Monday 1 February 2016

Thin

I was going through one of my notebooks over the weekend
And I stumbled upon a page titled 'Weight loss Challenge'
It was dated last summer
About two weeks before my mothers retirement do
I had carefully printed my weight
And the amount of weight I wanted to lose
I vaguely remembered writing this 
My whole family were going to be at this do
And I really wanted to look my best 
I had an orange and cream dress picked out
And it just about zipped up
My BMI was about 22
I wasn't unhappy
But I felt I should lose weight
I'm not even sure why 

My weight loss never happened though
And I went to mums do the the exact same weight 
Now there are photos all over our house of that night 
And funnily enough
People always say that I look really well in those photos 
I look bright 
Healthy 
Alive 
Now?
Well not so much 
My BMI has gone down almost five points 
I'm pale 
Wan
Sick looking 
 I any happier now that I have lost weight?
I can categorically answer no to that question 

I was speaking with my mother and sister over dinner a few days ago
My sister wanted to why and when this latest relapse had begun
My memory is not great at the best of times 
Fortunately my mother has the memory of an elephant 
And she could remember back to last November
When I spoke about wanting to lose weight
Remember the navy trousers?
They seemed to be the trigger
But really
I think it started sooner than that 
I think as far back as my holiday in September 
Things were changing
My mood was slowly but surely heading south 
I got back in to a pattern of purging while on holidays 
Therefore probably wasn't getting the benefit of my medication
Which led again to low mood
And that cycle continued
The navy trousers were just another symptom of a greater problem 

So here I am 
26 pounds lighter
And not one iota happier
All I feel is a hole in my soul
My clothes don't fit 
My face tells the story of every pound I've lost and gained 
I feel tired 
So very tired
Tired of playing this game 
This illness
The never ending cycle of 
Get well
Relapse 
Get well
Relapse
I swear 
More than anything else 
I am God damned bored of this illness
I want more 
I want to live my life 
To me
This illness has put my life on hold 
I had been doing well 
I had begun to take control of my own life 
I know I can get back there again 
I really believe that I can
I've battled constantly for years 
To get to the point where most people start off
But that's ok 
I don't wish my life were different
It's made me strong 
It's made my family strong
In a strange way
It has brought us closer than we've ever been
But of course 
It would be preferable not to have so much to deal with 
But I'm doing ok
We are doing ok 

So
Where to from here? 
As always 
It's baby steps 
Work with Mary
Work on the purging 
Eat little and often
Get out of the house more
Allow myself to gain a little weight
And I know along with that Will come feeling better 
I can't imagine how frustrating it is for those around me 
To witness my attempts to loll myself 
Because that's what an ED is
A slow suicide 
Don't kid yourself that it's anything less than that 
My sister regularly comments on my thin body at the moment 
My old anorectic self would love this
Not anymore 
I can see the worry in her eyes
And she has enough to deal with
Without having to worry about me
I know that my family feel helpless 
There is really nothing they can do to help me
Yes they are there 
And that is a huge support
But they can't force feed me
They can't stop me from purging 
I am a grown woman 
These are choices that I make 
And there is nothing anyone can do to help me 

You would think that I would have learned over time 
That thin does not equal happiness
But I keep falling for that line 
Hook, line and sinker 
I know I look better when I have at least another 15 pounds on me
I am only beginning to look better then
In recent years 
I have been 28-35 pounds heavier
And felt a lot better for it 
At the moment 
I feel like the wAlking dead
And I've been a lot thinner than this at times 
I can't imagine how ill I must have been then

Anyway
In other news 
I saw my doctor this morning 
He reduced my methadone by 2mls
Down to 26mls
I couldn't think of a reason to argue with him
So I went along with it 
I told him about the job interview last week 
He told me about another patient he saw recently 
Who also went for the job
She was already a home help
Working in the community with the elderly 
So she would have a lot of experience 
I guess that's what I'm up against 
Others who have a vast knowledge of the job
I am starting to think that I have not a chance to get the job
But I do have a plan B
So all is not lost 
I have since found out about two other stables bear enough to my area
Where they take people with mental health issues 
To work along side the horses in a therapeutic environment
So I am excited about that 
I really think I would get so much benefit from that kind of work
As you know 
I am a huge animal lover 
Really it's my ideal job
And getting the value of therapy from it would be an added bonus

So 
Lots to think about 
Lots to get excited about 
If nothing else the interview was good experience 
And I can always ask for feed back to see what areas I can improve on
I guess my health is a priority at the moment 
Physical and mental 
I trust that something for me won't pass me by 
I just need to keep my eyes and ears open 
Be positive 
Open minded 
And willing to learn 
I've come so far 
I'm not going to give up yet
Not by a long shot.....


5 comments:

  1. We are in a very similar place- the whole relapse/lapse/recovery cycle and like you know that i'm the only one who can do anything about it. And again, like you, need to cease purging, start eating regularly etc. I know I can, I've managed before, and will do so again. I have too much riding on not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when are they letting you know about the job? maybe you could contact the stables anyway while you are waiting, that way you are keeping yourself distracted. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping yourself distracted is a huge help, like anon said. If you fill your day with distractions, it will take up the time you might be spending bingeing and purging, and it will keep your mind off of the ED thoughts. Until you've found a job, staying out of the house could really help with getting your recovery back on track. Go out walking, or go to the library, or treat yourself to the cinema--anything to get your mind and your body away from the place where your ED is in control (i.e., the comfort of your own home and bathroom).

    Get out and grab recovery by the horns. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you ok rubs?
    I haven't written for a long time, as my family life has had few major knocks so was looking out for myself mostly...as we are our own number one priority, top drawer of our life's filing cabinet as my delightful and spiritual GP surprisingly but aptly puts it. Things are not as shaky now but still far from ideal. But we make the utmost effort to still love and laugh with each other, and I hope we are growing stronger for this positive survival coping way. God I hope we are! Anyhow no matter what you're up to and how you're feeling, I am hoping to read about the latest activities of your terrific mind and whatever may sweet Ruby Duby be up to.
    Lots of love from summery New Zealand ♡ k xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x