Friday 7 August 2015

The Do

It is all go here at home this week
My Mother is retiring 
So we are having a do for her tomorrow week
I say Do
But it's more like a meal with the whole family
There will be many people staying here that night 
So we are trying to arrange over ten people in to five bedrooms 
We also need to clean the house from top to bottom
Designate beds and bedding
I will be out of my room for one night 
And will be on the couch
I don't mind though
As long as I have a tv and my dogs 
I'm good 

I have to admit though
I am anxious about the whole thing
My sister and I are organising it all
So the pressure is on 
And there is so much change happening
I don't do well with change at all
I'm kind of wishing that it was all over
But
As experience has shown
It's the run up to an event that is the most stressful thing
Usually the event itself is fine
I just have to remember that 

I guess I find it hard to manage anxiety
Of course I used to manage it with drink and drugs 
Then over eating or not eating at all
Now  dealing with life on life's terms
It's unpredictable 
It's unsettling
It can be unmanageable 
It can be overwhelming 
I am just so grateful to have my sister here
She is an amazing support
It's hard to believe that she was gone for a whole 12 years
Now that she is back 
It takes some of the pressure off me 

There will also be a lot of change at home come next month
As you know 
My mother used to work away during the week
So starting September she will be here all the time
That will take some getting used to
For all of us
It's funny
My Mum is coming to the end of her working life
And in a lot of ways I am just starting mine
The course is on my mind a lot
I have accepted the place
But I have the worry that my disability will be stopped
And I don't know if I am willing to risk that
I know that at some point 
I am going to have to take a leap of faith
And jump without knowing if my parachute will open
I'm just afraid that I will hit the ground with a bang 
I'm kind of trying not think about it at the moment 

I feel like I am writing about my ED and addiction less and less 
And I guess that's a good thing
My ED has gone from being the sole focus of my life
To fading away in to the background 
It's crazy the changes they have happened 
I am strong now
Yesterday I carried a whole cupboard up our staircase 
My arms are strong from swimming
I feel capable and able
I remember 18 months ago 
I couldn't carry a bag of shopping 
Let alone a piece of furniture 

I'm excited for the future now
Before
I couldnt see beyond the end of the day
I went to bed not knowing if I would wake up
And a huge part of me hoped that I wouldn't 
Living was such an effort
Such hard work
I had a heavy feeling all the time
A sense of impending doom
I describe it as having a passive death wish
I wasn't actively trying to kill myself 
But I welcomed it all the same
I was in limbo
Somewhere between life and death 
It's a horrific place to be

As you know
I am in the process of writing my story for a magazine article
I wrote a rough draft yesterday
Fitting my story in to 2000 words is proving tricky
At first I worried that I wouldn't have enough to fill the brief
But now I have the opposite problem 
I'm feeling the pressure though
I want it to be just right 
Perfect
And as ever 
I am my own worst critic
So what I've decided to do 
Is take the piece Lather, rinse, repeat
And embellish it
I think that particular piece tells my story in a nut shell
And I can expand on it as I see fit
It's all very exciting though
I love the opportunities that this blog has given me
It has opened up so many doors for me 
It just goes to show
That if you put yourself out there
Wonderful things can happen

My friend commented yesterday 
That I am 'so strong'
I've never thought of myself as strong
I didn't want to be strong 
I wanted to be small and petite
Delicate and dainty 
I thought that was what beautiful was
But now I am starting to see that beauty comes in many forms 
It comes from self awareness
Confidence 
Body strength
A good heart
A loving and caring temprement 
It comes from being a good person 
It comes from taking care of yourself 
From taking the time out for yourself 
I used to think that beauty came from physical beauty alone
I thought it came from sharp edges and pointy bones 
From collar bones and hip bones
From clothes that were too big
From twig like arms and legs 
A thigh gap and cheek bones
The smaller the better
The thinner the better 
No matter what the cost 

My body has changed a lot over the last year
I've gone from having the body of a male child
To that of a woman 
It's happened over time 
At first I hated it 
Hated the soft curves 
The contours of my body
Shapely legs 
Boobs and a bum
A little tummy 
All my bones were not engulfed in flesh 
But 
Slowly but surely
My body is growing on me
Literally 
I look at my legs 
Once stick like and frail
And now they are curvy and strong
Same as my arms 
My clothes now define a shape in clothes 
I look at super thin models now
And am more attracted to the plus size models 
For the first time in my entire life
I am favouring health and well being 
Over thinness and beauty
Strong is beautiful
Bring in good health is beautiful
Looking after yourself and your body is beautiful
A healthy glow is beautiful 
Thin is also beautiful 
If the person is well and healthy 
The pressure us girls are under to conform to society's image of beauty is enormous
I feel it every day 
But I refuse to kill myself in the name of beauty 
I won't bow to this pressure any more

