Wednesday 9 September 2015

Dedicated follower of fashion...

It's only in recent times that I've become interested in clothes and fashion
And my appearance in general
Growing up I was a bit of a Tomboy
And lived in jeans and trainers
I can remember when I was a teenager
Me and my friends would go in to town on a Saturday 
I used to spend about ten minutes getting ready
And would then call over to my friend 
For her
Getting ready was a military operation
Her hair 
Her clothes 
Her make up
I can remember sitting in her bathroom watching her deftly apply eye liner
And lipstick
But I felt no urge to do it myself 
I've always worn minimal make up
Mascara and foundation is about as far as I go

As a teenager 
I experimented with different styles of clothes 
But I could never find one that I felt both comfortable and fashionable
I can remember my fifteenth birthday
My parents brought me in to town to buy me some clothes as a present
I couldn't find anything that I liked
And I remember buying a few items
Just got the sake of buying them 
I didn't know what I wanted to look like 
I just knew what've didn't want to looking 
Most of my friends wore very feminine and girly clothes
But I knew that wasn't me
But I also couldn't find any thing that was 'me'

Fast forward 
And I turn 18
I've been dabbling in drugs throughout my teens 
And shortly after my 18th birthday
I take heroin for the first time
And my world spins out of control
The drug was number one 
Everything else paled into insignificance 
My family 
My friends 
My education
Clothes were just not a priority any more 
Any money that I had went on the drug 
Every single penny 
And any clothes that I did have were in tatters 
Handy tip
Never wear good clothes while smoking heroin 
You will inevitable drop the cigarettes many times 
And burn holes in said clothes
I had zero interest in clothes throughout the drug years
Or the ED years 
Having to find teeny tiny clothes could be a problem 
And anything that I did find just looked ridiculous on my skinny frame 

It's really only in the last year that I have found a look that I like
A look that suits me 
And I feel comfortable and put together 
In recent weeks 
I've had a lot of comments on my look
It has changed 
I now wear glasses
And I have my nose pierced 
Breda noticed it on Monday
I was able to tell her that this is the look I've always liked 
But never had the confidence to wear
Also my clothes 
I have now found that I am most comfortable in surfer type clothes
Hoodies 
Jeans or chinos 
And trainers or high tops 
I feel like myself in these clothes
I feel confident
And most importantly 
I feel comfortable 

I tend to have two sets of clothes
One for the house 
And one for outside 
At home 
I am down on the floor with the dogs
Cleaning
Doing housework 
And generally pottering around 
So for that I wear a tracksuit
Or leggings 
And a hoody 
Still feeling like myself 
But not any clothes that I want to keep good
When I am out and about
I wear jeans and a top
Or chinos 
With a good hoody
And good trainers 
And yes 
I do have 'good' clothes

I can remember times when I've been out and about
And I will see someone whose style that I love 
I have often tried to replicate that outfit 
But it never looked the same on me
So now I go for pieces that I know are me
I know straight away when I see an item of clothing 
Whether it's me or not 
I now know what suits me
And what doesn't 
And I feel confident in choosing clothes for myself 

I guess during the last year
I have been finding myself 
Who I am
My likes and dislikes
My style 
My opinions 
My views 
My personality 
It's really exciting finding out who Ruby is 
I guess I'm doing now 
What people usually do in their twenties 
Experimenting 
And finding themselves
I'm not conventional in any sense of the word 
I spent my whole teenage years trying to fit in
But now I like to be different 
I like to stand out 
The world would be an extremely boring place if we were all the same 
I'm not that alternative either 
But I like to be a little quirky if I can 

Nowadays 
I like to take pride in my appearance 
I do my hair
Wear a little make up 
And try to look presentable when I'm out 
Of course there are days when I can't face anything more than a tracksuit 
But that's ok too 
No one is perfect 

With all that said 
I was wondering about you 
What is your style?
What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
Do you have a style icon?
Who influences you?
Has your style changed over the years? 
I would love to know....

18 comments:

  1. Hey Ruby,

    I was the same as you, very much a tom boy when I was younger. I didn't like make-up at all and I never wore skirts or dresses because I felt naked wearing them.
    I also went through my teen years trying to fit in and be like everybody else just because they decided something was cool.
    Now I'm very much my own person with my own style and I, like you want to stand out rather than blend in with the crowd.
    I'm very much a 50s housewife at heart. I love 40s and 50s pin-up style clothing and of course burlesque. If I ever live near a dance school that offers burlesque I will definitely go for it, the costumes are so pretty and Dita Von Teese is amazing.
    I'm notorious for buying the same dress in different colours because it's pretty and with summer coming here I am looking forward to ordering things to ad to my summer wardrobe. The store I like is no where near where I live, so I'll have to order online.
    And you are very right, the world would indeed be very boring if we were all the same.
    PS. Thank you for shedding some light on the smoking is harder to quit than heroin thing. I've heard this too and have often wondered if it were true.
    I hope you are doing well
    Anne Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh o love that look Anne!
      My glasses are kind of 1950s
      I love that retro throwback look
      My clothes are very surgery though

      Oh yes
      Heroin was by far the harder to give up
      No question

      I am doing well thanks
      Hope you are too x

      Delete
  2. Black or grey x-large t-shirts and jeans, a long black cardigan if I'm cold; that's what I wear, always. Anything to fade like a ninja into the background.

    I wish I could wear flowing printed stuff, but when you are round you just look ridiculous.

