Friday 1 June 2012

Happily ever after?

Hello my lovelies,
I hope this post finds you all happy and healthy,
I can't believe it's June already, my cousins wedding abroad is less than two months away and I still have no dress, no shoes, nothing.
I'm not great at putting clothes together so I need your help. I'm 5'4, small frame, my hair is brown now but will be blonde for the wedding. The wedding is in Italy so it will be hot, do you have any suggestions of what I should wear. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

What I really wanted to write about today is relationships or boyfriends. I gather from reading your blogs that a lot of you are in relationships and some are married. I myself am single and have been for a long time. I had my first serious boyfriend at age 17 and we were together for about 6 years. We both became addicted to drugs though so it was not like a normal relationship. We were more like partners in crime, we didn't go on dates or meet each others family. We used drugs and that was about it. I had a couple of flings after that but because I had stopped drinking by this point it was harder to meet people.
My next boyfriend I met in drug treatment (I know very classy) Nothing happened while we were in treatment but me hooked up when we had both left. It was amazing how many people actually got together while actually in treatment. People were secretly meeting up in the middle of the night to get it on. I think because we were all living together in close quarters and all those hormones flying about the place contributed to this.
So I met this guy who I will call John. There was a spark between us and we both could feel it. Because I couldn't go near him (no physical contact allowed) it made me want him all the more. Nothing happened between us and I left treatment first. He then left and we met up the first chance we got. He lived on the east coast and I lived in the west coast so I booked a b&b and planned to stay the night. It was pretty awkward at first and our first kiss was sweet but clumsy. We were both so awkward that we decided to go for a drink (bad idea for two addicts) so be basically relapsed that night.
I continued to see him, going to his place one weekend and mine the next and neither of us were going to meetings. Eventually the inevitable happened and we ended up using one night. That was it then, we were both back on drugs.
Things went from bad to worse and there was one terrifying night when John overdosed in my house ans I had to call an ambulance. We both knew things couldn't continue like this so in the end the relationship fizzled out.

So I guess I've never really been in a relationship clean and sober. My eating disorder also contributes to me being single for so long. There is a guy who comes to do some jobs around my house and he expressed interest in me and we even went on a few dates. He tried to kiss me once but I just don't have any feelings for him. He is kind, sweet and an all around good guy but the feelings just aren't there. But even he has found  someone else now and is engaged to be married.
I guess what I'm trying to sat is I envy those who are in loving relationships. I am at the age where people normally settle down, get married and have kids but when have I ever been normal?
I don't even know if I want to get married but maybe that would change if I met the right person. Not to sound too cheesy but I suppose I have to get to know and love myself before I can love someone else. Who knows, maybe I'll meet someone at the wedding.

Oh, remember I posted a couple of days ago that I was tempted to steal a pair of sunglasses from the chemist, well I had to go there again today and I' ashamed to tell you that I took them.
I'm beyond disgusted with myself.
I wasn't even going to admit to it but I have to be honest about my dishonesty. Wow, that's a complete contradiction but you see what I mean.
And the stupid thing is I don't even need sunglasses, I have plenty of sunglasses. I could have bought them, they were 45euros.
I swear I need my head examined, this is getting out of hand. It used to be just food but now it's other items like jewellry or makeup, all things I don't want or need.
I feel like I have let you and myself down and I really think I need to tell Mary about this before I get caught.
The embarrassment and the shame don't bear thinking about.

Thanks for reading this, any advice greatly appreciated,

Much love to you xxx



























16 comments:

  1. Hmm. What to wear at a wedding. Well, not white (presuming the bride is in white, that is)! I would go for something muted, neat and short, if you know what I mean. Don't go for overly dark colours as it's in Italy and will be hot. You might be able to escape with a royal/navy blue number, if it's sleeveless and above the knee. Just go for something simple and cute.

    Personally, I've never been in a proper relationship. I'm only 18, I guess, but it makes me vaguely sad that virtually everyone I know has either been in a committed relationship, or at least been in love. I've never felt 'in love' feelings for anyone in real life, at least, not to my memory.

