Saturday 10 May 2014

Darkness to Light, 2014

Myself, my Mum and Lea and Honey did the Darkness to Light walk this morning in aid of Pieta House
Pieta House is based in Dublin and does great work to help people who suffer from depression and self harm as well as families who have lost someone to suicide
The walk began at 4 15am
It was a 5km walk/run (needless to say that we walked)
The idea was that the walk started in the dark and then finished just as dawn was breaking
I heard about it a few weeks ago and was determined to do it so I roped in my my Mum
And of course Lea and Honey

My alarm went off at 2 20am
My first thought was 'Why the hell is my alarm going off so early?'
Then I remembered why I had to get up
Lea and Honey were totally confused when I got them up from their cozy beds
We all piled in to the car and set off
I was driving and it seemed to take forever to get there as the weather was terrible
Eventually we arrived and there seemed to be so many people
A lot more than I had anticipated
We were directed in to the car park and I parked as best as I could
We registered
Got our Darkness to Light t-shirts (in a very fetching canary yellow)
And soon it was time to set off

There were so many people
There must have been a few hundred there
Some were running
Most were walking
We hung out at the back where all the dog owners seemed to gather
Luckily the rain held off and in fact it wasn't cold at all

The walk took us all around the town in a loop
At first Lea and Honey were a bit wary around all the people but they soon settled down and seemed to really enjoy the walk
Dawn was breaking just as we finished the walk and it really was very symbolic
Hot cups  of tea were waiting for us when we returned
All in all it was a great experience

I took some photos
Some are quite blurry so apologies for that
Hope you enjoy.........

Proof we were up!

Cuppa to start the day/night

Some were more prepared than others!


When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!



They only had large t-shirts left so I wore mine over my clothes


Honey was ready or her bed by this stage

What's going on?

Cup of tea and a smoke at the finish line


Lea still doesn't know what just happened

I need my beauty sleep!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Great job on the walk. There is a similar walk in Philly. It's Out of the Darkness. I learned of it after my brother killed himself. Mental illness sucks!

    Hugs to you and your lovely mum too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ

      Gosh sorry to read about your brother, it seems we all have been touched by suicide and yes mental illness does sucks royally but it was great to be part of this walk

      Hugs right back at ya x

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant concept, to start in the darkness and finish as light breaks. I've never heard of anything like it before but it sounds like it's for a great cause. I'm glad you had a nice time with your mum and pups. Beautiful photos. I always get Honey and Lea confused. I assume Lea is Honey because of her color.
    Love you Ruby. Hope you're doing okay <3 xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x