Monday 11 April 2016

I is for Identity

I was another tricky customer
But after giving it some thought
I decided to go with Identity 
As it's something that comes up for me again and again
In my illness
And in recovery 
When I was very unwell
My whole persona revolved around both my addiction and my ED
From the age of 18
I was Ruby the drug addict
And that's a label that's hard to shake 
As along with that come the labels of liar, thief, manipulator 
They say a reputation takes years to form
But only seconds to undo
I had a reputation of being trouble
And boy did I live up to it 
Somewhere along the line
My ED began to develop
And it wasn't long until I had acquired a new label
Anorectic 
Quickly followed by bulimic
In a strange way
Once you are labelled with these titles
You feel like you have to live up to them
I knew nothing about eating disorders before I was diagnosed
I had never known anyone with one 
I had no experience at all 
My diagnosis was a complete shock 
I wasn't trying to lose weight 
I wasn't unhappy with my size
In fact more than that 
I never gave it much thought 
It wasn't until the professionals started weighing me 
That I began to take notice of the numbers 
They seemed important to them
So they became important to me
And have been the Bain of my life ever since 

After my diagnosis 
I completely identified myself by my illness 
I was no longer Ruby 
I was Ruby the sick one
And when you are sick 
People are generally very nice to you 
Very caring 
You get a special kind of attention
I know it might not be popular to say that 
But for me 
It was the truth 
I used to get a kick out people telling me that I looked unwell
That I looked pale and wan
I almost wanted people to feel sorry for me 
Why?
I'm not entirely sure 
But I do know
That once you become the sick one 
It's really very difficult to shake that label
Because being sick becomes your whole world 
If it's taken away 
What will be left?
And that's exactly what terrified me
Who would I be without my illness?
It was like my ED slowly but surely taking over my life 
My personality
My body
And without it 
I had nothing 

There comes a point in life 
When you either sink or swim
I came to that point about two years ago  
After I got out of hospital for the umpteenth time
I had to make the decision 
To recover 
Or sink further down the rabbit hole
I began to gain weight 
And get well 
It hasn't been a straight road since then 
I've been up and down and all over the place 
And had a minor relapse last year 
But 
I bounced back 
And continue to bounce back
There was a time 
Not too long ago 
That I did nothing of a day 
Apart from binge and purge 
All I did was watch TV all day 
And eat 
And throw up
I had nothing going on in my life 
No job 
No course 
No hobbies 
No interests 
It was just me and my ED
But over the last year 
I have carved out a life for myself 
Now I have a life 
I am no longer Ruby the anorectic 
I am Ruby the woman
Ruby the daughter 
Sister 
Auntie 
Dog owner
Horse rider 
Ruby the dancer 
The swimmer 
Ruby the recovering addict and anorectic 
I am
Now I am so much more than my illness 
My illness has faded in to the background 
And I  starting to live 
And love
My life 

8 comments:

  1. hey good one! Identity, so important. i believe you are all those things and more. shelby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Shelby
      It's something that has come up a lot for me over the years
      Labels can be dangerous though
      As they are so hard to shake

      Hope you're well friend
      Are you blogging these days? X

      Delete
    2. nah. just too busy keeping up with life right now x

      Delete
  2. good for you Ruby, i can't believe how much your life has changed since you started blogging, don't forget we are waiting for the book! xx jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jo
      For being part of my story
      And fur being a friend

      Ha!!
      God if I could just get myself together and put the book together
      That would be awesome!!! X

      Delete
  3. Identities are indeed hard to shake off. In high school, I was That Kid, the ones the other kids weren't allowed to hang out with. In the family I've always been The Weird One or the Dumb One. Often (though no one said it out loud), I just feel like The Spare One. In more recent years, I have become The Crazy One.

    It still amazes me how so many of us never realize we had an ED until after other people notice. I thought I was just on a diet. When I first got obsessive with the numbers, I thought maybe I was just a little too dedicated to the diet. And then I couldn't stop. No one really expressed worry, though, except Mum. And her advice was, "for feck's sake just eat like a normal person."

    You are Ruby, and you are loved for that fact more than any of the words you might use to try and identify yourself. You are Ruby who isn't afraid to tell her whole story, and Ruby whose words inspire others. I presume I'm not the only who makes a morning routine of reading your newest post, even if I don't comment right away. Your words are powerful and they probably keep a lot of people going, much more so than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Mich wow!!
      Thank you for those lovely and kind words
      You just made my day
      I am going to text you right now x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am a USA citizen, am here to testify how i got my Ex back with the help of this God-sent called Dr Unity for the great things he has done in my life.. First of all i want to thank mareen for the post she made on how Dr Unity helped her in bringing back her lover. At first when i saw the posting i was so happy and in the other hand so scared,That this might not be real, Then i decided to give it a try in which i contacted Dr Unity and told him how my lover left me for another lady for the past 3years and i have been lonely and depressed without him,So i asked him if he has helped anyone called mareen and he said yes, that was the lady he helped in bringing back her lover. I said good and i told him that if he can help me in bringing back my own lover,He laughed and said once i have contacted him that my problem will be solved.He said that my lover will be back to me within 48hours, Truly when the 48hours was completed i got a text from someone saying am sorry, then i decided to call the number i saw it was my lover Steve voice.i was so happy he was begging me and crying on phone, That he is ready to do anything that will make me happy in life,So i told him to come over which he did,As he was coming he came with a brand new Car as gift. i am so happy today with the help of Dr Unity. He has proven to me that he is not going to leave me for another lady again and stay with me forever, Am so happy today and am also thanking mareen for posting this early.Dr Unity you are truly a man of your word. He can also any kind of sickness and he can solve any kind of problems in this world. Friends i believe Dr Unity is a man to trust and believe on. You don't need to cry anymore Dr Unity has been sent to clean our tears you can contact him on his Email:( Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or cell phone +2348072370762).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x