    I have a huge commitment phobia and can be impulsive, so I don't know how I would fare in an exclusive relationship with somebody. I guess I haven't met anybody I like enough to consider spending all my time with them. Romantically, that is. I've invested a great deal of time and effort in my platonic and familial relationships but never in a romantic one.

    I can't even conceive of having kids even though a lot of my female friends say they're starting to get 'broody'. I've had trust issues with men for a long time due to the fact that I have felt intruded upon by nearly every single man or boy I have known. I am also ridiculously practical and straight-forward when it comes to liking people, and can often rationalise myself out of having any sort of affectionate emotions towards someone in that way. I guess it all comes down to a fear of being vulnerable. I can thank my parents' relationship for me developing that nice little complex.

    About the sunglasses - and the shoplifting in general - I can't tell you I condone it, but I definitely understand why you are doing it. When people shoplift it isn't about the money; I've had many 'wealthy' friends who have done it in the past and it's reflective of their mental state, not because they wanted something they couldn't afford. All I can say is, as soon as these feelings get 'sorted out' in your head, you will begin to see the pointless nature (and the danger) of what you're doing, and realise that just like with drugs, or alcohol, or any other addictions you've had to deal with in the past, they can only be controlled once you feel safe and happy in your own skin, without the buzz of stealing/drinking/using to rely on.

    I'm also a firm believer that a period of abstinence from whatever dangerous behaviour you're engaging in can help take the heat off, and help you see things more clearly. You need to find something else to pour your nervous energy into as it sounds like you're a bit of an adrenaline junkie (like me). Also, shoplifting can give one a sense of power or euphoria similar to taking drugs, because every time you avoid getting caught, you feel like you've outsmarted the system. The important thing is, you've realised what you're doing is wrong, and that's step 1. Step 2 is finding a safer, legal alternative that produces the same kind of 'high' if you like.

    I don't mean to sound sanctimonious, I am just going by my own experience and what I have heard.

    I hope you're well honey
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I'm so sorry, i didn't mean for that to be so long. Guess i wanted to say more than i thought! :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gabrielle and you are so right I think I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I need to take up rock climbing or sky diving. lol!!
      And yes the shoplifting has nothing to do with money and you don't sound sanctimonious at all, I really appreciate the advice,

      Much love xxx

      Delete
  3. I have been stalking your blog since yesterday. it is a bit of a relief to read other struggle when they are so similar to your own. It is funny I envy single people lol. I have really never been single got married to my first husband at 17 lasted a year and half. Left him moved home meet the man I am with now about a month later. then about a month after that my grandmas house burnt down so I just moved in with him cause I had no where else to live. left him 9 months later moved to nevada meet my next husband and only after a month married him (WTF looks so bad when written out lol) that was a match made in heaven (not) left him after 3 months moved back home and got back with the guy I am with now and have been with him off and on forever. I dont even know if I could live by myself. Not waiting on someone getting their meals cleaning up after them. I am sure some day you will find the man someone that is strong and will help you not hinder you. Have faith hun he is out there looking for you also. You have a great blog BTW very easy to connect with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linny,

      Thanks for your comment,

      I was glad to have found your blog too, it's great to be able to identify. I'll look forward to reading more of yours,

      Lots of love xxx

      Delete
  4. Hey doll, I hope you are well, I am happy you were honest, you are not a bad person, I guess its a bit like an addiction. Maybe you should tell Mary, maybe she can help you stop? Because I would hate for you to get caught..

    Honey, none of us are what anyone would deem "normal" I certainly dont think I am, although I try my best to appear "normal". So dont feel different or left out, everyone lives different lives. I think its hard to meet people if you dont get out there and put yourself in social situations. I met my current bf in a social situation, he was a friend of a friend and we all went to the beach together.. So maybe at Zumba you may meet someone? Thats if you start the classes, then at least you have some common ground too. I personally think alcohol/clubs are the wrong ways to meet a person you want a relationship.. But then thats just my opinion hun.

    OOooh dress wise, I would say a nice maxi dress or maybe a cocktail dress, cos they are both summery, I would maybe go for a neutral colour or maybe a peachy colour, depends on what style of clothes you like..

    Jane norman has some really nice occasion dresses and have a sale on right now!