Health wise
I am the best that I have been in a long time
Both my physical and mental health are pretty good
And I thank God, the universe and my lucky stars for that
Today
I just want you to know 
That no matter how low you go
No matter how far down the wrong path you go
There is a way back 
There is a second chance 
And a third
Fourth
Fifth...
It's never to late 
To make a fresh start
A new beginning 
It's never to late to turn things around 
The body and the mind are amazing 
They recover
Reboot 
Rejuvenate 
Reset 
They can be pushed to breaking point
And still bounce back

I know that when we are in the midst of our illness
That life seems pointless 
Happiness is a distant memory
Peace of mind is a dream you once had
Recovery seems nigh on impossible 
But I want you to know that it is
It is possible for you
You just have to take that leap of faith 
I promise you 
It is worth it 
My quality of life has improved so much
I have a life now  
And it continues to get better and better 

So if you  are feeling low today
If you are struggling to find a reason to go  on
Just remember that right now
Right this second 
Someone you have never met 
In a country far far away
Is thinking of you 
And sending you all the courage and love that I can muster
I believe in you
I have faith in you
And I live you
Please don't ever forget that 


11 comments:

  1. You sound like you are in a good place Ruby!

    I'm overjoyed to hear how positive you are.

    I truly believe the media has influenced how and what we see as beautiful. I'm glad you are appreciating your own individual beauty. There never will be another Ruby.

    Actually I hate Hollywood and all that. Yup. I *was* a TV fan. Last series I watched was True Detective. Honestly after I was done I just put in in the garbage. Don't get me wrong it was cool and filled with cool symbols and women like stick insects and glorifying drug use and smoking and all this other crap put into a catchy soundtrack and I just felt so damn sorry for a younger generation watching it and being influenced like I had been. Yep, hate Hollywood and the media. Bad juju.

    Good luck with all the preparations, dear lady

    Xoxo

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel better Shelby
      I feel better than I have in a long time
      So I'm not going to let my weight get in the way of that

      I agree
      Young women today have an impossible standard to live up to
      I'm sure it's no coincidence that EDs are on the rise all the time
      It can be really overwhelming to think of all the boys and goths who suffer
      I guess all we can do is try and help one person at a time

      As ever
      Thank you Shelby x

      Delete
    2. Ha!
      Silly auto correct
      I meant girls not goths!
      Although I'm sure some goths do suffer too..... X

      Delete
  2. You seem so content right now, and I love it. You deserve it, dearest Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am CP
      It's funny
      It creeps up on you when you're not expecting it
      I am ok
      I actually am ok! X

      Delete
  3. -!!

    PRAISE G-D, you're OK !!!!!!!! ^ ^

    Oh, I'm just thrilled beyond measure sweet, FIERS one
    And I love you SO much; it truly does my ♥ such gd 'seeing' you in such a place: You're @ PEACE-!! :D

    Now we just gotta get thru this 'Do' & she'll be right-!
    [in re, just breathe & go about it as you've managed all else--R♪cking RUTHLESSLY all the way…-!!! ; )]

    (((the hugs of LIFE !!))) <3 Jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jils!
      I'll get through it knowing that you and all the ladies here are behind me
      I am just so grateful for this community at the moment
      You all mean do very much to me
      I just hope you know how important you all are to me

      LOVE YOU SO MUCH x

      Delete
    2. d'Aww… : 3
      *blushes*

      Delete
  4. Yikes! I can't imagine that many people staying overnight. I hope you're charging room & board ;)

    Your sister truly seems to've been an angel moving back home. It's obvious even to is outsiders that she's been a huge support to you.

    It's absolutely none of my business, of course, but you've mentioned it a few times before so I'm curious: does this mean the end of the mum/dad house swapping dealio?

    And congrats to your mum! :)

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Bella
      It's going to be something of a challenge
      This time last year I couldn't have coped with this
      But I have great support
      And I only have to do what I feel up to
      So that's reassuring

      Ha, you remembered!
      I just read this part out to my mum and she laughed so much!
      Yes that will be the end of the swappy housey deal
      Now we will (pretend to) live like normal people
      It's funny
      It sounds a bit strange
      But it really worked for my parents
      But then that's my family all over crazy to the bitter end x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x