Tuesday 5 April 2016

D is for Drugs

Ok 
I'm back on track for the A-Z Challenge
Today 
D is for Drugs
As you may know 
In another life 
In a parallel universe 
I was addicted to drugs
In my teens 
I dabbled with all the usual suspects 
And at 18 
I took heroin for the first time 
I was instantly hooked
The thing about drugs 
Is that at first, it's fun
For me
I can still remember fondly the first time I took heroin 
I felt like I had finally found something that helped me be myself 
It gave me confidence 
It helped me feel like I belonged
Like I finally fitted in
I felt untouchable 
Invincible 
Happy 
Like a was in a safe cocoon 
And nothing could hurt me
Of course 
The honey moon period does not last 
And I soon found myself in the murky underworld that is addiction
I spent years trying to recreate that first time I used 
But it was never the same 
Now I was using to not go in to withdrawal
Just to feel normal
I became an expert liar
A proficient thief
And a master manipulator 
I hurt the ones I love the most 
I ripped my family apart 
I left a trail of destruction in my wake 
It was a nightmare 
And I couldn't get out 
For a long time I didn't want to get out

For most of my addiction
I was with my ex boyfriend 
You often see couples in addiction together 
Because no matter how bad things got 
We still had each other 
No matter how low we sank
We still had each other
But for the last couple of years of my addiction 
I was on my own
It was hell 
I was a young girl in a big city 
Alone 
Afraid 
Vulnerable 
I was taken advantage of many many times 
And there was nothing I could do about it 
My addiction was cyclical 
Drugs 
Treatment 
Methadone 
Get clean 
Drugs 
Treatment 
Methadone...
On and on it went 
For a long time 
I didn't want to get clean 
I just wanted the drug 
I spent a lot of time in treatment and hospital 
But always relapsed spectacularly
I was even frog marched over to London 
To do a detox
And yo have any opiate blocker implant fitted 
Which meant if I used 
It would have no effect 
It was supposed to last six months 
But for me 
It lasted a lot longer 
And it didn't stop me using 
I just used other drugs 

My last slip was last year 
Remember The Boy 
And the poppy tea?
That lasted about a month
But caused so much hurt to my family 
I never used to count my clean time 
But I have started now 
And February 14th was day one 
As far as drugs are concerned 
I am quite stable 
As I wrote yesterday
I still get horrendous cravings every now and then 
But I now know how to handle them
And I know they will pass 
I can't say I will never use again 
As I don't know what the future holds
But I do know that I won't use today 
I will stay well today 
I will be a good person today

When ever I tell someone about my past addictions 
People are really surprised 
I guess I am not your typical addict 
And that helped keep me out of trouble over the years 
I suppose everyone has a story to tell 
And this is mine 

8 comments:

  1. You're one in a million Rubs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! I'm Shalini and I'm on co-host Pam's Unconventional Alliance Team. Dropping by to say hi and good luck with the challenge! Could you please put up the AtoZ Badge on the sidebar, please? Thanks!
    Let's have a rocking April!
    You can read Army Wife Tales at
    Tale Of Two Tomatoes
    Also, visit to take a look at 26 lip-smacking Chicken Recipes at Something's Cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shalini and welcome!!
      Thanks for stoping by
      I will put up the badge
      Thanks for the reminder
      And good luck to you too with the challenge x

      Delete
  3. This brings tears to my eyes. Good tears. :) The one day at a time thing is really huge for me. I'm so glad that you're still with us. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw SW
      Thank you so much
      That is so kind
      I'm just going to check how you're getting on with the challenge x

      Delete
  4. I think I've said this before, but kicking opiates is no small feat. You are a fecking Viking. I abused them for a long time to help with over-exercising, which resulted in my permanently-fecked Achilles tendon. My sinuses will probably never recover either.

    It's tough to get back into a state of mind where you no longer want to check out of reality. You've been making huge steps recently, though. Reality is tough. A lot of the time, it totally sucks. But when it's good, that feeling is better than any high you'll get from a drug. We have to always cling to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am a USA citizen, am here to testify how i got my Ex back with the help of this God-sent called Dr Unity for the great things he has done in my life.. First of all i want to thank mareen for the post she made on how Dr Unity helped her in bringing back her lover. At first when i saw the posting i was so happy and in the other hand so scared,That this might not be real, Then i decided to give it a try in which i contacted Dr Unity and told him how my lover left me for another lady for the past 3years and i have been lonely and depressed without him,So i asked him if he has helped anyone called mareen and he said yes, that was the lady he helped in bringing back her lover. I said good and i told him that if he can help me in bringing back my own lover,He laughed and said once i have contacted him that my problem will be solved.He said that my lover will be back to me within 48hours, Truly when the 48hours was completed i got a text from someone saying am sorry, then i decided to call the number i saw it was my lover Steve voice.i was so happy he was begging me and crying on phone, That he is ready to do anything that will make me happy in life,So i told him to come over which he did,As he was coming he came with a brand new Car as gift. i am so happy today with the help of Dr Unity. He has proven to me that he is not going to leave me for another lady again and stay with me forever, Am so happy today and am also thanking mareen for posting this early.Dr Unity you are truly a man of your word. He can also any kind of sickness and he can solve any kind of problems in this world. Friends i believe Dr Unity is a man to trust and believe on. You don't need to cry anymore Dr Unity has been sent to clean our tears you can contact him on his Email:( Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or cell phone +2348072370762).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x