Tuesday 8 September 2015

Constant Craving

I've been up since 6am
As my mother was catching an early morning flight to London
My sister is also away for a few days this weekend 
So I will be home alone
If we can at all help it
We try and not have me here alone for any prolonged period of time
I know it sounds silly
I mean I'm a 34 year old woman
And it's not that I have trouble looking after myself or the house 
It's the fact that when I am on my own
My mind tends to wander
And I could very easily get myself in to trouble
Like now
Knowing that I will be here alone 
My mind goes to dark places
And my mischievous side comes out 
I think about the things I could get up to
I could smoke 
Drink
Get out of my face on various substances 
Sometimes I get such a craving 
To get out of my mind
Off my head 
To check off the planet 
And completely zone out
To go on the nod
Slipping in and out of consciousness

I know that cravings are part and parcel of recovery 
Anyone who has a tendency for escapism deals with them
Usually I get a craving after experiencing a trigger
A song 
A smell
An item 
It could be anything 
Euphoric recall I think they call it
For instance at my mothers retirement do
Being in a bar
The stress of the speech 
Feeling a bit self conscious 
All added up to my having a drink
I've been told by countless therapists that I can't drink
But I don't think I fully accept that
I want to be able to drink 
I want to have a glass of wine with dinner 
A bottle of beer at night
But the thing is 
Even though alcohol was not my primary addiction
I still have the perpensity to spin out of control
Yes 
I might have been ok one night
And only had two drinks 
But that was only because I was on my best behaviour 
I know I could take a notion
Buy a bottle of vodka
And drink it all at home 
I know if I allow myself one drink
One is too many 
And a thousand never enough 

Smoking is a funny one
As you know 
I was a dedicated smoker
A 30 a day girl
I loved nothing more than a cup of tea and a smoke 
I did my best thinking over a cigarette
But 
I just couldn't afford them anymore 
They had to go 
I can't lie 
I do miss them 
But I don't get huge cravings for one
I could go a whole day without even thinking of one 
It's like that part of my brain has been reprogrammed 
I've iften heard it said that cigarettes are harder to give up than heroin 
Well I can categorically tell you that that is utter horse shit
Heroin was by far more difficult to give up
I never stole to get money for smokes
I never tore a room apart looking for a bag of gear
I didn't go in to severe physical withdrawal when I stopped smoking 
My body didn't crave a smoke like it craved heroin
Oh no 
Smoking was no near as difficult to give up

I get strange urges from time to time 
Like when I am walking the cliff walk with the dogs 
I get a massive urge to jump
And sometimes I'm afraid that I really will do it 
I've been in my car
And put my foot down on the accelerator 
Daring myself to drive in to the nearest wall
Or go so far that the car spins out of control
I've had urged to break my fingers and toes 
To put a hot iron on my skin
To throw myself from the top of the stairs 
Or walk out bin front of a car
The other day I had a huge urge to delete my blog 
And stop writing altogether
I though that I was just writing drivel 
That I was a bad person
And hurt people
And always said/wrote the wrong thing 
I feel like I'm always putting my foot in it 
And here in our little corner of blogger 
A lot of people here are fragile
And I need to remember that 

I go back to the original title of this blog
And then she disappeared
Even though I have since changed it to and then she recovered
The original title still holds meaning for me
I still get huge urged to disappear 
From my blog
From the Internet 
From my life 
From this earth
I'm not sure why 
I just don't always feel like I want to be here 
At this point 
I must say 
Please don't worry about me writing this 
I am perfectly fine 
Just feeling a little maudlin and sad today
And that's ok
I had an amazing day yesterday 
And I think I am on a bit of a come down today 

I'm not going to do anything silly 
I'm not feeling suicidal 
Or anything like it
These feelings and thoughts are normal for me 
I deal with them all the time
I gues sometimes I question myself and my life
And even this blog
I question why I am writing 
Is it for me?
For my own ego?
Is it to help others?
Or maybe both?
All I know is that I love writing this blog 
And I love you my fellow bloggers
This blog has been there for me in my darkest hour 
And also to celebrate my recovery 
I feel drawn to it
I feel compelled to write
Even if no one was reading 
I think I would still write 
Because it helps me
It warms my heart
And lightens my burden
And fills my soul 
It's an amazing thing 
To have a head full of noise
To sit down and write and write 
And come to the end
And my mind is quiet
There are very few things that have that effect on me 
And writing is definitely one of them 

I am so grateful to have this blog 
And you as my dear friends
It's no exaggeration to say that my online social life is more active than my real life social life 
We something special here on blogger
In something as isolating as an ED
We have found friendship and solace in each other 
We have found acceptance and unconditional love 
Understanding and valuable advice 
I know a lot of people think that these kind of blogs are not healthy
Or helpful at all 
Maybe that's because we accept someone's choice if they choose not to recover
You know when I first embarked on recovery
I worried that I wouldn't have a place in this community anymore 
I was even warned by others that I would be rejected by people here 
But I have in fact found the opposite 
My choices and decision have been accepted
And even celebrated 
And I am eternally grateful for that 

