Tuesday 7 June 2016

Day off!

Today is a wonderful day 
As I am now off work until Sunday
The feeling is amazing 
Having worked four long shifts the last four days 
I am more than ready for a rest
Work is going well
Of course I am still very green
And forgetting things left, right and centre 
But look
I am doing my best 
And they tell me in work that I am flying it
Yesterday 
I was on with Georgina 
And she deliberately left me on my own to do breakfast and lunch 
I had a bit of a crisis of confidence in the morning 
As I dished out too many bowls of porridge 
And it went cold 
And had to reheated 
But 
As Georgina says 
You live and learn 
My colleagues couldn't be more helpful 
They are endlessly patient
And always willing to lend a hand 
There are to chefs who also work in the kitchen 
They are brothers 
32 and 38 
I was helping one of them prepare chicken yesterday afternoon 
And he asked me what age I am 
I told him to guess 
He said 23 
Ha!
That made my day 
He couldn't believe that was 34
I love to give people a good shock sometimes 

Anyway 
I am settling in well 
And finding my bearings slowly but surely 
Georgina is an amazing lady 
I was chatting with her over tea and toast yesterday 
Her background is in hotels 
And you can really tell
She doesn't waste a bit of energy 
Every move she makes 
She is doing something productive
She moves at lightning speed 
And manages beautifully the balance between hard work
And having the craic 
She is someone I really look up to 
She is a working woman 
With a busy family life 
It can't be easy 
But she makes it look effortless 
I am really enjoying work though 
I get up
At 7 am
To be in work for 8am
I prepare the breakfast 
Which is just a continental one
Then I have a cuppa 
Before the guests arrive 
The dining by room is up stairs
And the kitchen is down stairs 
So I have a path worn on that stairs 
There is a dumb waiter to put the food in
Which essentially is a small lift for the food
I serve the food 
Chat to the guests
And try to keep on top of things 
It was mostly ladies in this week
With only a couple of men
And they are so lovely 
They are people who don't have much money 
And going away on holiday is a massive thing for them 
I told the ladies that I wouldn't see them again 
As they are all leaving Thursday 
And I'm not back until Sunday 
Well let me tell you 
I got hugs and kisses and such lovely compliments 
That truly made all the  hard work so very worth it

The chef keeps a small dinner for me every day 
And I have to say 
The food is really tasty 
It's none of your fancy stuff 
Just honest home cooking done well
My favourite kind
Sometimes I get a chance to eat it 
Sometimes I don't 
And in that case I will bring it home 
And split it with mam 
So 
After breakfast 
I wash up 
Clean the dining my room 
As reset it for lunch 
Which takes a little while 
Lunch is at 1pm 
And it's three courses
So there's quite a bit to do 
I swear I am on my feet all the time 
And it's exhausting 
Draining 
By the end of the day 
I am pretty wrecked 
All I can do is flake out on the couch L
But it's a nice feeling 
A feeling that I've really earned my rest 
Even writing this post 
I keep nodding off

I mentioned my Dad in a post a few days ago 
And that he received some bad news about his health 
To be honest 
I am in denial about the whole thing
And work is a great distraction
You might remember that I went to Dublin with him a few weeks ago
To see a consultant neurologist 
And Dad had some tests done
Basically he is losing the power in his hands and arms 
And it seems to be getting worse all the time 
So last week 
He got the results 
And the consultant thinks it might be MND 
Dad has to go to the top neurologist in the country for a definite diagnosis
I had never head of MND
It's short for motor neuron disease
So it's really serious 
I was speaking to Georgina about it 
And her sister has it 
She is only 42
She asked me if I know much about MND
Which I don't 
She said not to read up on it 
It will only upset me 
I have deliberately not looked it up 
I really just don't want to know at the moment 
Because I know it will break my heart 
Of course I will find out for myself 
But at this moment 
Ignorance is bliss
Dad has asked me not to tell anyone 
But I need to talk to people 
I can't bottle this 
I need an outlet 
Anyway 
All we can really do is make the most of the time now, while he is still relatively ok
One thing Gergina said 
Is that we have a long and hard road against us 
But it's my Dad I feel sorry for 

Right 
I'm off to have a sleep 
I can barely keep my eyes open 
See you on the next post....




10 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for the way you've just jumped right in to your job. It sounds like you're doing such a super job of it and the clients seem to love you, why? Because you're amazing!

    So very sorry to hear about your dad. Maybe the fact you've caught it early will be a good thing? I'll keep you all in my prayers.

    Sending much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks partner
      That means a lot

      To be honest
      I am very much in denial about my Dads situation
      We were just talking about it at dinner
      It's really all just very upsetting
      But thank you for your prayers x

      Delete
    2. Sometimes it's easier to be in denial about things, it's like you don't have to face up to it yet? Please know that I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to in confidence about it. Don't suffer in silence xoxo

      Delete
    3. Exactly!
      It's like a defence mechanism I guess
      Aw thanks Hun
      I really appreciate that
      You are a star x

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your dad. Denial is just one way of coping with things until you are ready; I was the same with my dad when he got his cancer diagnosis.

    But it's so good to hear that you like your new job and that it's going well! You deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting settled into this job!! Its such a nice feeling helping people and doing a good days work. I hope eating at work is working out for you - its one of my biggest challenges when I'm working.
    Sending positive thoughts your way πŸ’πŸ’
    -Niqi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting settled into this job!! Its such a nice feeling helping people and doing a good days work. I hope eating at work is working out for you - its one of my biggest challenges when I'm working.
    Sending positive thoughts your way πŸ’πŸ’
    -Niqi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tricky one Niqi
      And my fellow workers sometimes have to remind me to eat
      But I will get there
      Thank you x

      Delete
  5. Sorry about your dad. Xx shel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x