Friday 9 October 2015

Back on track

I woke up this morning feeling a little better
The past few mornings 
I've really struggled to wake up
And to get up
I just wanted to sleep the day away
And completely zone out
But I can't do that 
I have two dogs that rely on me to let them out in the morning
To walk them 
To feed them
And to play with them 
And thank God I do
Because otherwise I don't think I would ever get out of bed

I guess an accumulation of things have got to me over the last week
Coming home from my holiday 
Failing my driving test
Being attacked on my blog
And losing weight all contributed to being a big ol' bump in the road for me
But that's life I guess 
You just have to roll with punches

I suppose I'm back to reality now 
Back to everyday life 
Back to my humdrum existence 
I know it's up to me to get back on track now 
I need to make some decisions
I need to decide whether I want to be in recovery from drugs or not
Because I am misusing my meds 
And in my book 
That is as good as using 
It alters my mood
It gets me out of my head
And if I do choose recovery 
I need to decide whether I want to do it the 12 step way
And go to meetings 
And work a programme 
And really get a good foundation in my recovery

I haven't been to a meeting in a few months now
And once I stop going 
It's really very hard to go back
And the longer you leave it
The harder it becomes 

I met a girl this morning from the meetings 
I chatted to her for a while 
It was nice 
I could see the recovery in her
And hear it in her voice
I want that 
I want that peace of mind 
That confidence 
And contentment 
I haven't  been in touch with any of my friends since before I went away 
It's a bit of a sad fact 
That my online social life 
Is a lot more active than my real live one 

I've had to deal with a lot of cravings recently
On holidays 
It was smoking 
I was dying for a cigarette 
As everyone in Turkey seems to smoke 
And I've also been having a lot of using dreams 
They are always the same 
The same people 
The same scenario 
It's so vivid 
And do real 
That when I wake up I'm in a cold sweat 
I saw a show recently about methadone users in Dublin
It was lazy journalism if you ask me
They didn't report from outside Dublin
And all the participants were stereotypical drug addicts 
Junkies 
I think sometimes people in this country forget that there is life beyond Dublin 

I think I wrote about having a drink on the plane on the way to Turkey
I don't know why I did 
I saw others drinking 
And I wanted one too 
This was the third instance that I have taken a drink in recent times 
But
As I always suspected 
I don't like the effect that alcohol has on me 
I'm a horrible drunk
I talk complete bullshit 
And either become really annoying 
Or really emotional
No
I think it's safe to say that I can't hold my drink 
I think also the thing I don't like about drink and drugs 
Is that  it's not real 
Anything you feel 
You say 
You do while under the influence is not real
It's all fake 
The friendships 
The relationships 
The conversations 
None of it is real 
When I was using heroin
I hung around in a particular group of people 
We had nothing in common
Only the drug 
We had nothing to say to each other 
Until after we took the drug
Then we acted like best friends 
There is no loyalty in addiction
Who ever you are with that day is your best buddy 
Until the drug wears off
And then you are back to being strangers again 
I know that I can't use or drink
Even now and again 
As with a lot of things with me 
It's all or nothing
Black or white 

This post really is to let you know that I'm  not giving up 
Not just yet anyway 
I have come too far to turn back now 
And I've now seen what life could be like for me 
If I persevere in my recovery 
Over that last week 
I just wanted to fall apart 
To just lie down and let my ED and addiction wash over me
And consume me 
But I won't let that happen if I can help it 
I will continue to fight 
Continue you to seek a better life 
For me and my family 

Since I started writing my blog three and a half years ago 
Amazing things have happened 
I've won awards 
I've met the most amazing people 
Who I now call friends 
I've participated in studies
Helped students with projects
And more recently was contacted by a magazine to write an article
More of which to come 
I've been contacted by people from all over the world 
People who are also suffering 
Concerned family members 
Friends 
My blog has been an amazingly strong force for good in my life 
And I am so grateful for that 
As we all know 
There is strength in numbers 
And I truly believe that by joining forces together 
We can put up a resistance to mental health issues 
And addiction 

