Monday 8 February 2016

Monday 8 February

Monday morning again
Gosh it comes around very quickly
Over the last couple of weeks 
We have acquired a new passenger on our weekly trip to the doctor
My neighbour now comes with us
As she had an appointment 
We joked this morning that soon we'll need to hire a mini bus for our little outing!
So we all piled in to my mothers little Toyota Yaris
No dogs this morning 
As it was pouring rain
And headed for the doctors 
Both mine and my neighbours appointment was at 9am
We arrived on time 
And I was called in before I even sat down
And my neighbour took a seat
My usual doctor is off this week
So I saw Nice Woman Doctor instead 
She is lovely 
I gave her a quick synopsis of the past couple of months 
We had a good chat 
She asked me if I have given up hope
I said I hadn't 
And I haven't 
I firmly believe I will get back on track 
I have to 
What is the alternative?
Lie down and give up?
No
I don't think so
At least not yet anyway

I came out of the doctors 
And my neighbour was still waiting 
She hadn't been seen yet 
Just then
The receptionist called us to tell us that her doctor was delayed due to car trouble 
I decided to go on up to the pharmacy 
And get that much done 
I was gone about 15 minutes 
When I went back down to the surgery
My neighbour was still there 
Apparently 
An emergency had come in 
So we were further delayed 
A few minutes later 
We saw a child coming out with what looked like lotion all over his face
It must have been a burn
He was crying so hard 
Eventually my neighbour was called in
And I went out to wait in the car
About twenty minutes later
My neighbour emerged from the surgery
And we set off for home 

Yesterday was a tough day 
I hate Sunday's anyway 
But we had house full of visitors 
As it was my sisters birthday

And at the moment 
That is difficult 
When I am well 
I love having people in the house 
But when I am struggling 
It's not so easy 
When my mother gave me my medication in the morning
I noticed that she had accidentially given me more than was needed
Because I was feeling anxious 
I took more than was prescribed
It was only after taking the pills
That I saw they were out of date
I took five of them 
Not with the intention of overdosing
I just wanted to sleep
To escape 
To check out of reality for a while
It wasn't long before I began to feel drowsy
And a bit out of it
I retreated to my bedroom 
And got in to bed 
Telling the others I felt unwell 
Which I did 
I slept for about three hours 
And got up to have dinner with my family
I don't know what it is 
But I've been feeling like an outsider on my family recently 
I feel like I am on the outside looking 
Excluded
Not part of things
I must stress that it's nothing that my family is doing
It's just indicative of my mental state at the moment 
My mood is low 
And with that 
My confidence and self esteem are in my boots 
It's hard to get involved in the family when I am feeling like this 
I just wanted to be alone
And be out of it
That is the ugly truth
We played a family game in the evening
Called My dysfunctional family
It was a laugh 
But it was a forced laugh on my part
Some of the visitors left in the evening m
I had a shower 
And got in to my pyjamas
I was relieved the day was nearly over

I weighed myself when I woke up this morning 
Just out of curiosity 
After a month of being the same weight
The numbers finally moved 
And I lost weight 
Usually I'd get a little buzz out of that 
But this morning I felt nothing
Absolutely nothing 

Time is going by so very quickly
It's scary how fast the years go by
I turn 35 this September
I swear I feel no more than 21
Yet a feel like I've lived so many different lives 
I keep hearing the interviewer from my job 
Telling me that I had a very 'interesting existence'
I guess I have 
My life has not been easy
But I still feel blessed for everything I have 
And I know if I want more 
I have to bloody well work for it
I have so many dreams and ideas 
That I don't know where to start 
I know if I put all my time and energy in to something worthwhile
As much energy as I put in to self destructing 
Then I might have a fighting chance at a good life
I went to such great lengths in my addiction and ED 
I literally would have done anything for the drug and to lose weight 
And by all rights
I should be willing to do anything for my recovery 
But as you know 
It's not easy 
Life itself is not easy 
Never mind with an ED and opiate addiction 
Everyone has bumps in the road 
Everyone has a story to tell
I am no different 
The only difference is that I choose to write publicly about it
And reach out to others

I believe I will come through this 
I believe that eventually I will put my issues behind me
Or at the very least learn how to manage them so i have some semblance of a normal life 
I have to believe this 
I can picture it so vividly 
Being well
Having my own place 
Studying 
Working 
Friends 
Boyfriends 
Fun 
Laughter 
Hard work
And hard play 
It's all so close I can almost taste it
It's there for me
I just need to reach out and grab it
And it's that leap of faith that is so very hard 
We all have a comfort zone 
Which of course is safe and comfortable 
We could stay there for the rest of our lives 
Content 
But there is so much to gain by moving out of that zone
Yes it's difficult to push past it
It's uncomfortable 
Scary 
It's venturing in to the unknown 
But the rewards are great
If we can just push the boundaries 
There is so much to gain 
And I know that is exactly what I need to do, if I want to recover
I do try to step outside my comfort zone 
But I know there is so much more I could be doing 
It's baby steps 
Baby steps all the way 

I wish you a good day today 
I wish you health and happiness and laughter and fun
I appreciate your reading and supporting my blog 
I would be lost without you...

