Saturday 5 December 2015

The build up to the season....

We are having a quiet family Christmas this year
The only person coming for dinner is my elderly neighbour
And I doubt she will stay very long
I thank my lucky stars, God and whoever else made this happen 
As I just couldn't cope with a big deal this Christmas
There will be seven of us 
All of whom are aware of my situation and will cut me some slack if I need it

I have nothing done for Christmas
Not one present bought
We are supposed to be putting up the decorations today 
But I would rather eat my own food 
This is not a good sign 
As I am usually chief decorator 
I just can't seem to summon the energy or the inclination 
But as ever 
I will put on a brave face 
And do my best to get in to the Christmas spirit 
Which reminds me
I must do a Christmas survival kit post soon 

In other new 
The bingeing and purging seems to have ceased 
Praise the Lord!
As I was beginning to lose the will to live over here 
It really is truly horrid to be stuck in the binge purge cycle 
The feeling of being wildly out of control
Of not being able to stop 
The relentless march from the kitchen to the bathroom 
The constant shopping and the waste of money on good food 
It's all just a nightmare 
I had been going since I was in Cork
There is something about being in someone else's house 
That makes me feel so out of control
And I feel I have to eat all the time
When I got home
I spent another three days on the merry-go-round 
And then yesterday 
All of a sudden 
It stopped in its tracks
I dont know how or why 
Maybe I was burnt out 
Maybe my body had had enough 
Whatever the reason
I'm just glad it's over 
For now

I feel like a complete fraud at the moment 
A fraud in recovery 
A fraud being clean and sober
A fraud in life
But then again
I am also conscious not to be too hard on myself 
Because I know that's food for the disorder
And that's the last thing I need

As I mentioned yesterday 
I am now the weight that I wanted to get to
Which is the weight I was before ED
And was also my goal weight when I was in hospital 
Which puts me at a BMI of almost 20
So
Now that I've lost weight
Do I feel any happier?
Any better?
Am I now thin and pretty?
Has my life improved in any great way?
Am I more popular?
More successful?
Does weight loss make me a better person?
Well I can categorically answer no to all those questions
In reality 
The only thing that has changed 
Is that I take up less space
And what good is that?
The only other side effects I have experienced are dizziness, nausea, seeing stars and lightheadedness
I think back to a few weeks ago
When I was about 7 kilos heavier 
I was doing ok
I wasn't unhappy 
Ok some days i struggled with body image
But I was getting on with my life 
I wasn't weighing myself 
And I felt pretty good
I know that I need to let go of the reigns
The control
And let my body be
Stop trying to mould myself in to what society deems beautiful
I had reached a point where i liked  the curvy look more than the skinny look
I look at Cheryl Cole on the TV every week 
Her ever shrinking frame
Her hollow cheek bones
Her eyes huge in her head
And I feel nothing but sorry for her
She is not to be coveted or envied 
She is to be pitied
I was even beginning to like my thighs
Which I've always hated
Yet
I let my mind play tricks on me
I went back to thinking that skinny was the way to go
But it doesn't suit me
It never has
I just look pale and wan and ill

So
This is me 
I am struggling 
Even though logically and rationally I know what I am doing is not good
It's still so very hard to stop
And the time of year doesn't help either
But as ever
And like all the ladies here on blogger
I will keep fighing
Keep hoping 
And most of all 
Keep believing.....




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're getting back on track with the b/p issue. You are definitely not a fraud. As long as you actively want to get better, you're still in recovery.

    I haven't started Christmas shopping either....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x