Thursday 11 June 2015

And my life is sweet like cinnamon.....

Ten months smoke free today
I think I can officially call myself a  confirmed non smoker
My uncle was here the other day
He was telling us about his upcoming holiday in Spain
Out of pure habit
I opened my mouth to ask him to get me cigarettes
400 cigarettes
Then I remembered
Oh
I don't smoke anymore 
It was a nice feeling

I regularly have dreams in which I am smoking 
And I'm really annoyed at myself for relapsing
Ten months down the drain
Then I wake up and realise that I haven't in fact smoked 
And All is well

I can remember the day I stopped smoking like it was yesterday
I had put it off for so long
As I had fallen for the myth that you gain weight when you quit
To me
Being thin and broke was more important that being a healthy weight or over weight and flush with money 
The sane uncle had just come back from Turkey 
And had brought me home two cartons of smokes
I decided that day
That when I had finished the cartons
Then I would give up
So I smoked my little head off for the next two weeks 
I was averaging 30 - 35 a day
I smoked like it was going out of fashion
Which in fact it was 

I thoroughly enjoyed smoking
I loved it
Cigarettes punctuated my life
I remember when you could smoke in restaurants
On trains
In pubs and clubs
Then the smoking ban came in
And us smokers were banished outside
Some pubs and clubs made very comfortable smoking areas
And do all the 'craic' seemed to be happening out there

I always had cigarettes in my bag
I bought two packs a day
And always had a selection of lighters on the go too
I even had a cigarette case
And a cigarettes purse ala Betty Draper from Madmen
I smoked any where and everywhere I could 
At home
I smoked out the window 
Up the chimney 
In front of the extractor fan
And I thought I was being considerate of others!

Smoking was a huge part of my life
And if my identity
It was the first thing I did in the morning 
Make a cup of tea
And light up a smoke
I smoked after food especially 
It was like a cigarette finished off the me
And smoking was a social thing
Me and my friends would nip outside for a cheeky smoke any chance we got
There was great banter out with the smokers
It was like we were all doing something naughty
And we were all In it together

I used to really enjoy a cuppa with a smoke
I did my best thinking then
And also had the best chats over a cuppa and a smoke
The worlds problems could be solved then
So now I am a non smoker
And I can't deny the benefits
My number one reason for quitting was the money
I wish I could say it was for health reasons 
But if I'm honest it wasn't 
I was broke all the time
And I couldn't stand it anymore
So 
They had to go
There was no other option

I've so noticed an improvement in my health
My fitness has improved
My breathing
My lung function
My stamina
Have all drastically improved

To address the weight gain
I did gain weight after I quit 
But I was gaining weight anyway
So I don't know if it was my quitting or my body re-gaining naturally
Whichever it was
It seems to have settled down  now
Thank Jebus

I was wondering about you
Do you smoke?
How long have you been smoking?
What made you give up?
What stops you from giving up?
Inquiring minds want to know......

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on ten months smoke free. Such a great achievement! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I party smoked as a youngster, but gave it up fairly soon. My sister and mum smokes and my grandmother has COPD because of smoking, so I am very glad that I stopped in time, and that you have too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So grateful to be smoke free
      I think it's no longer 'cool' to smoke anymore
      I know my nephew who is almost 15 think it's total pants x

      Delete
  3. Congrats!! That's a serious achievement, considering you were smoking 30 a day. At my most, I was smoking maybe 10 ciggies a day. I don't know how anyone can find time to smoke more, but I guess if you're in a place where you're allowed to smoke for most of the day that makes it easier.

    I feel guilty, but I have no intention of quitting unless I happen to end up pregnant at some point in the future. :/ I have my 1 or 2 cigs a day, after dinner and right before bed. Though some days I don't bother because I don't feel like going out for the ciggie, which makes me wonder if I'm even addicted....

    I think a lot of people who quit smoking end up snacking more, like instead of going for a smoke they didn't know what to do with themselves, so they eat something instead.

    And you're right, it is going out of fashion. Such filthy looks you get from strangers now if you're outside a restaurant smoking! And to think how cool we were smoking as teenagers. (We weren't but sure we'll pretend we were.)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know lots of people Mich
      Who only smoke a few a day
      But still can't give up
      I guess it's like any addiction
      It doesn't matter how much you use
      It's about how it effects your life

      I know right?
      It was so cool back then
      All the cool kids smoked
      But now
      Not so much
      They are just so darned expensive now too
      Do I guess kids can't afford them
      I'm glad it's not the cool thing to do anymore
      My nephew is almost 15
      And thinks smoking is 'like do lame'
      X

      Delete
  4. i was actually thinking about you quitting smoking yesterday and i just leaned back and thought to myself 'wow. she quit smoking'.

    it's a real huge accomplishment. it really is. i don't have a way of telling you how amazing it is to conquer what used to be such a huge part of your life. it really is one of those things that make you feel superior, because so many people struggle with it. honestly, Ruby, you're amazing.