    Much love hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweetie,

      You are so right, there is no such thing as normal, I think I over think things way too much.
      I hope you are doing ok today and the maxi dress suggestion is great, thank you,

      Much love to you xxx

      Delete
  5. I have always had relationship problems. Since I was 12, I have been in abusive relationships. Honestly, you have to just wait for the right one to come along. Cliche, I know. But my bf who I am with now, was my next door neighbor and the sweetest, sexiest man in my eyes. So, if you have patience, the right guy will come in your life at the right time sweetie =)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, I'm so happy for you that you are in a loving relationship, you deserve it,
      Hope you are well today,

      Lots of love xxx

      Delete
  6. Ooooohhhh, fashion, exactly what I can help you with. Hmm, a wedding in Italy, it'll be pretty hot, so you'll want something cool and lightweight, so stay away from a lot of polyesters and knits. Maybe a nice flowy chiffon? I don't know about you're personal style or budget, but I'm guessing you live in Europe. Try Asos (asos.com), they have a huge selection of things in every style and price range, or if you want something more modern, try romwe.com, they're a bit pricey, but they have super cute things. If it was me, I would do one of two things: a colorful/interesting dress with basic shoes, or a basic dress with interesting shoes. Get a color that suits your skin tone, but nothing too stand-out-ish. Always try to cinch the waist, no matter what shape you are. I'm personally a fan of strapless dresses, but you can always do something one shoulder.

    Sorry, it's a bit of a rant, if you want I can find some suggestions and post them. Just let me know your style and budget and I can help you come up with something. I love helping style people, so this is up my alley. Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's great advice, thank you so much.
      I live in Ireland and I'm going to have a look in town tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on. Definitely looking for something cool and comfortable I'll take your advice in mind when I'm looking, much love to you xxx

      Delete
  7. http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Petite/ASOS-PETITE-Exclusive-One-Shoulder-Asymmetric-Dress-With-Belt/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2093187&cid=8799&Rf981=3677&Rf961=3341&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Lemon this is quite pretty in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bigggg advocate for yellow dresses, especially in the summer! so that totally gets my vote! I got a really cute yellow sundress for like 10 dollars at Walmart last month, it's like a nice, pale yellow that goes great with my blonde hair! But yeah, definitely a cute sundress regardless!
    I think you said it perfectly that you need to get to know and love yourself before you can love someone else. I know coming from someone with an ed this is weird, but its so true. I dated the same guy for 5 years, then we broke up for a year and a half... but we're okay now and by some miracle, we're back together. But it was good to know that I could be happy single. A lot of my friends don't understand how important that is yet, and so their relationships don't last because they get too needy, so just remember, love yourself and love will come when you least expect it! <3
    Goodluck and Stay strong love <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing you relationship past sorta. I enjoyed reading this. Not that I enjoyed what you what you went threw but your honesty and wanting to understand the depth of relationship and if you have a real one.

    Sorry but I have no advice to give on the shoplifting part. I think you are off on the right foot by not looking at it. Baby steps...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd go for a dress with an empire waist, with a nice flow-y skirt... think greek goddess. Empire waists are flattering on everybody, and they're gorgeous and quite dressy, so should be perfect for a wedding. Was thinking something like this http://www.dress-pictures.com/d/4066-2/ABS+Allen+Schwartz+Bead+Chiffon+gown+with+an+empire+waist+dress_deep+shirred+Vneck_Chiffon+adorns+the+floorlength+dress+in+c.jpg !^^ I'd go for something lighter than black since it's in Italy. Depends on your colours I guess, but green or cobalt blue tend to be gorgeous on both brunettes and blondes:)

    Thanks for sharing your relationship stories. I've been single for a long time too, never really had a serious relationship. Great things come for those who waits, ey? :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you have been through so much, and thank you for being so honest. I haven't been in a proper relationship either, they have all been abusive, so I have avoided men for a few years. It terrifies me that I'll never be able to have a loving, proper relationship with anybody, even when I stop attracting abusers, because I can't see how they could love me and want to be with me.
    You've come a long way, and nothing is going to ever be the way it was, not now with all you have learnt and all the hard work you have done.
    Please try not to beat up on yourself about the sunglasses. It's another way to hurt yourself. I hope you can tell your therapist so that she can talk about it with you?
    Hang in there xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x