Wednesday 1 June 2016

9 To 5....

Today is a glorious day
Today is utterly marvellous 
Because today 
Today I have a day off
A much needed day off
I don't even have horse riding today 
It's now 11am
And the whole day stretches before me 
With a whole lot of nothing to do
I woke up this morning with a start 
Thinking about what I had to do today
Usually if I'm working or heading off somewhere 
I get up an hour early to walk the dogs
I always make sure they get a walk
As they are hyper if they don't 
So I woke up this morning 
Then had the most delicious feeling 
When I realised that I had sweet f#*k all to do today 
I slept in until 8 30am people!
It was utter bliss
And it's great to feel like I earned my day off
I swear I am sleeping the best I ever have 
I can't make it past 10pm these nights 
I don't even read before going to bed 

I got up 
All the while enjoying the feeling that I had no where to be 
And nothing to do 
I had breakfast with my sister 
Then got dressed and headed out with Honey and Lea 
I try and bring them out early these days 
As it gets too hot during the day for them 
So
I piled the dogs in to the back of my car 
And we headed for the beach 
Where we had a lovely walk
Honey is looking like quite a character these days 
Her fur is long and shaggy 
She has one eye 
And ahe needs a good wash
She's like a little old lady 
And at the grand ol' age of eleven 
I guess she is 
After our walk 
I did a bit of shopping 
Before heading home

Yesterday 
I was in work in the morning 
To meet the other staff members 
They all seem lovely 
And again 
Georgina went through some policies and procedures 
It's great that she is so clear and direct 
Sometimes I need things spelled out for me 
Just so I am absolutely certain about what I need to do 
As I was standing there 
Side by side with my fellow workers 
I felt a great swell of pride 
I felt like now I am a working woman 
Part of the work force 
Part of a team 
Contributing to society 
And earning my keep 
It's been a long time since I had that feeling 
Like I am strong and independent 
Taking care of my own side of the street 
Earning money 
Maybe even treating myself to a little something 
When I get my first pay check
I have promised my Mum and sister that I will bring them out for dinner 
I can't wait to do that 
To give back some of the love and kindness that they show me all the time 

I am back in work tomorrow 
And I have 8 hour shifts every day until Tuesday 
So I really am being thrown in at the deep end 
But I guess that's the best way to learn 
I am super excited to start 
I was incredibly nervous and anxious 
But I just feel ready 
Ready to work 
And work hard 
There's nothing more I can learn 
With being on a live shift 
I've done all the theory I can 
It's time to put it in to practise
As for confidence?
Well 
I think it's a fake it till I make job

So this is it 
I'm starting work 
I can't quite believe it 
If you had told me a year ago that I would be starting work this summer 
A real proper grown up job
I would not have believed you 
In fact I would have laughed at you 
I was in such a dark place 
Since coming out of treatment two years ago 
I have been up and down and all over the place as far as my recovery was concerned 
But I think since Christmas 
I've been fairly steady and stable 
My weight is good 
My mood is also pretty good 
Starting horse therapy has been the catalyst I think 
It has literally been a life changer 
I've made new friends 
Real friends who just want the best for me 
I get to spend time with beautiful animals 
I get to learn a new skill 
I couldn't ask for more 

In AA and NA
They say that if you follow the programme 
You will obtain a life beyond your wildest dreams 
When I first heard this 
I thought it meant in terms of money and material gains 
Nice house 
New car 
Pretty clothes 
Plenty of money 
Now I know different 
Now I know that a life beyond your wildest dreams means something else 
It means being clean and sober 
Wanting to be clean and sober 
It means having peace of mind 
Which you just can't put a price on 
It means feeling good about myself 
Liking 
Even loving myself 
It means getting through the day without hurting myself or anyone else 
It has precious little to do with money 

So 
Please say a little prayer for me 
They I get on well in my new job 
Please send some positive vibes my way 
It's so exciting to have something positive to write about 
Please take comfort in the fact that I have come from a very dark place 
And know that it is possible to live a life without ED or addiction

Right 
I'm off to make a cup of tea 
And soak up some sun
Have a good Wednesday ya'll 
And I'll see you on the next post....

10 comments:

  1. "I slept in until 8 30am people!" this made me laugh. i've slept in until 12 30, though in my defence, Ramadan is starting soon and the last thing i want is to be up at 8 30, waiting for it to tick down to 6 30 so i can have a cuppa and a meal! believe me, the wait from 12 30 to 6 30 is excruciating enough.

    "And it's great to feel like I earned my day off" i can just about tattoo this onto my arm. i know exactly what you mean.

    i've never asked, but suddenly i'm curious: what's prompted you to name them Lea and Honey? they're lovely names for sure - and they work nicely together (both ways even - Lea and Honey, Honey and Lea), i'm just curious to know how you've picked them out! xx

    Ruby, this post makes my heart warm up inside. you truly are an astounding character.

    "I think it's a fake it till I make job" i'd vouch for this. sometimes, i feel just about ready to have the Earth swallow me up, but i'd not let anyone else know that! i've gone from being stiff and apprehensive to being able to practice body language cues as if i really do believe what i'm saying. i still have terrible self-esteem but at least it doesn't show as much. as for confidence... i didn't even used to have enough of it to tell a waiter that i wanted to have. now, i have no problem saying exactly how i want it prepared and repeating it just so they didn't forget. precisely. i mean what's the worst that could happen? really when you think about it? it's a very irrational fear it is. we are very funny things, we are... humans. we can recover from inhumanly difficult addictions and yet telling us "you look great now" leads us to three days of self-doubt, critical analysis and apprehension. why is that? that doesn't make much sense now. "what's the worst that could happen?" is a permanent part of my thinking process. trust me, 9 out of 10 times, the 'worst that could happen' isn't really that bad.

    i love you so much and aye, you! you'll do just fabulous you will. i've got a good feeling about this job! and i wouldn't be surprised if you'd knock it out of the park in the first try even!

    hope i've not said anything to offend you.

    have a lovely day xxx




    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sam,

      Yet again
      Another beautifully kind comment
      You say the most lovely things Sam
      You have a big heart
      I can tell that from reading your words

      Oh yes
      Honey and Lea
      Honey was already called Honey when we got from the shelter
      It suited her so well they we decided not to change it
      Lea was named after my first dog Leo
      I just wanted to honour him in some way
      Now I think Lea really looks like a Lea

      Sam you could never offend me
      Never worry about that
      You aw to caring and kind
      So please don't ever worry about that

      Thank you Sam
      For shining a light on my Wednesday
      You are truly an incredible person
      And I am so blessed to know you

      I think we came to each other's blogs late
      But so glad to have found you

      Delete
  2. Sad when sleeping until 8.30 feels like a miracle. I'm usually in bed by 9, asleep by 10. YE GODS we're turning into old fuddy duddies!

    I miss days off. But I also enjoy being in a band a lot more than I enjoyed days off, so I guess that's the trade-off...

    I know you will do well, but I'll pray for you anyway.;)

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Mich
      I swear in in my pyjamas every night by 7pm!
      But I embrace my fuddy duddyness
      I was young for long enough
      Heck I'm in my mid thirties
      I reserve the right to have naps
      And generally act like I'm 60 years old! X

      Delete
  3. Is the job walkable from your house? Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not walkable
      It's about 15 minutes by car
      If you are wondering
      I have applied for my test again
      I'm just waiting for a date.... X

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a marvellous day off! And GOOD LUCK! You're in my thoughts and prayers xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh!!! I'm so excited for you! I smiled the whole time I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!!!


    Shelby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome to read :) I'm glad everything's working out so smoothly for you. Fingers crossed for another ace week!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x