10 comments:

  1. "I've been feeling like an outsider on my family recently"<--that is textbook depression. And I know exactly how it feels. I often feel like everyone around me just puts up with me out of pity, and can't wait for me to go away. Have you talked to Mary or your doctor about this? It's probably something to bring up.

    It's good to focus on the things you want, especially because all of them--your own place, friends, boyfriends, jobs--can never fully coexist with an ED. We have to choose one or the other.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Mich!
      Yesterday I felt like I was the third wheel
      Horrible feeling
      Couldn't even laugh
      But I think you are right
      It's depression talking

      I seem to be somewhere in between the two choices at the moment
      If I just picked a side
      I might have a chance...... X

      Delete
  2. bye-bye-bluebell.blogspot.com That's my main blog will comment again later xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. only stupid people don't feel afraid, brave people do and do it anyway

    ReplyDelete
  4. and you don't come across as depressed just tired of the eating disorder,its an exhausting and boring existence, i hope so much you can be free of it. you deserve more

    ReplyDelete
  5. "She asked me if I have given up hope
    I said I hadn't "

    this is really important. honestly, i think that you could get back oon track relatively easily. i firmly believe that when you decide to truly recover, no matter how low you sink, you know you can get out of this mess. i feel the same way anyway. i don't think i can fully go back to my old habits anymore. i don't even want to at this point. i just want a normal existence.

    "What is the alternative?
    Lie down and give up?"

    that's the spirit, Ruby!

    i think it's good that you could identify your triggers. honestly, i think knowing exactly what makes you so anxious and get those "i just want to get out of here" feelings make you more likely to think about: what if this situation happens again? what do i want to do then? honestly, i'm a little anxious today, but my friend said that i should try to make a series of plan. plan A, B, C, D and what have you. just so that i can anticipate anything.

    i get what you mean. i'm feeling honestly very similar to you right now. i also noticed a recent drop in my weight and instead of making me feel a buzz, it made me feel absolutely nothing. i think we rely too much on numbers. i think we know that we do.

    35 is still 21 in my eyes, you know. you're still a relatively young gal.

    honestly, we live in the age where 40-year-olds look like 20-year-old's. my instructor could easily pass off as 20 if she didn't have the tell-tale signs of aging in her face: i.e. the wrinkling, the crinkles and what have you. but honestly, she looks better than i do and i'm turning 21 this year.

    "I should be willing to do anything for my recovery."

    i think you are. i think we aren't aware of how much we'd actually do to recover. recovery is not a black and white road. most people lapse. it's just that you choose recovery again and again and again. and over time, you really do mentally start to become clear. it gets so much easier. until it's the only choice. i'm at a point where i am so sick of having an eating disorder i just want out. on my terms, and not on anyone else's.

    oh, Ruby, i love you.

    hopefully, i didn't say anything that i might offend you. honestly, i think you're inspiring. you've come so far. i think it's important to recognise how far you've come. i know you can get through the rest of the way. you can do this.




    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Agree with Mich
    Weighing once a week might be better"

    unfortunately, for me, weighing in once a week is more troubling to my mental health than it is to weigh in every day surprisingly enough. i do know that weighing in multiple times a day is disaster! i don't do that (anymore). it's mostly just in the morning. and if it's super early in the morning, i know that it's a false reading. if it's before my period, i know it's false. i sort of can cope with that for some reason. mostly because i know it's a natural fluctuation. i did find the weigh-in mostly every day is a happy medium for me. sure, i get upset and there's the daily fluctuations but it's so much better for me than weighing in every week. mostly because i don't feel the need to weigh myself during the week until i've eaten a whole lot. by then, of course, i'd have put on some (water) weight. so i've only succeeded in freaking myself out at that point. it's funny, isn't it?

    "And by the way
    Is Seamus Finnegan Irish?"

    ah. my pseudonyms for my friends are not very reliable. they're based on Harry Potter characters. unfortunately, i will always spell Finnigan as Finnegan (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Seamus_Finnigan). also another thing that's unreliable is gender. i think it's funny that i mention so many guy names when i actually mean they're a girl.

    there's my dictionary tab at the top of the page. i can link you to it, it's: http://glassimagination.blogspot.com/p/now-if-only-i-can-somehow-look-like-you.html.

    funnily enough, i do know a Seamus in my uni. he is indeed Irish. well, most of university professors are Irish. it's in the name of the uni. we have the Irish flag just outside our uni. it's kind of funny. oh, i think i've gone mad. i'm only halfway through, but honestly, i've seen so many Irishmen (mostly) that now every old Irish guy looks exactly the same. even though they really don't.






    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I see
    That explains a lot
    I must check out your dictionary
    As sometimes when I read your posts
    I get a bit confused
    So I need to catch up on all that x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x