out of it
I'm meeting new people 
I'm around animals 
I couldn't be happier 
It's also great for my confidence 
And that ripples out to other areas of my life too 
I really feel like I am growing 
Getting stronger 
And feeling more capable and competent 

Today I had my doctor first thing 
My own doctor is away 
So I had Nice Woman Doctor this morning 
It was a quick one 
She asked me about the pancreatitis 
And told me that I should get bloods repeated in a couple of weeks
To check my Amaylase count 
Just to keep an eye on things 
After collecting my meds 
I went for a walk on the beach with the dogs 
We had a lovely time 
And they both went for a swim 
I did a little bit of shopping 
Before heading home 
Mum is still on crutches after her operation 
But she is much more mobile now 
She needs a lot of help 
And I am basically running the house at the moment 
Which I am actually really enjoying 
Of course I Always do my fair share of house work 
But at the moment the majority of the work is down to me 
The cooking 
The cleaning 
And anything that needs doing 
It feels good to be in control 
And I don't mind it at all
On Wednesday 
I am travelling to Dublin with my Dad
He is going to see a consultant about his hands 
His hands have lost a lot of power 
And the muscle seems to be wasting away 
Which also seems to be spreading up his arms 
He needs a lot of help 
He can't button his buttons 
Can't open jars 
Anything that requires grip or power he can't do
I am really hoping that there is something that can be done to help 
As he is really disabled as he is 
Anyway 
Fingers crossed 

So yes 
Things are ticking along nicely 
I feel good 
I feel well and strong and content 
Life is good 
And it's amazing to be able to say that 
I Am so grateful to be in a good place 
God knows it's taken me long enough to get here 
But better late than never right?
Right 
I feel hope for the first time in years 
I feel like I have a shot at living a happy life 
I feel positive 
I feel strong 
And I am loving life 
I can't ask for more than that.....


9 comments:

  1. It seems as if your life is finally coming around, and that makes me very happy. You work so hard on bettering your life, so you deserve everything coming to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks CP
      That is so lovely of you to say
      I feel it too
      That things are finally coming together for me
      I'm so glad I held on and rode the bad times out
      They say in recovery that you can achieve a life beyond your wildest dreams
      And I feel like that is happening for me
      At long last x

      Delete
  2. Your lessons are doing you a world of good, I'm so happy. Animals can be the best therapy. I had a therapy session with kittens yesterday, it was much needed. :)

    I hope the nice weather holds up. My cousins have been raving about the weather. One of them has even managed to get a tan, which is UNHEARD OF on Achill Island... Meanwhile, here spring seems to have decided to stop and go into reverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true Mich
      Animals are amazing healers
      Horse riding has been a life line for me

      Yes the weather has been unusually good
      I myself got scalded on Saturday
      And have been in agony since
      I now look like I am wearing a white tank top and shorts
      The rest of me is red

      Hope you doing ok my friend x

      Delete
    2. LOL you must share photos of your amazing sunburn. My sister burns like that without even going outside... I don't burn or tan, I think I'm just so intensely white the sun just bounces off. Hope your burn heals to a nice tan.

      Delete
  3. I love your posts like this you sound in good spirits sorry i cannot comment really anymore computer just freezes but try to read hen i can. Take care youre doing so good love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo
      Do stay in touch
      I would hate for us to lose contact
      Text or email me anytime
      Hope you are doing ok? X

      Delete
  4. Definitely better late than never :) It's been such an honor to be allowed in to your life and journey over the past four years, and now, seeing things come together, it just makes me so happy for you.

    Also, I actually still have a little parcel I've been meaning to send you for months! My budget went to pants with hospital and I forgot all about it. I'll try to get it posted in the next few weeks.

    <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Bells
      That means a lot
      I feel the same about you
      We both started this blogging journey together
      And it's been amazing to have come through the last four years with you

      Ha!
      I'm the same
      I have a couple of things to send to you
      But my budget is also pants at the moment
      But don't worry
      I will get them to you as soon as

      Love you x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x