Wednesday 3 February 2016

Obsessed with my body - C4 Documentary

First of all
Apologies for the radio silence
And for worrying you
It wasn't an intentional thing not to post
But I did feel the need to be quiet for a couple of days
Thank you for your comments and emails of concern 
I am back....

I watched a show last night called Obsessed with my body
It was a documentary about vanity in males
And the explosion in fitness and health among young men
In the documentary 
Various young guys were interviewed
The camera followed one guy as he went about his daily routine
Spa treatments 
Followed by a hair do
During which the hairdresser asked him if he was going out that night
The guy said he wasn't 
That he was just going home to try n clothes
He admitted to taking hundreds of selfies a day 
And posted the ones he deemed good enough on social media 
During the documentary 
This guy went back to his home town to see his family 
He showed us his old school
Where he used to be bullied mercilessly 
His nose had been broken 
Twice 
It soon became clear 
That bubbling under the surface of this guys vanity 
Was a lot of hurt 
A lot of pain
And insecurity 
He admitted that he used his looks as a shield 
And seemed afraid to let anyone see the real him
He broke down in tears as he told us about his brother who had drowned 
My heart went out to him

The documentary also followed the huge fitness craze amongst men at the moment 
We were introduced to two cousins 
Who were in the process of trying to build  up a fitness empire on YouTube 
They have 8000 followers
And post inspiring videos
They were both in amazing shape
You can't deny that 
And they seemed like nice guys 
I just don't think it's healthy to put so much focus and emphises on looks

Then there was 16 year old Duncan
Duncan was from Scotland
A body builder 
We followed his story as he was competing in his first body building competition 
He worked hard at his fitness
And on the day of the competition 
He went to get his fake tan done 
The results were hilarious 
He was literally the colour of mahogany
But apparently they need to be dark while on stage 
So the lights pick up the definition on the body

The last guy who was interviewed
Spoke about his battle with anorexia
After some cruel
Comments from a class mate about his weight
This young guy stopped eating 
And lost 35 pounds in 3 months 
He is now weight restored 
And on the mend 
But it's taken blood, sweat and tears to get there 

I thought this documentary was eye opening 
Like a lot of people do
It's easy to forget that men worry about their bodies too
I think in my four years here on blogger
I have only ever come across one make blogger 
Who has since disappeared 
This also bears out in treatment 
Although the documentary stated that last year, 300 000 males in the UK were treated for eating disorders
In all my time in treatment 
I only ever met one male
As hard as it is to be a female with an ED
I fear it must be even more difficult to be a make suffering with an ED
EDs are historically seen a rich white girls disease
Of course this is a stereotype
And categorically untrue 
EDs do not discriminate 
And can effect anyone 
Any race 
Any gender 
Any age
It can happen to anyone 
No one is immune

A big craze at the moment is fitness
It's everywhere 
All over social media 
In magazines 
TV shows 
In this country 
There is a show called Operation Transformation
Where six members of the public try to change their lives by losing weight and getting fit 
And at the moment there is a noticeable increase in the amount of people out walking and running 
The shops are full of active wear clothing
There is also a campaign here to try as a nation to lose one million pounds 
Now I'm all for getting fit and healthy 
But there is a line 
A very fine line 
Where if you cross it
You become obsessed with it
It used to be mostly women who felt the pressure to tone up
But now it seems that men have the same, if not more pressure, on their shoulders 
Where males are concerned 
It seems it is the bigger the better 
Where as we girls seem to buy in to the idea that small is best
It's the thing that unites both men and women
We want to look out best
And our image has never been so important 
Because we put our lives on line for all to see
On Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
It seems that something didn't really happen 
Unless it was captured on camera 
And posted on Facebook 

They say a person makes up their mind about someone in seconds
We assess others in jig time
Their appearance 
Their body language
Their hair
Their clothes
We decide if they are some one we want to know
If we are attracted to them 
If we don't like them
And all before even speaking to someone
Everything is visual nowadays 
We take photos of everything
Our food
Our pets 
Our children
Our holidays 
Our outfits 
And we all look at everyone else's photos too
In a kind of a 'who has the best life?'competition 

When I was in rehab for the first time 
There was a pro boxer
Who got obvious reasons 
I will call The Boxer
He was bulimic 
And felt massive pressure to make weight
I can remember him at meal times
He would eat his own food
And anything you left on your plate
He was also a cocaine addict
And came in to treatment very thin
Almost doubled his body weight in four months 
I wonder how he is now

I think that images of models and very thin actresses and celebrities can exacerbate an ED
But I don't think they cause one solely by themselves
I think there are many factors that contribute towards someone developing an ED

With all that said
I was wondering about you
Have you come across many males in the ED world?
Was their experience different to ours?
Why do you think that we don't hear from a lot of men here on blogger?
Inquiring mind want to know....

