Sunday 11 January 2015

5 months

Today I am five months smoke free
I had my last cigarette on 11th August at 10 30am in my aunties garden in London
I had been building up
To it for a couple of weeks
My uncle had brought me home two cartons of cigarettes from Turkey
That's four hundred individual cigarettes
I decided that when I had them smoked
I would give up
I deliberately chose a time when I was away from home
As I figured it would be easier to quit away from my usual routine

The two cartons of smokes lasted me barely two weeks
That's almost thirty cigarettes a day
I smoked my head off
Now I wonder how I had the time to smoke that many a day
But you know what?
I thoroughly enjoyed every one
I was not one of those people who was a reluctant smoker
Oh no
I loved smoking
Loved the ritual of it
Taking a cigarette from the box tapping the head on the box
Lighting up a flame
And taking that first glorious drag
I loved the social aspect of sneaking outside with someone to share a smoke
The way you could strike up a conversation with a fellow smoker
 I loved it all

My favourite smoke of the day was first thing in the morning
Making a cup of hot sweet tea
Settling down at an open window
And for those 5 - 7 minutes
I was in heaven 
Lost in my own thoughts
I did my best thinking when I was smoking

All of this sounds very romantic and glamorous
But it's not
It's really not
Being a smoker is tough
More often than not you are a social pariah
Banished outside away from everyone else
I can remember when you could smoke in pubs
On trains
When no one would bat an eye lid if you lit up right in front of them
I remember the first time I was in hospital
You could smoke right outside the building
My care assistant would push me on my wheel chair down to the smoking shelter 
And we would simultaneously light up
Now you can't even smoke in the hospital grounds
How times have changed

Then there are the health issues 
Although I have to admit
This never really bothered me
Because for most of my career as a smoker I didn't care if I lived or died
And of course the big elephant in the room
I didn't want to stop smoking
Because I didn't want to gain weight
Not on your nelly

No
The one thing that got me was the financial cost
At ten euros a pop 
I was spending €100 a week on-my precious   cigarettes
I am on a disability allowance
A very fixed income
So that left me with little or no money to spare
And when my bulimia was raging
Food was another expense
And so my money rarely lasted the week
I was constantly broke
Always borrowing money
Always oweing money
It's not a nice feeling
I couldn't save any money
I had no spare money for incidentals
Needed help paying for my car expenses
This really got to me
As I really wanted to be financially independent
Or as much as I could be
So there was only one thing for it
The smokes had to go

So on that morning of the 11th August 2014
I settled down on the bench in my auntie b's garden
With a cup of tea
I had my book there
But I decided not to read
I wanted to enjoy and savour
Every last puff of that smoke
And I did
It was one of the most enjoyable smokes I ever had
But all too soon
It was over
And it was time to put it out 
I said my goodbyes
Stubbed it out
And walked in to the house
And in to my life as a non smoker

Giving up while I was away
Turned out to be a good idea
I didn't have a fixed routine
So there weren't specific times when I smoked
It wasn't easy though
I was so afraid of the dreaded weight gain
But I was gaining weight anyway
So I thought what the hell?
And I did gain weight
And probably over shot my set point
But thankfully my weight seems to have settled at a BMI of 20
Praise the Lord my weight has settled

So it's been five months
And it has been hard
But not as hard as I thought it would be
I still dream about smoking
I wake up panicking
Then I remember I haven't smoked
And relief floods through my body

I still love the smell of cigarettes
I love to get a whiff of second hand smoke
I was in my living room last week
And I got a smell of smoke
I followed the scent
And found my father smoking a cigar out the kitchen window
So I guess my sense of smell had improved

But I am glad
I'm happy to be a non smoker
Say it with me people
I
Am
Non
Smoker

This is a little cigarette case I bought in London a few years ago


This is a cigarette purse I bought also
I wanted to be like Betty Draper from Madmen

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your self-control. It's impressive that you could simply say "I'm not doing it after this one" and really quit. I'm not a smoker but most of my friends are so usually I just stand awkwardly with them, not smoking, but talking outside, not to be excluded from smokers conversations ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you K
      I guess I made it sound easy
      But it's hard
      I still miss them
      And just like drugs
      I know I could relapse given the right circumstances x

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed! I've seen so many relatives try to give up the smoking and no one has made it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thank you CP
    That means a lot x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done sweetie!
    I have never smoked, ever.... So I really don't know how hard it must be, but I think it's tough and under these circumstances....
    Wow!!

    That'll be a smoke free Starbucks meeting, come april!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely
      And yes
      Coffee/tea in April
      Most definitely smoke free x

      Delete
  5. how strong are you to take on so many challenges at once and be winning?! i just can't seem to get motivated to even try.only 5ish a day but its symbolic isn't it so i am thinking you can do anything if you want .commented late on your plans for walking the way,think it will be fantastic.lots love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jo
      It doesn't matter how many we smoke
      It's what they represent
      Keep trying though
      I smoked for 20 years
      And I really had to work up to it x

      Delete
  6. So proud of you for making it this far! I quit smoking June 1st, 2014 so it's been about 7 months smoke free for me, and I know how hard it can be! I definitely enjoy being a non smoker though, so much money saved, and I do overall feel better, less lethargic.

    Keep up the good work!
    <3
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby, I am so so proud of you every time you update on your quitting progress. You just keep smashing challenge after challenge, you're really a Wonder Woman :)

    Unfortunately I also love smoking like you did, every aspect of it. I love the senses, the smell, the taste, the feeling of smoke. Even with COPD, I only feel motivated to smoke less when I feel the financial strain. I think that's going to be the hardest thing about saving money this year, is not spending it on smoking extra.

    My goodness, those cases are adorable. I don't think I've ever seen a cigarette purse before. I used to have an amazing leather Jack Skellington one, but got rid of it when I first tried quitting when I was like 15.

    <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is absolutely incredible.

    5 bloody months. how time has passed.

    <3

    I am so proud of you, Ruby. in so many senses. you are amazing. you are so strong. you are absolutely brilliant.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x