I guess sometimes 
I can get a little overwhelmed by my situation
Writing that piece for the magazine 
It brought me back to my past 
And the reasons I turned to drugs and food 
It can all seem like too much when I condense it like that 
I suppose I feel like I am at a disadvantage a lot of the time 
I have had to fight tooth and nail
To get to the point where most people start off
I struggle just to get through the day 
Without completely losing my mind
Or my marbles 
I try my best every day
To be the best version of myself that I can be
I've come a long way in the last year 
But there is much work to be done 
I am trying though 
And with the help of my family 
I know I will get there 

I also wanted to say thank you
To you my little blogger family 
For being there 
Every single step of the way
For believing in me 
When I didn't believe in myself
For reading 
For commenting
For emailing and texting 
You have been nothing short of amazing 
And I love and treasure every one of you 

So if you are feeling low today
If you feel like hope is slipping away 
That you are so tired of holding on
Of fighting 
Of trying to be well
I want to urge you to keep going 
I promise you
Things can and will get better 
All we have to do is deal with this day 
24 hours 
Anything is possible in that space of time 
Our whole lives can transform in the space of a day 
The important thing is to keep putting one foot in front of the other
And keep going 
Do what you have to do to stay well
Take time for yourself 
Put yourself first 
Be kind to you 
And gentle 
Because you are worth it
And you deserve to be as well as you can 
So please 
Today 
If you do one thing 
Say to yourself 
I'm exactly where I am supposed to be 
Because you are
We all are
We are good people 
Yes you too
You are a good person
And you deserve to be well and happy 
We all do 
So please 
Do this today 
You won't regret it
I promise you 

6 comments:

  1. Getting up in the morning is the most difficult thing I have to do every day. Having to care for someone else makes all the difference in the world. I'd be dead if I didn't have the cats to take care of.

    I hate the drug dreams. They always leave me in a weird funk when I wake up.

    Keep fighting. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich
      I know
      My dogs have saved my sanity and my life Many many times

      Yes the drug dreams are tough
      It's such a relief to wake up from them

      I will keep fighting
      Pinkie promise? X

      Delete
  2. Hi Rubly, sorry I missed ystrdy, (I don't Blog/online ennathg on Thurs), but I'm So Glad you're feeling better-!
    Lovie, you've had lots going on these past wks & I think it all has just overwhelmed you, frankly!! Not to be cliché nor ATAHL make lite of the situ or be dismissive, but it truly IS only temporary-! [& we both hv the evidence of this b/c you just said you felt a bit better today]-??
    Glad you're better AND that you've opted to keep hanging in--I'd surely hate ennathg horrendous happening to you; you are a Beloved friend--oL relationships totally DO count-!! <3 <3 : ) No pressure or nothin', but I'd be Thoroughly GUTTED to lose you!!! D: so Please……

    →Whateverittakes, Darlin' DO IT-!!!←

    I feel so STUPID, been meaning to ask you forEVER if you'd gvn thought to going bk to the reflexologist Lady ?? (as you've not writ again of her). Why not book an appt & pamper yourself-??
    [Rumour has it, best 5-er ever spent…] ; )

    BIG Hugs, <3 Jils
    PS: & 'No,' she ISN'T mad @ you-!! :/

    PS²: No, she's NOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he
      This comment made me laugh Jils
      You know me well...

      No I haven't seen the reflexology lady in quite a while
      And yes
      I do think she was annoyed with me
      But even so
      That was just for six sessions
      So if I was to go back it would be very expensive
      I'll think about it though
      Maybe her and I could work out a deal

      I grateful for your friendship Jils
      You never fail to make me smile
      Even when I don't want to

      Hope you ar well x

      Delete
  3. Chuffed you had a laugh…yess-! 'SUCCESS' ^ ^

    OhnO, I didn't kno that was a limited-time-only deal, else I would not hv brought it up!! RATS
    hoping you don't feel worser now cos I mentioned…
    : ((

    I love you, Fiers One-!
    <3 Jils
    This shud b in 'reply'; sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry at all
      No need to apologise

      Love you too x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x