16 comments:

  1. I have met two anorexic guys!

    One was a gay drag queen but he was very troubled generally - unhappy childhood stuff - but his boyfriend really like him frail and ill!!. It was all bit...sick. i wonder where he is now...i worry he has died. Drugs were also an issue. His family were dirt poor, just to bust that sterotype. Poor dear that he was...so kind but also sad.

    The other guy was into Rockabilly. He actually had bulimia as well. He was nice, quite functional i suppose. He had a few inpatient stints. He was very perfectionistic and had a well to do background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....continued

    He had a wife (also rockabilly) who politely put up with him for a long time but she told me he'd throw tantrums after weighing himself and cry after meals. I think she just....didn't want to see it. She herself was very beautiful, very curvy, gorgeous actually. She made a lot of beautiful iced cakes and loved entertaining so i think she just saw he wasn't willing to change. As far as i can tell, he still hasn't - 8 years later.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really sad Shelby
      Gosh
      How could anyone want their partner to be so ill?
      That in itself is sick and twisted

      I guess they are out there
      Males with EDs
      Lesser spotted
      But they are there

      Shelby are you blogging these days?
      How are you? X

      Delete
    2. Not right now. I will again soon. I'm kind of at a crossroads in life i guess.

      Delete
  3. My best friend has had ED issues for most of his life. We shared ED's in high school and for a few years after I finished college as well. There was actually a point where I was afraid I'd have to distance myself from his for a while as I was really struggling to recover and he was in full blown anorexia. He goes for extremes--either eat all the food, or eat none of it, and so his weight has also gone to extreme highs and lows over the years. Currently he's trying to just be healthy, and so far it's going well. I hope it lasts.

    I remember a couple male bloggers in our little community from a few years ago, but they've both long since disappeared.

    Glad you're doing ok. Any news on the job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the sad thing Mich
      We have to look after ourselves
      Protect ourselves
      And sometimes that means distancing ourselves from those who are still on the grip of the illness

      Thanks for your email by the way
      I hope I didn't worry you

      No word on the job yet
      I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing x

      Delete
  4. I haven't met an anorexic male but km really into the bodybuilding world and I know many have what they call "bigorexia". The thing I love about lifting is adding that extra few pounds and concurring it. There's something amazing about hitting a new max, feeling the definition, feeling stringer than you thought possible. I also know that when I'm away from the gym membership for a few days I panic. It's a very fine line and it takes discipline to achieve a competitive body. It's a whole community in itself. I think at times I feel unhealthy about it and other times I make a lot of friends with similar goals. Also, I love fitness clothing. :) so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for all the typos.. I was on my phone. Lifting saved me from anorexia but I know it has its dangers.

      Delete
    2. Yes I've heard of bigorexia Eve
      I remember Mary showing me some picture of men with the condition
      It was really shocking
      But then anorexia is shocking too
      I guess they are both in the same spectrum

      I love your positive attitude Eve
      It shines out of you
      And I am so very proud of you
      You have turned in to a beautiful young woman
      I hope that doesn't sound patronising
      I genuinely wanted to give you a compliment x

      Delete
    3. No! Your compliments mean so much to me Ruby. I remember I started blogging my second year of undergrad and I'm almost done with my masters. That's about four years together we've been on this journey. I'm really proud of YOU!

      Delete
  5. I know several males with disordered eating, however very few with an eating disorder. The one male I do know who had an eating disorder is now recovered, and he's transgender. I always wonder too, about how transgenders must suffer with body image, not feeling as though there body was made for them, and how difficult that must be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Niqi
      And it make sense that they would be anxious and uncomfortable if they feel they are in the wrong body
      I can't imagine how confusing and stressful that would be x

      Delete
  6. Ruby, did you watch World's Maddest Interview?

    Louisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet Louisa
      I went back to find the link again
      Can you send it to me again please
      Thanks my dear x

      Delete
    2. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/worlds-maddest-job-interview

      If it doesn't work, go to the 4od website and type "World's Maddest Job Interview' in the search box. Enjoy xxx

      Delete
    3. Thanks Hun
      My sister and I gonna watch it over the weekend x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x