Monday 7 September 2015

34 (And none the wiser.,,.)

As I type this
I am sitting in the chemist
Waiting for my prescription to be filled
My doctor was back this morning
The kids are gone back to school
The radio is back to its usual schedule
Everyone has gone back to work
So all in all
Everything is getting back to normal
Just the way I like it
I guess I don't like the summer much
Maybe I would if we actually got a summer here 
But no
Autumn is my favourite season by far

We had a birthday dinner yesterday
Which was nice
My sister made my favourite dinner
Boeuf bourguignon
Delicious!
It was a relaxed laid back affair
Followed by tea and apple tart
People have me money instead of gifts
As I am going away in a couple of weeks
My mum did get me some beautiful Cath Kidson tea cups though
And white chocolate
And talcum powder
Which I love

I collected my meds 
And headed back down to the surgery to see Breda
It was a really good session with her
One where we acknowledged the positives that are happening in my life
She noticed my glasses 
And my piercing 
And said I looked really well
Which was nice to hear 
It used to be a case that when someone told me that I looked well
I had a mild panic attack 
But now
Now I am learning to accept the compliment in the spirit in which it was intended
Who'd have thought it...

I guess my look is changing 
During my addiction and ED
What I looked like just didn't matter 
I had no interest in clothes or hair or make up or my appearance at all
It's only really in the last year that I've started experimenting with my look
I guess now I know what I like 
I know what clothes suit me 
I'm a bit better at hair and make up 
As you know 
I go for the surfer type look
Even though I've never surfed a day in my life
I still like the look
I've changed my whole wardrobe in the last year
I'm much more confident in what I wear 
And how I present myself 
Breda also noticed my piercing 
She said it was a really good look on me
She also mentioned how it's great thstbibdm asserting myself 
And doing what is right for me
This is the great thing about being that little bit older 
I'm more confident in myself 
More sure of myself
I know my likes and dislikes
What suits me 
What doesn't 
I guess I'm now doing the experimenting thstbibfidnt get a chance to do in my twenties 
And it is such good fun!

I told Breda about being discharged from Mary
She thought that was great 
The only negative is that I haven't gone back to meetings yet
And she strongly advised that I do
I know that I need to
But I'm finding it really hard to go back
I know the longer I leave it 
The harder it will be
So my goal is to get to a meeting before I go away

I have such a good feeling that this year is going to be the best yet
I'm the most well I've been in years
And I plan to make the most of my health and well being 
As I said to Breda this morning
It has been a team effort to get this far
My family 
Friends 
Mary 
My doctor 
Breda
My psychiatrist 
You my fellow bloggers
Have all played an integral role in my getting well
I couldn't have done it without each and every one of you

If I could say one thing 
To all of you that are suffering right now
Please
Please 
Please
Don't leave it as long as I did to get well
I know a lot of you are in your early twenties 
Some even younger than that 
My own twenties were a right off
And when I was in the midst of my illness
I couldn't see a way out
Weight gain was a huge barrier
I resisted it so much 
I couldn't see any benefit to it
I was willing to risk my health
My happiness 
And my sanity
Just to stay thin
I can't lie 
Weight restoration is not fun
The discomfort
Clothes getting tighter
Bloating 
Feeling fat and greedy
But slowly but surely 
I began to see the benefits of weight restoration
My General health drastically improved
I no longer felt dizzy 
Weak
Exhausted 
It was like a fog lifted
Suddenly I could see more clearly
Think more clearly 
And also I got to buy all new clothes
To replace the teeny tiny clothes I used to wear 
My mood also improved 
I felt more positive and content in myself 

I know when you are in the throes of our illness 
Recovery seems like something that happens to others 
A foreign concept 
But if we could just make that leap of faith
I promise you that you will get back ten fold what you put in
I remember when I was getting clean from drugs
I decided to give myself six months
And really throw myself in to recovery
If after those six months I didn't like it 
I could always go back to my ED
It would always be there 
My recovery might not be
I guess the sane principle can be used with an ED 
We have nothing to lose 

Anyway 
Below are a couple of photos 
Me and my pyjamas this morning 
A couple of the cards I got
And the cups my Mother gave me









19 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, all the best x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dia duit, Beautiful-!! :D

    Happy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!
    [¡Heureuse Anniversaire\Feliz Cumpleaños!]

