Friday 2 October 2015

Heading Home

Today is the very last day of our holiday
We fly back to Istanbul tonight
Then on to Dublin after an eight hour stopover 
Then arriving home tomorrow afternoon
And you know what?
I am ready to go home
And have been for a few days
I was chatting with my mother last night
And she said that she didn't think I enjoyed the holiday
I didn't know what to say 
As I have and I haven't 
I have to admit
This would not have been my first choice of holiday
In fact
I don't even know what sort of holiday I would like
As I've always just gone along with others holidays 
I've never organised a holiday myself
I know I like the sun 
Not too hot
But warmer than my own countries climate
Enough to get a tan
I know I like to read when I'm away
I like to eat nice food 
I like to go on tours
I like to go shopping
I like to talk to people
Where?
I'd love to travel more around the U.S.
I'd love to go to Rhodes
Japan 
Asia 
So we have agreed that the next holiday that we go on
I will organise 

I just can't wait to get home 
To see Honey and Lea
To have a decent cup of tea
Have some home cooked food
Sleep in my own bed 
I think one of the best things about going away 
Is coming home
Back to our creature comforts
I'm definitely more of a home bird I think
I like routine 
Having said all that 
I did love Istanbul
The people are amazing 
Most of whom are so friendly and hospitable 
Of course 
Like any group of people 
There are a small minority that try to scam you you and hoodwink you
But you get that anywhere in the world
I loved hearing to the call to prayer every day
Seeing other cultures
Talking to the local people 
Having the 'craic' as we say at home
The people really made the holiday for me
The man who gave me a live fish to throw back in to the river
The man in the Grand bizarre who randomly said to me
'Experience comes after the first mistake' 
The young guy in our hotel who loved to practise his English on us
The many waiters we met who always had a joke and a laugh with us
Watching the Muslim women dressed from head to toe in black
So all you could see was there eyes
Which were always so beautiful 
Carrying their designer handbags
I read that these women can take off their garb when the are with other women 
Or with their husband
And the women are pretty competitive when it comes to what they wear under their layers of black
And of course
You can't miss the obvious poverty here
The families 
And children on the street
In rags 
Literally nothing to their name
It can be very upsetting 

Am just heading out now
For one last look around the town
I really hope you got just a little taste of Turkey from these posts
See you when I'm back on home turf....

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving some love x