    i'm glad you're not broke as hell. honestly, you might not have regretted it when you were smoking, but when you waste money, the regret somehow finds it way back. you deserve to use that money on things that you love and things that make you happy. not things that will ultimately harm you more in the long run.

    i do understand how bad of an addiction smoking is. i can't give up my diet soda addiction so i can't imagine how it is to quit a serious addiction. i'm phobic of cigarettes. seeing the packet before used to give me heart attacks and i used to have nightmares of my mother thinking i smoked or had been smoking.

    the only cigarette i had was on my 16th birthday. i was curious. after that, the anxiety got so bad i couldn't dare get into smoking.

    i love you for doing this. i am so fucking proud of you for what you've accomplished. with your smoking. with the heroin (!), with your eating. i genuinely see how much you've improved. like i said before, i refused to follow you for some time because i had feared being triggered but when i realised that you were in recovery, my heart just warmed up and it drove me to recovery even more.

    darling, you are a good influence. please stay that way.

    oh, and you're not a number. i don't give a shit about your BMI or weights. i never have. i really just want you to look back at yourself and feel as proud of yourself as we do. :)


    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam
      As always a comment that makes me grin
      And so happy to know you
      I know you avoided my blog for a long time
      And I did wonder why
      But I'm so glad we now are friends
      You are an angel on earth
      And bring many people so much joy

      Take care my friend x

      Delete
  5. "smoked like it was going out of fashion

    Which in fact it was "

    LOL ruby. You're so funny. Of course it's true too.

    I used to think it was cool. I started smoking after watching the movie "Pulp Fiction". All the great "supermodels" (a stupid concept really) smoked a lot too. I felt I was in the.clique. do you know cigarette companies still fund . movies/tv anonymously? All they need to do is feature a character light up from time to time. Evil.

    I did a similar thing to you. Bought duty free cigs. sucked 'em all down like there was no tomorrow. Quit when they were done.

    Haven't looked back.


    Once or twice I've had a wistful moment but i won't go back.

    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the odd craving too Shelby
      They are like waves I think
      They come in thick and fast
      But if we just ride it out
      They will retreat
      Well done on giving up though
      I know how hard it is x

      Delete
  6. Congrats! I know how hard it is to quick first hand, so the fact that you have, and have maintained it is amazing.

    I never, ever smoked until last April. In fact, I hated it. I hated the smell, the act, everything about it. I always hated when my ex smoked in his house when I was there. I didn't want my lungs ruined (which is ironic because I'm sure smoking oxys ruined them just fine before I started shooting up). My mom smoked and I hated that she did, worried she wouldn't live long.

    So then, last April, my addiction had spiraled. Everyone found out. So I went to detox. And that's where I started smoking. At that time I had been smoking oxy, so my lungs would just burn and I'd cough and cough and cough when I didn't smoke any for any long period of time, which is odd. It was like my lungs would be in withdrawal too. The coughs would wake me up to almost tell me my body needed more. So being in detox, with nothing to do and burning lungs, I NEEDED something, anything to inhale into my lungs to make them stop and to pass the time. So I bought some off another girl in there and then never stopped. I met new connects/friends the day I got out and they all smoked, so I kept on. That day out was the first time I used a needle too.

    Anyways, when I was first sober, I couldn't even imagine quitting. It's what I did to deal with cravings, triggers, emotions, etc. It was all I had left to keep me sane. And at rehab, all of the gossip, drama, talks occurred outside in the smoke hut. So it was such a huge importance to me in there too. A social thing.

    So fast forward to about four months ago. I decided enough was enough. I needed to quit while it had been under a year, before it got worse. I couldn't afford it anyways. So I went to this workshop thing and got 13 weeks worth of patches and gum. I stayed smoke-free for over three months. And then something happened and it all fell apart. So I've been smoking again for about a month now, and I regret it so, so much.
    But I'd rather smoke, than to have relapsed. It was the way I dealt with huge emotions, so had I not picked them up that night, I probably would have picked up dope instead. So it's sort of a win in a way?

    By the way, the dreams are the worst! I had them too. Especially since the patch can induce nightmares. I'd have these awful, awful vivid dreams about smoking AND relapsing and would wake up in such a panic, hating myself for using and smoking, when it was all just a vivid crazy dream. I started getting them again when I started smoking again too. So odd.

    Anyways, I do plan on quitting again soon. I need to really plan and work on my coping strategies first though. And I think I want to be further along in recovery with my bulimia before I try again. I think it was all just too much to be giving up in such a short amount of time. I know I can do it. it's just a matter of when I guess.

    Congrats again!
    Much love, xx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Ruby! Super proud of you right now :)

    I've said before I well understand the financial motivation vs health. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for it to reach breaking point. At the moment, it's still priority. In my little notebook where I record everything I smoke, I've also been tracking how much I spend. Kinda scared to add it up, but maybe that'll give me a nudge!

    One of the big things I struggle with, when I'm in hospital and not allowed to smoke, is just sitting and having a plain old coffee without smoking. I can't do it!

    Lots of love <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x