Friday 8 January 2016

Friday 8 January

Yesterday was tough
I broke down in tears on three separate occasions
Once with Mary
Again on the phone to my Dad
Then later on to Mam
It felt like everything I've worked for
Is crumbling underneath me
All the hard graft I've put in to my recovery
Gone in an instant 
My Dad wanted to come and see me
But he lives over an hour away
So that wouldn't be fair
My Mam is amazing as always
Telling me with such conviction
That I will get well
She said that she has every confidence that I will get through this
I wish I had her faith 
Because I fear for my own sanity
I really do 
There is only so much that the body and mind can take 

At the moment
Depression is clouding my judgement 
It sits on my mind like a dark cloud that constantly  rains 
I think Mary and the psych are right
I'm not getting the benefit of my meds
Because I am purging so much 
I need to get this under control 
I really can't go on like this 
I have too much to lose at this point 

I have a follow up hospital appointment today 
I'm not entirely sure what or why
But I guess it's good to get checked out
I got my blood test results too yesterday
My potassium is a little low
But nothing to be too concerned about
Just keep an eye on it for now 

One thing Mary talked about yesterday
Is occupation
And having something to do
Because I don't do very much at the moment 
I walk my dogs
I do house work
I read 
I watch TV 
I don't do a whole lot outside of the house
I think I need to expand my horizons
I want to check back With the dog shelter
Find out about the local writing group
Maybe start social dancing 
In case you are wondering what social dancing is 
I'm not entirely sure
But I know it involves people and dancing
And what's not to love about that?
I might even meet a nice farmer
I am a country girl now after all....

Look
The thing is 
I know what I need to do 
This is not my first rodeo 
I also want to go back to my support groups 
Even though I am convinced no one likes me there
But I'm at the point where I don't really care if people like me or not 
I need to go for myself 
And if I go to the meetings I feel
Comfortable at 
And as Breda says 
I don't need to speak if I don't want to 
I just need to be there 
Soak up the recovery 
And leave the rest

So 
The plan of action 
Is to keep my appointments 
With all the professionals 
Because I have been known to cancel appointments when I don't want to face my issues
Take it easy over the weekend 
Eat well
Rest 
Relax 
And then Monday 
Hit the ground running 
And find some interesting and worthwhile things to do 
I'm really interested in volunteering 
In any capacity really 
With animals for sure 
But also maybe the elderly 
The sick
People who are lonely 
I actually think I get on better with peoe who are older than me 
I feel more comfortable with them
And am more myself 
So that's something to look in to 

At the moment 
I am just one decision away from getting in to bed 
Pulling the covers over my head 
And forgetting about everything
I know I could easily fall apart at a moments notice 
But 
I guess at times like this 
You fake it till you make it 
Pretend until it becomes real
I'm a firm believer in that 

Also 
I know I say it a lot 
But thank you 
Thank you so much for reading 
For commenting, emailing and texting 
Your support has helped hold me together recently 
It means more than you will ever know
I just hope that I can do the same for you

16 comments:

  1. "I might even meet a nice farmer....."

    Oh, I can see you on a farm, surrounded by dogs and cattle, with a handsome Irish farmer by your side :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the dream CP
      I was joking in my post
      But I really would like to meet a like minded person
      With a bit of land we can rest animals on
      I would just love to have two donkeys
      Called Shelly
      And Sammy
      My idea of heaven..... X

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you so much Ruby <3 Please try to stay positive, focus on your life, on your future, on your dreams. Lean on your support network at this horrible time for you. Mary is there for you. Your psychiatrist, your GP, your parents, family, Honey and Lea...even little old me! Keep dreaming, keep believing. Life is out there waiting for you. Go grab it by the balls! Xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie
      You are like a little angel
      AlwAys there with a kind word
      And thoughtful well wishes
      I'm going to fight
      For my life
      And my families
      This stops now
      We can do this x

      Delete
  3. Well done for thinking about how to hep yourself, even though it must be very hard to motivate yourself right now. Are there any nursing homes near you? They might have an activity coordinator who would be grateful for volunteers to help them with the activities they run in the homes- I've done this before and it's been really enjoyable, doing things like looking through old photos online, playing cards, doing puzzles etc. Just a thought anyway! Good luck and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good suggestion
      Yes there are some care and nursing homes near me
      That I could inquire about
      I just want to get physically better first
      Then I will concentrate on finding things to do
      I'm just on my way to the hospital now
      For a follow up appointment
      So hopefully all is ok

      Delete
  4. ^The nursing home suggestion is a good one. I've done that before, and the people in those homes are usually so so grateful for someone taking their own time and spending it with them.

