Wednesday 10 February 2016

Job Update!

Man I thought today would never come
Having rang the manager of the centre last week
She told me that I would hear about the job yesterday or today
I patiently waited for the post man
And manned my phone 24 hours a day
Hoping to hear something
Anything
When the post hadn't come this morning
I popped in to my neighbour 
To see if she had got her post
She had
Which meant no letter today
And being the impatient little madam that I am 
I just couldn't wait any longer 
I had to know
So I found the managers number 
And paced up and down the room
As I waited for her to answer 
I was just about to hang up
When she answered 
She said she recognised my number
As she was going to ring me later on today
She also said that there was a letter in the post for me
I tentatively asked if the position had been filled
She said it had 
And unfortunately I didn't get it
My heart sank 
I knew it was a long shot going for this job
But I still felt it like a punch in the stomach 
Before I could even process this information
She continued to speak
'But' she said
'We were thinking of you to work in the holiday centre during the summer months, how would you feel about that?'
My sunken heart lifted 
And all of a sudden 
It was good news
You see, I actually applied for two jobs
One in the assisted living centre
And one in the holiday centre
For the months May to August
So yes 
They offered me the job in the holiday centre!
I was super excited to hear this 
And tried to contain myself as she explained the job description
Basically
It would be 30 hours a week
Meeting and greeting guests
Dining room duty
House keeping
And just being there to assist guests
The centre is run by a charity
And provides holidays for people that ordinarily could not afford one 
So on top of everything 
It's for a good cause
Yay!!!

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that I will have a job
There is no one at home today to talk to
So I rang my Dad
Who was delighted when I told him
He said it was a good opportunity to get back and track
And be as well as I can 
So I can work 
And yes
It is definitely an incentive to get healthy and strong 
It just feels so strange
I went for my first interview in ten years
And it all worked out for me
I keep thinking that they are going to ring me back
And say that they made a mistake 
In fact that I did not get the job
But really and truly 
I think I am better suited to this type of work
Rather than working with the elderly 
I like to meet people 
Love to have a chat 
And the craic 
And the holiday centre job is ideal for this 
I can imagine it would be really busy
And I love that 
I love having things to do 
Jobs to do
Places to be 
People to meet 
So all in all 
It's a great result!

The manger said I would be trained in May 
Ready to start for the summer season
So now is my chance to get in to recovery again 
Out with the scale 
Out with the purging 
And in with eating well
And generally looking after myself a bit better

Right 
I'm off to tell my neighbour the good news
See you on the next post....

12 comments:

  1. Yipppeee! So thrilled for you Ruby! My interview tips went down well then ;)

    Louisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisa
      And yes
      Your tips went down a treat... X

      Delete
  2. That is great! So happy for you! I think this is a great opportunity and one you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds perfect for you!! Screw all the other stuff...you got better things to do now. You're amazing. You truly are. Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Shelby
      I have a job!
      I actually have a job!!! X

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the job Ruby, I hope this is the thing you have been looking for. When I was going through my breakdown a few years ago, work was the one stable thing in my life and it help me get through... Good luck, I know you will do great xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Ruby. I'm sorry the first position didn't work out. Like I've said before though, please don't lose sight of what massive achievements you've made just in the process of applying. The summer gig sounds like a great opportunity, if for nothing else than to get relevant experience on your resume. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x