Tuesday 5 May 2015

HP

It's Tuesday
Yesterday was a bank holiday
So as I write this 
I am sitting in the waiting room of the doctors
I don't particularly like bank holidays 
There's something kind of lonely about them 
And spent much of yesterday comatose on the couch
Asleep at least 

I really wanted to get to a meeting last night
I hadn't been to one since last Wednesday
And really needed to get back on the horse
I was planning on going to an NA
But was having a lot of trouble trying to peel myself off said couch
Everyone keeps telling that I should ask for help
From God
From my Higher Power
From whoever it is that watches over me
So I decided to give it a go
It went something like this 

Hello?
Em hi it's Ruby here
But you already know that
I know I don't talk to you as much as I should 
And I only do when I need something
But I really need your help right now
Please help me find the strength to go back to meetings
Please help me put last Wednesday behind me
I really need these meetings 
So it would be great if you could sort that out
Lots of love, Ruby 

I wasn't expecting anything to happen
But not five minutes later 
Marie texted me and asked me if I wanted to go to a meeting
Mmm truth is stranger than fiction
She never texts on a Monday 
As she has college
But because of the bank holiday
She was off
texted her back that I would love to go
And we arranged to meet
Was that my higher power at work?
You tell me......

I called in to Marie for 8pm
We picked up another girl
And set off for the meeting
Which was about half an hour away
I was not looking forward to the drive
As my paranoid head had me convinced that the girl we picked up doesn't like me
But what's new?
I never believe that anyone likes me
Maybe because I don't like myself

We arrived at the meeting a little late
We slipped in the door 
And took the nearest seats
It was a women only meeting
And I was glad 
It was actually my first one 
Despite my anxiety
There was a lovely atmosphere in the room
And I felt instantly relaxed
One by one 
The speakers went around the room
It was coming up on my turn
And since my last little prayer went so well I decided to say another one
To ask my HP to help me to speak honestly and openly
And to not feel afraid or anxious
I spoke
As honestly as I could 
I felt only a little anxiety
And it felt amazing to talk so freely
It really was a lovely meeting
With some amazing ladies
I was so glad I went
And so grateful to my friends for their support

In my car on the way home
I turned down my radio
And spoke out loud on my own in the car
Thanking my HP for pulling me through 
For helping me get to a meeting
For bringing such wonderful people in to my life
And for helping me believe in myself again
People
I am a believer
Maybe there is more to this Higher Power than I first thought

I've often heard people at meetings talk about God as they understand him
And there's a lot of talk about God doing for us what we can't do for ourselves
It never really meant that much to me
But I am beginning to see how it can help
And it is a comforting thought to think that there is something 
Something bigger than me
Than all of us
That is watching over
And looking after me
I don't know if I believe in God in the traditional sense
But my mum always tells me to pray to my grandmother who died a couple of months after I was born
That makes more sense to me than an all powerful God

We keep a note pad on the counter in our kitchen
To write down shopping lists and such
Yesterday I noticed that my sister had left me a little note that said

Go to a meeting!!
God could and would if he were sought!

It was lovely to see it
And it really spurred me on to go to a meeting 
And I'm so glad that I went last night
It did me the world of good
I feel like I'm back on track now
Back on the horse

My dad is down for a few days
And we were chatting this morning
I was telling him what happened at the meeting last week
He asked me if I am a people pleaser
I asked him if he thought I was 
He said he did
My father is the type of person who says what he thinks
And doesn't worry about trying to please all of the people all of the time
He said that must be exhausting 
And it is absolutely 
I admit it
I really worry what others think of me
And do my best to get people to like me
My dad said that people pleasing backfires 
That people would in fact have more respect for me if I spoke my mind 
And said what was true for me
I'm thinking he is right
And it's something that I really want to work on
The fact is
That my confidence
And self esteem is on the floor
I need to build myself up
To be more sure of myself
To be able to speak my mind
And not be such a timid little mouse all the time 
I'm a prime target for bullies and the like
And I don't want to be

I guess this is all stuff that I can work on
And I know of I keep doing what I'm doing
My confidence and self esteem will grow and grow
I just need to keep plugging away at recovery
So that's what I will do

I was wondering about you
Do you believe in God or a higher power?
How does your faith help you?
Do you think it's important to have faith in recover?
And also
Are you a people pleaser?
Or if you used to be
How did you break the cycle of it?
I would love to know.....

10 comments:

  1. "And it felt amazing to talk so freely" and you can talk freely all the time. that's the beauty of it. you have the ability to say anything at all and nobody has a right to tell you you're wrong about the way you view things. they could challenge the idea but they don't have the power the change it as much as you have the power to change your point of view.

    i used to be a people pleaser. then i realised i am better than everyone around me, and began to indulge myself in my thoughts. somehow, coming to a peace with myself made me come to a peace with others. i became cheery and merry and more like myself. i'm still very hypersensitive and aware of everything i do wrong.

    but it doesn't stop me from living my life. i am myself and nobody can tell me i'm not worth their time. i make it very clear to others that they are taking a portion of my time when they talk to me. i make it very clear that i will help them if they ask for it, and i do not hesitate to tell them that i just simply don't know something.

    i am a blunt person. and that's a quality about me i love.