    It sounds like you're having trouble taking that first plunge in doing things outside the house (I could be wrong; that's just what I've gleaned from reading your last few posts). You talk about volunteering and the writing group and meetings, but it sounds like it's always something for tomorrow, you know what I mean? I've been in the same place--a total hermit trapped in my depression and never wanting to go anywhere or see anyone. It was other people that got me out of the house, and that might be something that would help you too. Maybe have your mum or your sister take you out to do something new? That would make it a little easier in stepping out of your current comfort zone.

    Take care, and remember Dory's advice: just keep swimming just keep swimming just keep swimming just keep swimming just keep swimming

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head Mich
      I am writing about all these things but when am I actually going to do them?
      The writers group starts on Monday
      And I am hella scared to go
      But I really want to go
      You know?
      Just getting out my front door is a struggle at the moment
      If I could just get off the couch
      I might have a fighting chance

      But yes
      You picked up on that
      And I'm sure others have too
      The truth is
      I Am afraid
      Afraid of everything
      My confidence has taken a knock recently
      And anything new is a struggle

      Having said all that though
      I am going to do my best to get to the writers group
      Even if it's just once I go
      There is a better chance I will go back x

      Delete
    2. I was part of a writing group for years, and absolutely loved it. It was really a lifeline when I was going through a bad patch. The reason stopped is that they moved the meeting place and now it's too far to drive on a worknight. :/ I still keep in touch with all the ladies from the group. I made some good friends.

      Delete
    3. That sounds really great Mich
      I hope mine goes well on Monday
      Your experience is encouraging x

      Delete
  5. Dear Ruby,
    it'll be great if you go to the writing group!
    just wanted to add -- you mention feeling like nobody likes you at your support groups. I know you know this, but ... usually when people are generally unhappy, they start feeling like nobody likes them. One's mind then produces "evidence" to support this, but you know, often it isn't true, often that feeling just means we are unhappy in ourselves, and we're projecting our self-hatred onto the people around us. Try not to take those feelings seriously. The more you love yourself, the more people will love you too :-)
    Lots of people love you already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. take care of yourself, Ruby.

    taking the first steps are the hardest, especially if you're doing them all over again but i'm confident that you can.

    find something you really love to do. honestly, something outside that you really enjoy. may it be nursing homes, writing groups, etc... you've mentioned a few of them. but honestly, i believe it is futile unless you find something that you really love. that makes you feel good. that gives you something to dream about, hope for. something a little like that. :)

    your hard work isn't crumbling. this time, going back to being better will be easier than it had been before... i promise you. it will get easier.

    real recovery is about choosing recovery again and again and again. you have to make the decision so many times that you'd feel like a broken record at some point. but one of those days, those small little decisions accumulate to something. they really do. i'm not fully recovered, but i'm so much better than i was last year. and next year i will be better than i am this year.

    i don't think you will fail.

    you've done so much good on your own. you are not at your worst. always remember that. you are not at your lowest point right now. you /can/ change. you can try.

    sorry that this comment seems to be in shambles.

    i've told you this a thousand times: to me, you are not a number. you are so much more. don't reduce yourself to numbers. you are a living, breathing organism and it is not fair to you to be reduced to something as intangible as a number.





    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hope nothing i said has offended you above. :) better safe to add this on than sorry. because this is a touchy subject.



    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about the breakdowns darling <3
    I'm sure people love you at your support groups, you're a lovable person darling. I agree that occupation does you some good.
    And happy new year, Ruby!

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruby,

    I just wanted to say that in November, I began volunteering to help with the elderly. I see someone two times a week. I am there for a few hours; I warm up a meal, do the dishes, throw in a load of laundry, whatever needs doing. We sit and chat (a little hard for me, as I am so introverted) but I have found that it's given my life meaning (not able to work, similar issues as the ones you have shared). The person I see is so very grateful and I find I look forward to it all week.

    You can do this, Ruby! If I can, anyone can. It takes so little time to make a huge difference in someone's life. <3

    Small

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary makes a good point about not getting the benefit from your meds. I'm really glad you're back seeing her, by the way.

    I can totally see you at an old fashioned social dance. The other ideas for occupation are great, but I think it'd do you the world of good to have fun and socialize in a healthy environment (assuming it's not a booze-filled event). Aged care is also a brilliant idea. I did some volunteer work though school when I was ~12 and loved it.

    Keep hanging in there, precious Ruby <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x