I'm writing this blog now over three years 
I often go back an read old posts 
It's amazing to have almost every day documented 
And I also notice all the bloggers who have disappeared over the years 
Do you remember Rayya?
The Lively Bones
Emily
Winter 
Peridot 
Thinderella who vanished off the face of the earth 
And more recently 
Mandy 
(R)oxyskinny
I think of these girls often 
We were part of the fabric of each other's lives 
I wonder what happened to them 
Did they recover?
Did they find that they didn't need this community anymore? 
Did they go in to hospital/treatment?
Did they die?
I wish I knew 
As they all had a special place in my heart 
I have it set up that if something happened to me 
Then my sister or Mother can log in to my blogger account 
And let you all know 
As much as I would like to disappear sometimes 
I would hate to leave you all wondering what happened to me 
I cherish our community 
And hope to preserve it 
Hope to welcome in new bloggers 
And continue to support the regulars 

With all that said 
I was wondering about you
Do you know what happened to any of these bloggers? 
How do you feel about our community at the moment?
Do you feel our community helps one another?
Do you have any new blogs you would like to share?
Is love to know...

11 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby, I like your blog but I haven't been "with" you for so very, very, very long. Long enough, though, to say with all my heart please don't disappear!
    I like the fact that you post daily. I like it that you write about your daily life. I *love* the peace in the last couple of posts, and I love the sense of moving on and into something calmer and better. I know that there will still be ups and downs (as you note just now) but that's part of life. I am glad you would keep writing. You write well, and it's nice. I like the honesty and openness of your blog too. I think it is right to blog mainly for you. What you say here about the peace it brings you is so, so important. Don't let that go.
    I suppose there are some things that I can imagine might be helpful if you want to nurture the community further -- I think what you do is wonderful, but I wondered sometimes, do you have a thing that alerts you to when people comment on old posts? You always reply if it is on the same day, but I've seen old posts where someone's replied later (not just me, other people too). Also, perhaps tagging posts with themes and then having something where people can search the theme could help newcomers navigate for a fuller impression, because with so many daily posts if one steps in several years into the conversation then it's only the ones at the top of the page that give one the orientation. But truly, this is up to you. This is YOUR home! Thank you for being so hospitable to so many people, and take care and keep calm and safe. I do know what you mean about mind wandering on one's own... Do you have some friends you can catch up with or something? x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry
      I'm not disappearing anytime soon
      Just had a maudlin day
      But I feel better now x

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry about the maudlin day.
      And so glad you are feeling better now!
      Here's for a good remainder of the week! :)

      Delete
  2. "I get strange urges from time to time..."

    Yes. I do know what you mean.

    I'm sure it's at the root of the whole ED/ addiction thing. Scratch of all the layers and there is "something" way way way down. Something self destructive.

    I'm almost certain it is some kind of childhood trauma. But who would know? Obviously it needs to be dealt with. I'm going to bring it up with my counselor.

    You really can't be worrying that you'll offend people with your journey/story/words. Truly. That is a boundary issue. Where you stop and the other person begins. If they are offended that is their stuff. And they will love you anyway and that is life. I think it ties into perfectionism.

    xoxo Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelby
      For your continued and unwavering support
      It means more than you know x

      Delete
  3. There are so many on my blog list that have just vanished and I constantly fear that they are dead, but I hope that they managed to get better, that they left their ED behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to be in a similar boat this weekend - home alone for a few days. It's always stressful, but at the moment I'm looking forward to the break.

    I get those self-destructive impulses too. I think it's part of BPD for me, part just self-harm. Driving over bridges, walking on cliffs, even just day to day in the kitchen surrounded by sharp and hot things, or wanting to throw my body against walls and beat myself up.

    It always plays on my mind when bloggers disappear. I try to keep in contact as best I can, but sometimes it's just too much. I still have Lovely and a few others on Facebook, but emails tend to slip and stop over time.

    My family know about my blog, my brother reads it from time to time. It's always been a comfort in my mind knowing they'd be able to let you all know if something happened to me.

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange isn't Bells
      The way we get these self destructive urged
      For me
      They are not as bad as they used to be
      But they are still there

      I hope you enjoy some time to yourself
      I know I am looking forward to it

      Didn't get your card yet
      But really looking forward to it x

      Delete
  5. Peridot is still active on Tumblr (glueandpieces.tumblr.com and a side blog that does fanfic stuff). She's possibly coming to the U.S. for a convention next year fall and I am threatening to drive over and kidnap her :) She said trying to post to Blogger makes headspaz worse these days, but she's still kicking.

    I found Emily Anonymous's (Bulimia Girl) disappearance troubling, but she popped back in for a short while so I am less afraid that something terrible has happened this time.

    There are several who dropped off the radar, even for years, that I've seen recent posts saying they are alive and fairly well and life is better in recovery, even though it's not perfect. It makes me glad I don't get around to unsubscribing dormant blogs much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x