Monday 2 March 2015

Starting a blog

I was asked a question recently 
About starting to write a blog
And did I have any tips for someone who wanted to create a blog
This is a really good question
And I wish I had had someone to ask when I was starting mine

I started writing my blog April 2012
I knew very little about blogs
Although I had been reading a few about eating disorders and recovery
It seemed like such a great thing to do
And a great way to connect with others in the same situation
I was up to my neck in my ED
And I desperately craved to be around others like me
So I decided to start writing my own blog
I knew very little about blogs
And I am not the most technically minded person in the world 
So it was baby steps all the way
My blog now gets about 15 000 unique visitors a month
And it's always exciting to get comments and emails

So
Why blog?
Well first and foremost
It is just a really good hobby
If you love to write and connect with others
Then blogging is definitely for you
I have made some amazing friends through blogging
And I am as close to them as I am to people in my real life

Next
Blogging is fast becoming one of the post popular ways to communicate information
I was reading an article just yesterday
How bloggers are taking over the world
So it is definitely a good way to stay in the loop of what is happening right now

I had to decide what the theme of my blog was
I think it's good to have a theme
So people know what your blog is about
In my case I chose addiction and EDs and trying to overcome them
But yours could be about anything
Cooking
Dogs
Photography
The possibilities are endless
And there are always others who will have the same interests as you
That is the great thing about blogging
There is a whole community of people who are in the same situation as you
And they will welcome you with open arms

So now you know what you are going to write about
Time to create your blog
First you need to choose your blogging platform
This is the site that will host your blog and there are many
Blogger
Which is probably the most user friendly
Wordpress which is the biggest platform
Tumblr which is a really interesting way to post
I chose blogger
Although I have used Wordpress in the past
I definitely found that blogger is the easiest to use

Then I had to create my blog
Choose a URL
Your blogs address
Your blog title 
And your user name
I would keep your URL short and catchy and not  too difficult to remember
For your user name you can choose your real name or a pseudonym 
I choose Ruby Tuesday
As Ruby is close to my real name
And also because I love the song Ruby Tuesday

Now it's time to design your blog
And figure out how you want your blog to look
There are many free templates on blogger and Wordpress
So I am sure you will find something that suits you
And they are easy to use
Even for a technophobe like me

So now you have created your blog
It's time to write your first post
But first you need to decide whether you want to write anonymously or not
There are pros and cons to both
For the first few months
I wrote anonymously
And that was great as I could write anything
Safe in the knowledge that no one new who I was
But then I decided to make my blog more open
And started posting photos
So my blog is no longer anonymous
I would also think carefully about who you give your URL to in real life 
As then that person can read your blog whenever they like
Something to think about

So
In your first post
You will want to introduce yourself
I would make it short and snappy
Tell everyone who you are
What your blog is about 
And maybe a few tidbits about yourself
And of course always leave people wanting more.....

Then you will want to decide how often you post 
I used to post on Mondays, Wednesday's and Fridays
But now I tend to post everyday
I think posting regularly is great as people will then anticipate your next post

If you have started a blog
You will obviously want people to read your blog
So how do you do that?
Well you read and comment on other blogs
Then people will get to know you and your blog name
And will most likely check out your blog
And when you leave comments 
Write thoughtful and considerate ones 
No just 'Hey follow me and I'll follow you back'
And comment on blogs that are about a similar subject to yours 
That way people will be curious about yours

As you know
Blogs have followers
But don't write just to get followers and comments
That won't work
And you'll just drive yourself nuts
Write from the heart
And the traffic will follow

As time goes on
You will most likely add more pages to your blog
Maybe an About Me section
Where people can pop in and see the person behind the blog
I have many pages
Mostly to do with the topic of my blog
I add more and more as I think of them

I hope this post was helpful to those of you that are thinking of starting a blog
Do let me know if you have any questions
And please do comment if you have any other tips
Happy blogging!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ruby :) although I've had plenty of blogs on different sites these tips still help ^^

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x