Saturday 6 February 2016

Job Update

As you may know
I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago
In an assisted living centre for the elderly
I sent in my application
And made it to the interview round
Which I had last Thursday
I was hoping to hear something this week
But I didn't hear a peep
As you also may know 
I have little or no patience 
I checked our letter box obsessively 
Hoping to find a letter 
It was killing me not knowing if I had got the job or not
I just wanted to know either way
So 
After there was no word yesterday
The thought of having to wait the whole weekend for an update was too much
And I decided to take the bull by the horns 
And ring the manager of the centre
Who was also one of the interviewers 
I dialled the number 
And waited as the phone rang and rang
Just as I was about to end the call
The manager picked up
I told her who I was 
She remembered me
Which I thought was a good sign
And asked if the position had been filled
I was fully expecting her to say it had been 
But instead 
She apologised
And informed me that the board needed to have one more meeting before making a final decision 
I took that as good news 
I still might have a chance!
The manager asked me if I was interested in the summer job 
Which would be working in their holiday centre for the summer months
I thought 'What the hell
And said I was
A job is a job right?
That led me to think that she might have me in mind for that job
I'd be happy with that
I'm just excited for someone to give me a chance to show that I can work hard and well 
And I think the holiday centre would be a lovely place to work 
It would mean dealing with people all day
Which would give me little or no time to devote to my ED
It would give me structure and purpose
Things I really crave at the moment

Although I think I still have a shot at getting the job in the assisted living centre
I feel they may be looking for someone with more experience 
But the thing is 
How am I to gain experience if no one gives me a chance?
It might be a gamble to employ me
But it's a gamble that I believe could pay off
But
As ever 
I have all bases covered 
And there is the option of the stables 
If the job doesn't pan out
And that is something that I am super excited about
The stables itself is quite near where I live
And it's a whole new project
So it would be awesome to be part of that
So what ever happens 
I will be happy either way 
It's actually exciting to see what will happen in the future now
I've been stuck for so long 
So to be finally moving forward 
And making steps to get well and gel myself is really making me feel good about myself 
My doctor is always telling me that I am too talented to just be sitting around 
I don't know about being talented 
But I could just waste my life away out in here in my little house
For a long time 
I didn't want to do anything 
I didn't want to move forward
I was content to abuse my meds
And spend my days slipping in and out of sleep 
Sitting on the mat beside the fire place 
Chain smoking 
Not giving a shit about myself 
Or anything else 

But there has been change in the last couple of years 
I am now 18 months smoke free
I've had periods of time when my ED was in remission
I am now taking my meds correctly and properly 
Which is huge progress
As for years I had used and abused them 
Now
My Mother looks after my meds
And gives me them every morning 
And that seems to work
I know I can't trust myself to take them properly 
And there is nothing wrong with a bit of support
Whatever works, right?

So 
All in all 
Things are moving along nicely 
Of course there is much work to do 
There is always work to do
But I feel like I am finally getting a grip on my life 
My ED is a daily battle
I have good days 
And bad days 
Days when I don't want to get out of bed 
Days when my purging is off the scale 
But the good days more than make up for the bad ones 
I have days when I laugh until my sides hurt
I have days when I feel loved and liked and needed and wanted
On a good day I feel something approaching happiness
I feel content to be me
I look at myself in the mirror 
And feel ok with what I see
These days make it all worthwhile 

Which brings me to my next point
I want you to know 
That no matter how bad things get 
No matter how low you go
There is always hope 
There are always possibilities and opportunities 
There is always a way out
Sometimes our issues and problems become so heavy 
That we don't think we can carry on 
I know 
I have been there
Addiction and disordered eating have been part of my life for 15 years now
But you know what?
I live with these conditions
I don't die with them 
I have been at deaths door 
Many many times 
I know I am lucky to have made it out alive 
For the longest time
Mine and my families life was bedlam 
So chaotic
So dysfunctional 
So all over the place
But we rode the storm
And came out the other side stronger and closer than ever 
They saw that doctors hate to see a patient with an ED coming
As they are so hard to treat
And often the one person who has the key to recovery is the one person that doesn't want to recover 
EDs are complex and complicated illness
Every one is different 
Everyone is individual 
And even though the symptoms are the same 
Each case must be treated differently 
It's not easy
By nature 
We ED girls are secretive and private 
We don't want others to know our shameful secrets 
Heck we can barely admit them to ourselves
Never mind anyone else 
But if we want to recover
We need to take that leap of faith 
Bite the bully 
And take a chance on opening up to someone 
Over the years 
I have come to a point where I can talk and write pretty openly about my life, my addiction and my ED
Maybe I am too open 
I don't know 
But I do know for a fact
That talking about it helps
Opening up and sharing the weight of our troubles helps 
It lessens the burden 
It helps us let go
So 
Today 
I ask you
I urge you
To talk to someone 
Choose one person 
Someone you trust 
A family member 
A friend 
Maybe someone on the Internet 
Pick one person
And talk to them 
Tell them what's in your head
And what is breaking your heart
You won't regret it
And I promise you you'll feel better 
So do it
Don't even think about it
Or give yourself time to back out of it
Just do it
Even if it's an experiment to see what happens 
Just do it you have nothing to lose...

If you did happen to talk to someone today
Let me know how you got on
Who you spoke to
How it went 
How you felt afterwards 
Inquiring minds want to know...

7 comments:

  1. I was working at the treatment center today and one of the girls said that the one that had just recently graduated had relapsed. Really breaks my heart to hear but I know that the long term program is so structured that once you leave, you're the responsibile one. I told her, well, maybe not dealing with her father's death had contrived and she said to me, "if I thought that way I would still be sick. You can't use what's happened as an excuse." though I know this, I think back to terrible times in my life I clung to my ED and bad relationships because that's all I knew and I thought, wow, what an amazing reminder. We aren't meant to stay the same and sometimes the jump to the unknown is far better than not jumping at all and remaining unhealthy. I know I've told you this before, but there were many times I would read your blog on the city bus when I was headed to school and I would say a prayer for you because I knew you weren't doing well and it fills my heart to see you're job seeking with a potential position when you were trapped at home before. Take the summer job. You can shine and move up. The fact that you were memorable alone is fantastic! And calling to inquire is also a sign of initiative and a dedication to working for them. I'm proud of you ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Eve
      That really means a lot to me
      I love to think of you
      half a world away
      In a parallel universe
      Reading my blog
      And writing a comment that is so thoughtful and heart felt
      If you are proud of me
      I feel the same about you
      Your story inspires me
      And yes
      We are four years down the road now
      Both fighting our own battle
      And willing each other up live

      Love you x

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!! You're amazing. When you do the summer job you'll have great experience and you can show them how awesome you are. I'm so happy for you!

    Shelby xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't got confirmation yet Shelby
      But I have everything crossed that this will work out

      But thank you anyway x

      Delete
    2. Oh sorry!! But i can't apologize for my high hopes.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get the result you are after Ruby. If not please don't be discouraged.
    It took me four years to get my last job. I still work, but on a voluntary basis.
    I think the horse place will be a good alternative in the meantime if you don't get this job. You can still volunteer while applying for other work.
    I've had applications delayed like this before and even if I didn't get the result I wanted I continued with my volunteer work.
    Good luck Ruby dear, I wish you all the best.
    Anne Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Ruby! It sounds promising. Even if you don't get the job, please don't lose sight of the achievements you've made - the interview, and even just looking and applying for work, has been amazing!

    Love <3 xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x