    find something about you that you strive for or have. your honesty and adaption is one i admire about you. you take things into consideration and not blind to others' point of view. you are open minded and courageous. embrace those qualities and only think of good things when you think about yourself. of course, you have your flaws. we all do. but by thinking of only good things about yourself, you realise that you are important.

    and you are. you are important. there's nobody more important than yourself and the people that love you and matter. treat yourself like you would treat a loved one. if you find what you're doing to yourself so cruel that you wouldn't want to put it on another human being, stop. re-evaluate. and slowly find ways to help yourself.

    because honestly, Ruby? you're worth it. you're worth every bit of it. i know you don't like yourself, but we like you. and more than anything, i want you to take off the blackness in your eyes to see all the colours you have inside. because they are beautiful.

    you are beautiful. exceptionally so. and i wouldn't change a thing about you except for the thoughts that doubt how wonderful you are.

    you deserve to occupy your space in the world. do not shy away from it. your thoughts are just as important as anyone else's.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sam
      For your kind words
      And thoughtful message
      You have such a big heart
      I have never met you
      But I can tell that you are a beautiful person
      With so much love to give
      Your comments always make my heart swell
      I am so glad to call you a friend
      Because you are a true one
      Thank you x

      Delete
  2. I've always been too easily distracted to be a people pleaser I think. :/ I try to focus more on helping people than pleasing them.

    If someone doesn't like you, SOD THEM <-- that's been my general attitude for a while now. Remember, you can still be a quiet little mouse even if you're not a timid little mouse. I've had years of well-meaning friends and relatives telling me I'm "too quiet" and that is the wrong way to be if I want to make more friends/boyfriends/good jobs/etc etc etc. Took me a while to learn that that's a load of rubbish.

    Faith saved me from suicide. I was post-suicide attempt and contemplating trying again, and it was like something whispered in my ear, telling me to reach out to my dad for help (which I had not done in like 15 years). I ended up going to dad's church with him. I had been before over the years, and honestly I used to think everyone there was nuts (it's a Pentecostal church, so there is lots of leaping out of chairs and PRAISE JESUS going on), but I have never in my life had so many people genuinely caring about me, and rushing to support me without question when things got tough again. Faith gave me the strength I desperately needed to keep going. He answers too loudly and clearly for me not to believe.

    I'm glad you had a good meeting, and spent some time with friends. you sound a bit more upbeat, which is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing Mich
      That your faith saved you
      But I believe it
      Faith has such power
      I know since I started praying
      I've felt a new kind of peace
      Like a calmness washing over me
      My head is quiet
      I don't feel the overwhelming anxiety that I usually feel
      I just feel well.....ok

      I am so glad I went to the meeting last night
      It did me the world of good

      Thank for your comments lately
      So lovely to hear from you x

      Delete
    2. I love the praise Jesus pentecostal churches although that isn't my style...it does put you in touch with giving/caring folk. it's the speaking in tongues stuff that I can't hack.

      anyway this is just a note to say GREAT ATTITUDE

      Delete
  3. I can relate to this so much Shelby
    I also do the chameleon thing
    And change my personality to suit who I am with
    I'm quiet and timid with some people
    Loud and brash with others
    It is nothing short of exhausting
    Like you
    I wish I could just me be
    And be happy to be me x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby, beautiful Ruby, I'm so glad that the meeting the other day didn't put you off from going to them completely and you found the courage to go to another one. There we're signs everywhere!

    Faith is an odd thing, so different for each person, even within the same religion.
    I'm a Buddhist, more a life philosophy than a religion - and tolerant and compatible with other religions. I believe that the world is all energy and its all interconnected, dispersing in death and forming new life and forever moving. It gives me great peace to think that, for instance, my dad, is part of the world in a hundred different new living things, his energy dispersed and connected again, and that when I go I will be part of life in that way as well .
    As for a Higher Power, I used to believe in God. I grew up in an Anglican Christian home, but lately I don't know, although I do talk to my dad a lot, though I think mostly because I miss him. I feel there is something big out there and that I don't know what it is, but there are too many signs and "coincidences" for it all to be chance so I am always open minded.

    I love you to bits Ruby and I am so proud of you. I don't know you from long but yet I see how you are evolving in to a wonderful, independent, strong and centred woman.
    You people-please because it is a coping mechanism, a way to combat the social anxiety, and you will stop doing that as soon as you feel confident in your own beautiful personality.
    You gotta keep present that those who don't love the real you, your real mind and ideas and feelings, aren't worth the effort of pretending you are otherwise. Beautiful and worthwhile people will love you for you.
    Your father is wise in this too, once you show you have your own ideas, even if its opposing someone else's (always respectfully) it will command more respect than offence (and those who get offended are narrow minded anyway so who cares)

    I'll say it again, I love you to bits ^^
    Take care dear *hugs*
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Mandy
      I always look forward to hearing from you
      Yes, faith is becoming more and more important to me
      More than wanting it
      I think I really need it
      I guess I will take whatever help I can get
      And I need every bit of it

      You seem so together for someone so young
      And I love that about you
      And I love that we have clicked
      And are well on the way to becoming firm friends

      Love you so much x

      Delete
  5. I asked God to help me and He did.
    I realized God was the God of the Bible after praying. I read the Bible and I learnt it wasn't all mumbo jumbo. found a church. changed my life totally. now I know jesus is the son of God and it is through Christmas Jesus that we are set free from the burdens of this world. I will pray for you ruby. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. doh should say Christ jesus

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x