Thursday 1 October 2015

The Big C

No 
I am not talking about cancer
Thank God for that 
But I am talking about another C
That C being constipation
I was supposed to go to Ephuses today with my Mum and sister
Up until beakfast I was going
But then
I found myself in the bathroom
So backed up and uncomfortable
That I couldn't bear going on a guided tour 
Where there may be no toilets 
Or worse
There might be a hole in the ground toilet
Being bulimic
Or at least trying to recover from bulimia
I pay close attention to toilets and flushes 
Especially when out and about
Or in a restaurant or cafe
It can be quite the tricky operation trying to purge in public bathrooms 
Although here 
In fairness 
I have been very lucky with toilets
And have had no major problems

Anyway 
I elected to stay in the hotel for the day
And was looking forward to having done time to myself
And finishing my book
I spent the day between my bed
Where I slept for two hours 
And the roof terrace 
Where I caught some last minute sun
One of the young lads they work here
Came up and asked me if I wanted a drink
And a few minutes later he came up with a tall, cool glass of lemonade
It was most welcome

Our hotel here is lovely
Our room is small but comfortable mans perfectly formed 
Food here is hit and miss for me
Some things I have liked
Some I haven't 
And I am missing home cooking 
You kind of get sick of eating out all the time
And ham!
OMfreakin'G I miss ham so much 
I can't wait to have a ham salad sandwich when I get home

The other day 
I was backed up again with the C word
My sister suggested that I drink a strong coffee to get things moving 
So we headed to the nearest cafe
Where my sister ordered me an espresso
As you know
I am a confirmed tea drinker
And actually hate coffee
But if it did the trick
I was willing to try it
I knocked back the coffee
Then had half of my sisters Americano
It was horrible
Like drinking neat alcohol
But I hoped it would help
An hour later we were heading out for dinner
And settled on a Thai place around the corner from our hotel 
I was hungry 
And really looking forward to something tasty
I ordered the beef salad
And when it came it looked delicious
But when I had a few mouthfuls 
I could feel my stomach churning and gurgling 
I continued to eat 
And even tasted some of my sisters curry
But then
I had to stop
It was coming 
I could feel it 
I was going to throw up
I quietly excused myself 
Threw on my jacket
And ran in the pouring rain
All the way to my hotel 
Just in the nick of time
I made it to the bathroom 
The mixture of the coffee and the food had not been a good combination
I feel so much better after I got sick though 
And the coffee even helped with the constipation
I hope I am not sharing too much here
But I know that bodily functions are hot topics in the ED world
I know when I was in treatment 
We were constantly talking about bowel movements and the like
Because when you are messing with your food and your body
All these functions are sent in to disarray
The best advice I ever got for helping yourself go
Is to raise your legs a little
Like put your feet on a bin
It kind of helps angle your body for easier well...... You know what I mean
It just helps things flow easier
Oh my goodness I am so sorry if this is too much information
But that little tip might help someone out there

The other day when I posted some photos
I forgot to point out something about the 'cat man'
He actually had a set of weighing scales in front of him 
And was inviting people to weigh themselves
Holy shit
That is my worst nightmare come true 
Weighing myself in a public place
So I gave him some money 
But politely declined his offer to weigh go

See if you can spot the scales....






4 comments:

  1. the bit about the cat man made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw sweetie, constipation sucks :( and thanks for the tip :P it would probably come in handy.
    I love coffee! Espresso and Americano are both black coffees though and I can't take mine without a splash of milk >.<
    "OMfreakin'G" you're so cute!
    That's so weird, is it a cultural thing? Why'd he have scales?
    I take it that you're on a trip, since you mentioned hotel? (gosh, I'm so not up to date with everything! I missed y'all so much!) I hope it's been a fun trip/continue to be one! Take care <3

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo! Sorry to hear constipation kept you stuck inside in such a beautiful place. I'm a big fan on fiber supplements - I think I'd flip out if I had to go without! Black coffee always did the trick before I drank it regularly though. I've read that angle is actually quite important, and squatting lines up your digestive track better than sitting on western toilets. I don't think it's TMI. I'm a little obsessed with tracking BMs myself.

    Those scales! I'm curious - was he using them to make money, or were they just randomly there?

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spotted the scales straight away. A bit strange, but people surrounded by cats usually are. The cats are very sweet.
    BM's are an issue when travelling. Coffee keeps me regular, I love the stuff though, so do my mum and sister, my dad doesn't like it at all.
    I had horrible Bali Belly when I got back from Indonesia so I understand. I'm glad you felt better afterwards. It's always a relief when it's over and you feel like you're back to normal. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.
    Anne Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x