    WoW, Whatta BLESSING having another yr of life, [& ESPECIALLY 1 that you are not resentful of having obtained, (unlike so many before; I imagine you probably hvnt been a birthday fan since you were a wee pup, {w\the exception of when Nephew was born & His big days} but I could be wrong…)]

    Dearest One, kno that we all excitedly celebrate w\you, & that our hearts sing proud from our collective corners of the map-!! ['Not ½' ; )]
    I kno that I hv gratitude not 'just' for the Massive gift of this Grt Day [& hopfly MANY more to follo], but also v selfishly for the the enlightenment ye have personally brought to my life !! I can say sans doubt, qualm or hesitation that getting to kno & hv you as a Friend these past months has truly garnered me unspeakable Joy-! (it's 'unspeakable,' but in TRYING to speak on it, I've Botched it irrevocably, no less! : ( Just kno that I genuinely treasure you-!)
    Anywhoo, 'CHUFT' you're here, & so looking forward to seeing the next chapters unfold--thnx for allowing me a dlx ringside view-!! :D + ^_^
    →You are a formidable foe: Rubly, 1; Ed & Ad, ZERO←

    Keep being delightful you, R♪cking onward--RUTHLESSLY, OC. [What, was there ever another way…-??!] ; )

    Fiers ((BIRTHDAY 'Huggles')) 1 for today + its 33 'twins'
    <3 Jils

    → May HIS face Smile CONTINUOUSLY upon you all the days of your life;
    May HE Bless you Abundantly this day & all others;
    May HE grant to you a Peace which surpasseths all understanding… ←

    HE LOVES you, Rubs-!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw wow Jils!!
      Thank you so much for these kind and thoughtful words
      You have made a difference in my life
      I hope you know that
      As has every friend I have made here on blogger
      And I am so humbled that I have made a difference in yours

      My birthday was such a special day
      My family made such a fuss of me
      I'm feeling especially blessed today
      Thank you again
      For your thoughtful words x

      Delete
    2. you Deserve hvg a fuss made !!
      So glad you've enjoyed your day. =)

      When I'm out & about today, I shall hv 2 cuppas, 'tipping my hat' toward You, my Friend-!
      <3

      In other news:
      • what's in beouf burguongnione… (well, aside from the 'beouf') : ?
      • so cool innit, Shelby is Blogging-! :D
      • Please, I would hv your addresse--will you maile it me-??

      Delete
    3. BB is like a stew
      With carrots
      Mushrooms
      And shallots
      And a bottle of red wine
      All slow cooked for a long time
      It's super yummy x

      Delete
    4. : P` *drools* Yum, sounds aMAESING-!

      →To Shelby←
      So not true: YOU'RE the 'Nice One'…-!! ; )

      <3 Jils

      Delete
  3. so glad you had good birthday, where are you going away too? xx jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo Jo

      Oh yes
      We are heading to Turkey in two weeks
      Really looking forward to it x

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Ruby! Wishing you a beautiful year ahead full of all good things x :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Siobhan

      And good to hear from you
      Hope all is well x

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday lovely. Your dinner sounds perfect - good simple comfort food. Those mugs are amazing! Your card should be there soon hopefully.

    Love that last pic. You just look so genuinely happy, it's beautiful.

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella
      I'm looking forward to getting your card

      And yes
      I like that photo too
      I was so happy just to make it to 34 x

      Delete
  6. Happy b day to a wonderful lady with so much going for her and so much ahead xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x