Wednesday 10 June 2015

To be anonymous or not to be anonymous.....

I've been thinking about this for the past few days
Whether it's better to blog anonymously or not
As you know 
I make no secret of who I am 
Heck I have a huge photo of myself at the top of my blog
I regularly post photos 
And my family sometimes feature too
The only thing I keep secret is my name
Although those of you who know my real name
Know that it's not a million miles away from Ruby 

For the first few months 
I wrote my blog anonymously 
And had planned to keep it that way
But then I began to notice that the blogs I was attracted to
We're the ones where the person was completely open
I can still remember the first photo I posted of myself
It was of me on holiday in Spain
Looking very pale and wan
It got such a great reaction
That I began to share more and more of my life
I love to share things with my readers
Myself
Where I live
My dogs 
My family
I'm an open book

Having said that
I totally understand why someone would want to keep their blog anonymous
There is a great freedom in being able to write without anyone knowing who you are 
Some people are more private
And choose not to share photos 
I was reading Izzys blog earlier
She was writing about how now her blog is so popular
That she has to be really careful about what she chooses to write about
As so many people are reading
I guess I feel that on a smaller scale
There are something's that are off bounds with me
I don't write much about my family
And always ask before posting photos of them
I don't write about any one else either
Or their business
It's not my place

Reading between the lines in Izzys post
I get the feeling that she feels she has to be positive all the time
And portray the picture that everything is fine all the time
And maybe for her it is
But I know for myself
Recovery is a rocky road
So many hurdles
So many ups and downs 
Highs and lows 
And I feel compelled to be honest about that
If you read regularly 
You will know that my life is a bit of a roller coaster
And I do daft and stupid things almost on a weekly basis
I feel like it's my duty to be honest
And I have absolutely no problem letting people know when I am struggling
Well
Most of the time

So yes
I am definitely open about my life
I know some people worry about their blog coming back to haunt them
In case a workplace ever tracked it down
This doesn't bother me either
I have nothing to hide 
This is my life 
This is me 
Although hopefully by the time I am working 
I will have a lot of these issues in the past

I guess I use my blog 
In the same way as some people use Instagram or Tumblr or even Facebook 
To document my life
To keep track of my life
To share with others
To record all the little things that get forgotten over the years 
In 3 years 
I have written over 800 posts
All them recording every little detail about my life
And to have that to look back over is amazing
It's almost like watching a movie
The text
The photos
The pictures
All add up to be my life

To be anonymous or not to be anonymous
Well
I guess it's different for everyone 
It depends probably on your personality
And how private you are
I've never had a problem sharing my story
I'm not ashamed or embarrassed by it
In fact the opposite
I am proud of where I've come from
And how far I've come
I've been through my own personal war
And it wasn't easy getting out

Of course a huge part of my blog is helping others 
I feel so passionately about using my story
My mistakes
My life
My accomplishments 
My ups and downs
To help others come out of their own battle with themselves 
I know that reading all of your blogs helps me massively
And I hope I can give back just a little bit of what I've gotten from all of you

With all that said
I was wondering about you
Do you write anonymously or not?
Why?
Do you prefer to see the person writing the blog or not?
Is love to know....

16 comments:

  1. I think it's better to be open and honest than to try and be positive all the time. Life is not positive all the time. Everyone does daft things on a weekly basis (or hourly, in my case). I feel like you can connect with someone more when you can relate to them, when you know that they have the same struggles as you do.

    I started out anonymous, but like you said, I was able to connect more with people when I was more open about myself. At this point, other bloggers probably know ten times more about me than anyone I know in real life. I've always struggled in letting people get close to me and I think blogger has helped me improve that in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Mich
      I would much rather read about the truth
      Life is not perfect
      Either is recovery
      We do the best we can
      With what we've got
      That's all we can do x

      Delete
    2. I agree. As a reader I personally find things that are overly positive or don't show the bad with the good to be counterproductive as it tends to make me feel bad about my own less than sunny moments.Also I feel like it reinforces the notion that I'm trying to live up to some ideal, which is part of my whole problem to begin with