    Oh, and I love fifties style, when women still wore hats and gloves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess what ever we are comfortable in
      I will not wear something if it's not comfortable
      I don't wear high heels even
      The most I would stretch to is s small wedge
      I am just finding my own style right now
      And it's proving to be lots of fun x

      Delete
  3. I used to dress for others. I wore ridiculous clothes. Tight jeans,.all of that. Since I was often under the influence, a very foolish choice. I used to waste a lot of money on clothes. I dressed for others. I was very particular. I mainly wore black and darker colours. And a lot of makeup.

    If I didn't look "nice" I wouldn't go out.

    you see, I only existed to get love from others. I had no value. Just a shell of a person.If anyone saw me ugly, obviously they wouldn't like me any more. I was all about sexay.

    Now I try to buy environmentally friendly/sweatshop free quality. I see myself as a life experience warrior so I dress very practically and modestly . Since everything goes on the line here in the hot sun I love the freshly laundered stiff feel. I have to wear my clothes off the line, always has to be clean. I really favor whites, beige, yellow and greys.

    I don't give a f... if some dude thinks I look like shit now.

    So I guess in my teens and early 20s I was very particular. I have loosened up so much and I don't wear much makeup anymore. I refuse to apologize for my actual face. I do wear a bit of mascara most days though. In short I don't think my earlier experimentation and fashion consciousness was good. However I can see if self care is an issue it is important to present appropriately and with self worth.

    Anyway!


    I love your style. I think you are cute and practical. I love those patterned trousers from a few months back. Specs look good too. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it do freeing Shelby
      To wear what you want
      And what you don't want
      To dress for you and not others
      I am becoming more and more comfortable in my own skin
      And now
      When I see a piece a clothing
      I know immediately if it me or not
      Oh the joys of getting older..... X

      Delete
  4. you always look good in your photos xxx jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps all i want to wear these days is pjs everything else is a chore, wish there were baby grows for adults x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Jo
      I love pjs so much
      I spend at least half my life in them
      and some people around here even wear them outside
      I'm not that bad yet though x

      Delete
    2. I've seen that too.
      I don't know what it means.
      Have they given up? Or are they just mega comfy?

      Delete
  6. It took me until I hit 30 before I really settled into one style. I've been all over the place--grunge, goth, metalhead/punk, glam, rockabilly, and everything in between. For the last two-ish years though I've found a style that's just me. The "gothic Western" look as my friends call it, as I tend to lean towards dark colours. Long skirts or black jeans and cowboy boots, and dark coloured tops.

    Except at home, then it's usually sweatpants. Or no pants at all.

    I like your style. It's different, which is something I think a lot people are too afraid to be. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed reading this Mich
      Because I was the same
      Tried so many different looks over the years
      But am now happy with my clothing choices
      And I like to be a little different

      Hope you are doing ok Hun? X

      Delete
  7. I've always had my own style, although it evolves and changes throughout the years. I'm definitely a goth at heart, have been since I was 12ish. For instance, I used to wear more long skirts and flowing things, but the ED has made me majorly uncomfortable in baggy flowing clothes. Unfortunately I don't get dressed up much anymore, but I used to take great pride in dressing up everyday. I'm hoping sewing will get me more motivated to get dressed up more often.

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your look Bells
      It really suits you
      And I love to see posts where you get all dressed up
      I hope you can do more of that
      I think getting all done up is good for us too
      To remind us how it feels x

      Delete
  8. Man, I wish I could tell you that I had some fabulous style but if you were to catch me about 90% of the time I'm in work out shorts, yoga pants, sweat pants, and a tank top to go with it. I'm always ready to go to the gym and I'm always dressed for comfort. I still do my make up and make my hair look nice, I just look like a gym rat. :D If I'm dressing up I'm definitely in a bohemian style dress or maxi skirts/dresses. And of course, I've got my tattoos and piercings so I either look like I'm ready to lift heavy stuff or I've got that pierced bohemian look. I loathe jeans with every fiber in my soul so if it's winter and I have to look nice I'm probably being a basic girl in leggings, a long, oversized sweater, and boots. I can't stand anything constricting. If it's tight, it better be stretchy lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add that I feel like I do things just to do them. I'll wear my metal band t-shirts or pokemon dress (hell yes I have one of these) to meet with clients, but I'll put a cardigan on it or have nicer pants or bottoms and flats so that it looks like I am trying. There's sort of a defiance in me that doesn't want to grow up but still wants to look like a woman. It's very confusing right now because with only a year left in my graduate program, I know that I will soon need to be dressing to look professional but I am unwilling to sacrifice my piercings. Usually a nostril is standard, and so are earrings, but I've got surface piercings and a septum and I just don't want to give it up you know? I could a retainer for the septum I can flip back so it looks like it's not there, but I've found becoming an adult means dressing a little different so people take you seriously, but I don't want to lose myself in the process. It's funny.

      Delete
    2. Don't lose yourself, Eve: You're FIERS-!
      <3 Jils

      Delete
  9. I don't have a characteristic style - I love many styles. You will usually find me in jeans and a T-shirt due to lack of energy or dysmorphia telling me "You can't wear that." But I like a lot of looks. My clothes range from borderline rockabilly (a strappy short dress with butterflies and skeletons) to "trying to be an artsy fairy thing" lacy soft dresses (but with boots, because I can't handle being 100% girly most of the time) to "I could go to an interview in this.

    I would say my classic go-to comfortable casual is flare or wide-leg jeans, a tank top, and a nice fitted button-down shirt with a collar. I've been a fan of that outfit since my early teens, and I still love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x