Wednesday 3 June 2015

For you

A lot has changed for me over the past year
As I dip my toe in to this thing called recovery 
My whole life has had a transformation 
And that includes my blogging and writing
I read back on old posts
And I see a very different girl
A girl that was physically and mentally compromised
I lived in what I call Deaths Waiting Room
Some where between life and death
Limbo
A wishy washy no mans land 
My writing back then was hopeless
I wrote from a really bad place
A place where my ED called the shots
And I had little or no control over my life
It was a living hell
I tell no lie

As I have started to recover
My writing has changed
I'm sure you have noticed too
I'm more positive 
Optimistic
I guess I am no longer existing
I am living my life 
My way
For the first time in years
And as I tentatively venture in to recovery
So my reading has changed too

Some of the blogs I used to read
I can no longer
For a variety of reasons
Some blogs are very triggering
And I have to protect myself from that
I hope you understand 
A lot of the time 
It's just too upsetting to read about so many of you beautiful girls struggles
I think of all the wonderful people here on blogger
Pouring their hearts in to the giant abyss that is the internet 
The bottomless vacuum that is the World Wide Web
It's overwhelming to think of all these people suffering
And so 
A lot of the time 
I can't read it
I'm hoping you understand
If your blog is one of the blogs I've stopped reading
I am truly sorry 
But as I said 
I have to protect myself

If you are reading this today
Then post is for you
If you are in recovery 
If you are thinking about recovery
If you are fighting the daily battle against this illness
This post is for you
If you are not in recovery 
If you can't even contemplate it
If your ED seems too big to conquer
If you are losing hope 
If you feel utterly lost
Desperate
This post is for you

If you are struggling with anorexia
Bulimia
EDNOS
Binge eating disorder 
Depression
Anxiety
Bipolar disorder
Personality disorder
Or any other mental health issue
This post is for you

If you are alone in this world
If you don't have family or friends to turn to
If you feel you have no one 
This post is for you

If you haven't told anyone about your ED
If you are silently battling your demons
This post is for you 

If you feel like it's all too much
If you feel like you can't do this
If you feel overwhelmed 
This post is for you 

If you read this blog every day
If you read sometimes 
If you just stumbled across it today
This post is for you

I know that sometimes recovery seems impossible
And that there is no point in trying 
Out EDs can convince us that we are weak
And we can't do it
Our EDs would have us believe that recovery is not an option
I'm here to tell you that recovery is possible
I was at a point in my life 
Where I thought the only option was death
Because I would have rather died than live this half life any more 
I know it seems like my recovery started very suddenly
And it did in a lot of ways
But in reality 
I have been trying to recover for years
I'm even hesitant to use the word recovery
As I don't always feel I am in recovery
But as they say in AA
The only requirement  for membership is a desire to stop using/drinking 

I just want you to know 
That there is hope
There is always hope
I thought I was a lost cause
I figured if my addiction didn't kill me
Then my ED would 
The odds were stacked against me
And I felt I didn't have a chance at life or recovery

So please
Don't  give up
Don't give in
Keep that light in your heart alive
I have seen people at deaths door make a remarkable recovery
We are never too far gone 
Never a lost cause
You can do this
You can have a better life
I promise you this

Give yourself the greatest gift
The gift of life
Reach out and grab it
Don't let it pass you by
Because all too soon 
This life will be over
And will have been just a drop in the ocean of history
Don't let your ED take one more year, month, day from you
Because in spite of what she says
She wants us dead
That is her ultimate goal
To take our lives
Don't let her do that 
Don't let her win
There is nothing glamorous or romantic about starving yourself to death
Or purging do much that you go in to cardiac arrest
I was lucky
I made it out relatively unscathed
But as you know
Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness

So please
Do it
Go for it
Take that leap of faith
Grab the gift of recovery with both hands 
And don't let go
It will be worth it
I just know it will be




10 comments:

  1. Here here!

    I don't read anything triggering either.

    Your progress is amazing!

    You'll be OK ruby. I was shocking at the height of things but honest to God I never binge purge or restrict anymore. I'm bent but not broken. I tell myself a diamond is just coal under pressure.

    Keep on going girl!

    I'm putting my life back together for good.

    Shelby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelby for your continued support
      It means a lot
      Yes we've come a long way
      And still have lots to go

      You are amazing x

      Delete
  2. you have come so far in such a short time, you show it can be done and give everyone hope and hope is the biggest help of all.thanks ruby. love jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo
      For being there
      For reading
      And for commenting
      I always love to hear from you x

      Delete
  3. Thank you ruby for your straight up way with words. We think we know it all, the theory of triggers and recovery and risks and gains. It's always hanging in our view like a blemish on a camera lense. I want it gone and am up and down believing that it can be done ....love k xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you K
      It's a daily battle
      But we will get there

      Thanks for your comment x

      Delete
  4. Your journey through recovery shines through your words my dear,it makes me smile to read you ^-^
    You are truly inspiring <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy
      I treasure our friendship x

      Delete
  5. Do not apologize for having to take care of yourself. I consider myself pretty far along in recovery, but I still can't read the blogs of anyone who is still actively disordered.

    You are so right. Looking back, living in the ED feels live living in a nightmare. There is so much more to life than the "perfect body."

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know
      I guess I feel bad because some of these girls I know really well
      And it feels mean to just suddenly drop them
      But reading about the disorder or looking at photos can really upset me
      So I have to avoid them
      For now anyway

      There is so much more Mich
      There is a rich and wonderful life there for all of us
      We just have to reach out and grab it!! X

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x