Friday 8 May 2015

General Update

It's Friday 
And I am getting browner by the day
I just signed up to my second round of one hundred minutes on the sun shower
And even bought tan accelerator lotion 
Which cost €28 
And better be bloody worth it
During the summer
A tan is essential for me
It's the only way I can face wearing less clothes
I live in Ireland 
So I'm probably being presumptuous thinking that the weather will be good
But
I live in hope that the sun will shine
And I will have to peel the layers of clothes off me

I can compare tanning to an eating disorder
You know the way when you are in the grip of the illness?
And you are losing weight
I know I used to always tell myself 
Just ten more pounds
Just five more pounds
Just two more
Well it's similar with tanning
I think to myself
I just want to get a little bit browner
Just a teeny weeny little bit
The goal posts are always shifting
And you never get to a place where you are happy
You always want to push it that bit further

In other news
My weight seems to have stabilised 
At a BMI of 19-20
I can live with that
I can handle it
When I was a lot thinner
A BMI of 19 was the worst thing I could think of
And the funny thing is
That I now feel smaller than I did when I had a BMI of 13
Go figure

I am still reeling from the news of that guy  who died 
I was in touch with a school friend
Who told me that this guy was just out of rehab
And had relapsed days after leaving
That's the thing with relapsing
After being clean got done time
We become opiate naive
Which means that our tolerance is very low
And do the risk of overdosing massively increases
I know this guy has been struggling with addiction for a long time
And now drugs have claimed another young life
It's just not right 
He would have been around the same age as me
His younger sister was in my class in school
It's just so sad 
As I know his family fought endlessly to get him clean
But unfortunately 
Others can't get clean for us
They can't get us well
It has to come from the person
I know that if love and support could  have got me clean
I would have gotten well a long time ago

I'm still attending meetings
And have swapped numbers with some members 
The thing about meetings 
Is that they are open to anyone
Anyone who wants to get clean and sober
There can be a lot of sick people in those rooms
Heck even I'm sick
There are people  who have an agenda
Or who just want to hook up
They say that we should stick with the winners 
People who are doing well 
And who have good recovery behind them
So that's what I try to do
I think that you get back what you put out
Do if you are sending out vibes that you use
Then you will attract that kind of person
And if you project that you are clean and sober 
I think you attract that kind of person too

My anxiety seems to have lessened an awful lot
It really was taking over my life
And effecting everything I did
It's a horrible place to be in 
And fear and paranoia are best buds with anxiety 
I'm not sure why 
But in the last few days 
I feel more grounded
More steady
Stable
I feel a bit stronger in myself
More able to cope
The relief is massive 
The fact that I can talk to someone 
Or drive somewhere
Without the feeling that I am going to have a complete meltdown 
Is a freakin' miracle people!
I tell ya 
It has transformed my whole life
And it feels like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders 
Like I can breathe again
And that in turn has hugely helped my confidence
The fact that I can get on with my day and not feel like I want to curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and cry like a hungry baby
It's progress
I'm moving in the right direction 
At least I think I am

Tonight 
As in tomorrow morning 
At 4 15am
The annual Pieta House 5km darkness to light walk is on
You might remember that I did this walk with my mum last year
Pieta House deals with people who are suicidal or self harming 
They provide their services got free and they are based all over the world
And the walk takes place every year

The walk starts at 4 15am
In the pitch dark 
And as we walk the light seeps in
The birds begin to sing
And it's very poignant
And very moving
I love to do this walk 
As Pieta House provide such a great service
And suicide is a huge problem in this country
Especially with young men
I think most of us have been affected by suicide 
Whether we know someone who has attempted to end their life
Or maybe we ourselves have attempted
So I think it's a really worthwhile cause to support
Even though we will have to get up at 3am
I still don't mind
If it helps some one 
Then it is more than worth it
And yes
I will post photos of said walk tomorrow

That's all from me today   
Enjoy your Friday x

5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and admiring you Ruby.

    ff x

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you doing the walk, glad you feel stronger,much love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my dear.
    I had heard of those walks and I am so proud of you, I admire you quite a lot you know.
    You do a lot of things that leave me thinking and admiring you a great deal.
    It's a wonderful cause, and I wish I could have joined you.
    We've all been touched by suicide on some level, or way, and it doesn't get enough attention in my opinion. At least not here. I hope to see a walk of those around here someday.

    As for the tanning. I think with disordered thought patterns it is to be expected to fall in to those patterns in other things (especially if you are working to put a break on it in the eating disorder department) It makes sense in any case, your brain craves that milestone structure. Just as long as it's focused on a safer outlet ^^
    I'm sure you look beautiful and tanned this summer, I love the look (though I tend to burn easily) I have to be careful with lotions and creams because I work all day in the sun during the summer. I get quite brown, though nowhere near as dark as my full Spanish friends xD I get quite the surfer look, tanned and freckled and the sun and sea salt bleaches my hair in a weird way xD

    I'm really glad you are feeling happier and more in control, calmer and safer, you deserve it, you are awesome.
    Take care of yourself my dear
    *hugs*
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x