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you feel that way
      I completely agree x

      Delete
  2. I blog as my alter ego...
    everything is true and has happened
    and is what I'm feeling...
    However, I don't write under my real name
    I don't show myself because there is a dark side I express on my blog, and it's more freeing to do so as someone else (who isn't actually different. .. just hidden)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Lola
      And that's great that you can do that
      I guess Ruby is my alter ego
      Although she is very much part of me
      Ruby is more confident
      And outgoing
      She says and does the things that I wish I had the courage to
      I know some preformers take on an alter ego
      Like Beyoncé who uses Sasha Fierce
      I guess it gives us confidence x

      Delete
  3. I write my blog anonymously, I would like to be more open and show more of my life, but unfortunately due to some people in my past that may see it I just don't feel comfortable with them seeing it.
    www.libertylifeandselfhelp.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that
      I know some people stay anonymous for safety reasons
      Maybe some day I'll regret being so open
      I guess time will tell ........ X

      Delete
  4. I'm anonymous in the way I don't use my real name on my blog. The name I do use will be the name I put on any writing that I publish - if I publish anything. I don't post about family much apart from my fiancé and I also don't pin point exactly where I live. I just say regional Victoria. If I working I also don't mention the name of the business etc even if the post is positive. This allows me to blog more openly than I would normally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's different for everyone Anne
      And we do whatever works for us x

      Delete
  5. I was very secret and anonymous at first because when I started, my addiction was a secret. Nobody knew. They didn't know for years, so I kept it hidden to avoid being caught. My boyfriend at the time did find it once so I stopped blogging all together, feeling like I couldn't be honest anymore. I do have a picture of myself in my profile, but I think that mines too small and unknown for people to recognize me from just a picture. Who knows though.

    I've actually been thinking the same thing...part of me wants to share the URL with my twitter/facebook friends now that I've been open about being in treatment for my bulimia. But part of me wants to keep it all mine so that I don't have people A)Talking behind my back, B) people being worried/concerned all the time, C) I want to keep some of this to myself and for the girls who seek out this community. Plus then they''d find out about my addiction too. I feel like anyone in the world could know my name and face and it wouldn't bother me, but when it comes to those I know personally, it makes me scared/apprehensive.

    I use my eating disorder's alter ego's name for mine, which is Jenna (which I created as a part of poetry/story I was writing and it became a whole person in my mind in a way). I think the last name on it is my brothers' last name, but they have a different dad, so it shouldn't ever come back to me. But I'll share my first name with people I talk to.

    I totally agree with the fact that once people know and follow it, you have so much pressure to be "okay" all the time. I've felt that too! It sucks. Like there are days when I have bad, bad days still, and I would hate not to be able to post dark, sad things that make me feel better and are authentic to my story just because it would cause concern or because people were reading. I think that would be so sad and fake. I blog to be honest, open and share EVERYTHING. I wouldn't do it if I had to censor myself. We all have ups and downs, so it's not fair that there's that pressure. Plus, I like knowing the truth from others. I don't mind if people have fake names on a blog, but I do like to see their pictures. Because I feel like I start to know these people and it's nice to be able to put a face to their story.

    This has inspired me to post a new picture on mine. Still unsure if I'll ever "come out" about my blog or share my full name,but for now a picture is fine.

    Much love, xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate
      When my sister used to read my blog
      I always worried that age would worry
      And I also don't mind the whole world knowing me and my face but
      Sharing my story with people I know is a lot scarier for some reason

      I just saw your photo on your blog
      Love it!
      And now I know you see beautiful both inside and out x

      Delete
    2. You're too kind :) Thank you.

      Delete
    3. You're too kind :) Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I try to be as anonymous as possible, mostly because I don't want the boyfriend or family to find out about what I'm really going through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much like you, I'm not really anonymous at all. I posted pictures from the start, and 'Bella' is more my name than anything else. I don't worry about my blog coming back to haunt me or anything like that. It's my life. I've never hidden my struggled with mental illness, so why start now? Really, the only thing I don't share on my blog is names or pictures of family/friends/doctors etc.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x